• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Hello from Bastimentos Panama !

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Al I got up to our cabin and looked at the frig vacuumed out the flue lit it up it cold up in about 6 hrs about normal.
I took a look later and the burner is still running full tilt cranked the thermostat back to get it to go to pilot and full tilt on burner.
Do you know were to get the servel style controls? I drew a blank on the web.

tom

A burner ?? My frig only has a pilot light ???????? I would try a solar supplier to find parts in the states . I have never seen a frig with a burner .

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Well the painter is almost done with the first painting and starting work on the second one now . I sure like his work .

The first chicken coop is sitting out side . This one will be used for the laying hens . I'll be building the attached PVC wire cage pens tomorrow .

Attachments

• painting 3 017.jpg
    painting 3 017.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 154
  • painting 3 021.jpg
    painting 3 021.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 159

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Great pics! When are we going to see the chicken houses and chickens?

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Quite the artist you have found down there. Very nice!!!!!!!

tommu56

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
A burner ?? My frig only has a pilot light ???????? I would try a solar supplier to find parts in the states . I have never seen a frig with a burner .

Don't forget the frig is old (early 1940's) it has a bunson looking burner that shoots back in to the flue.

I did find an Amish guy Lancaster that works on them but I'll have to drive out and see what he can do.

tom

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Another typical Panama Day down here . I get up to start a new project and 5 minutes later the wife has me making a giant shoe box for all the sandles and tennis shoes . The local dog has been stealing ours so now he will have to steal the whole damn box to get my shoes .

The Boat garbage guy that picks up the sacks of trash showed up and wanted to see our reciept that we paid for trash pickup . I asked the guy who sent him and he told me his boss did . I then asked him why his boss would send him if we had not paid for trash pickup !!!! I think he finally got the message . I was informed that I needed a trash bin for the bags so this afternoon was spent doing that .

Now maybe with luck I can do tomorrow ,what I planned to do today !!

It turned hot !! Its about 90 and humidity must be about 95 % . Sure makes your skin soft and pretty !!!

The Painter keeps making changes and I think he might just be here forever . Of course the wife fixes him a nice lunch each day so I think he really enjoys coming over here .I expect him to be finished with the first three paintings in the next couple days and then he will be starting to paint murals on the walls downstairs .

You all have a good one ,,,,I am headed for the hammock !

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Well......The paintings are done . They turned out real nice . The artist will be back in 15 days to start work on the additional work the wife wants done . I'll post some nice pics tomorrow .

Took a trip to a local resort to take clipping of flowers and came back with a boat load . I have no idea what they all are called ,but I spent all afternoon building flower boxes so the men could fill them up .

I need to go have a little talk with a asshole gringo in the morning . In Panama ,the first 15 feet of a island is public right of way but this jerk refused to let my workmen walk on the public path after work to get home tonight.
I plan to give him a lesson in respect in the morning . DUMB ASS! All it takes is one jerk like this to ruin it for every gringo down here . I plan to get the local police to come along and put the fear of God in him .I hate Gringos .....

I think I got every Mapache ( Racoon) on the island calling me tonight !! I gotta stop calling them :w00t2:.

Got a boat load of company coming in on Friday for the next 10 days so I don't think you all will hear much from me . Enjoy the vacation from my big mouth !!!:w00t2:

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Here they are ! We are really happy. Karen,my wife is busy finding walls for him to paint on !

Attachments

• paint4 022.jpg
    paint4 022.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 111
  • paint4 023.jpg
    paint4 023.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 108
  • paint4 024.jpg
    paint4 024.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 107

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Here you go Guys . The famous Red Poison Dart Frogs of Panama . People pay big bucks to go photograph them in the Marine park,next door to us and we have tons of them for anyone take take pictures of for free .

Attachments

• paint4 007.jpg
    paint4 007.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 213

loboloco

So, did you deal w/ the idiot Gringo?

Yes , But I did not need the police . The first 15 feet of the shore is public access . The trail curves up the hill a little so the guy ( Doctor from the states) said he was trespassing .We are cutting a fine line here . The doctor would do well to get along and get to know the locals instead of being afraid of everyone that walks the path .

They have had two break ins and the reason is this guy treats everyone like shit . He would not even give my guy a chance to explain he was just on his way home from working for me . I still wish guys like him would just stay in the states where they belong ......I did tell my workman I was sorry that we had shitty Gringos from America that treat locals like that ,but not all of us are like him . This doctor would do well to buy a place in the Bahamas or Florida and forget Panama .

Last edited by a moderator:

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Well.....Its quiet here ,once again . We said goodbye to our guest in Panama City and they should arrive in Idaho tonight . We had a great time .
Ended up with a new dog that my wife adopted and one of the young girls from Idaho fell in love with my Caretakers son on the last day she was here . I think she was miffed because she had somehow not noticed him until the last day before leaving . I suspect she will be back soon .lol

It was a great day as we returned from Panama City this morning and I had a chance to talk with the manager of the local Smithonian Inst.on the flight back about taking on my Caretakers son on a ROP program . He agreed to do so and we meet next week to get everything arranged for Billy to go to work . What a lucky KID!!!

I am enjoying the peace and quiet for a few days now that all the company is gone .Panama city and the locks are always fun ,but it is sure nice to be back on the island .

Chickens arrive in the next couple days !!!:w00t2::clap:

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
AHHHhhhhh! :clap:Just had some Monkey's tail . It was delicious ! Before you start barfing , "Monkeys tail" is a fruit . Its can be up to 3 feet long and in a long skinny pod . You twist the pod which splits open the pod gaining access to the seeds that are the size of almonds . Just suck the membane off the outside of the seed. It is very sweet and filling .Camera battery is dead or I would have pictures . Maybe tomorrow .

Found out today one of the little girls we send to school is so smart that the school is jumping her 2 years !! The family will also recieve a check from the Panama Goverment to show their support to education .

Having trouble getting our chickens and they should finally arrive next Friday . I have one big coop and one breeding coup still to build . 1/2 way done now !!!:clap::clap:

Going to build one small house (casa) for my new full time worker as soon as the chicken coops are finished next week .

Went to the bank today . Boy,,,, the new banking laws to inforce stopping drug money is involved in Panama .I have to re apply all my information then make a trip to the mainland to get proper papers . I am lucky as most new clients are just turned down .

Artist should be back next week !

I might take off a couple days and go fishing for Red Snapper . The guys will smoke it in coconut husk . Best fish I never had .

If your in the area , please stop by ......:smile::smile:

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Al, you need to focus! Are you going to be a chicken farmer or a fisherman? Snapper sounds good to get a break from chicken and fruit. Enjoy the fishing!:clap:

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Al, you need to focus! Are you going to be a chicken farmer or a fisherman? Snapper sounds good to get a break from chicken and fruit. Enjoy the fishing!:clap:

You cannot be serious !!! Focus !!! I can hardly see the keyboard,,,, I have had so much Rum tonight !!!!!Life is good !

Say ! Why don't you hop a plane and come down ??? The humidity and heat has done wonders for my shoulder .The Rum helps too !!:clap::clap:

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
How can you call it "tonight" when by my best guess it is only 4 in the afternoon down there! Early start today?:yum: As for the shoulder I have surgery scheduled for May 7 to get it sewn back together. Then 30 days in a sling and 60 more of light duty. Basically my summer is going to be shot for any projects so I am busting ass to get things done now. I am so not looking forward to teaching the wife to mow lawn.:hammer: She has already told me no cows this year so I won't have pasture or barn work to do. As long as I can get out of the pool with my left hand it will be good!

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
. As long as I can get out of the pool with my left hand it will be good!

If you can get the wife in the pool it might be even more fun :clap::clap::clap:!!!
I love the privacy of the lagoon . Oh ya ..... life is good :brows::w00t2:

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Well we are currently enjoying a heat wave and she is talking about the pool already. I hope it is a warmer summer than last year was. She has not seen the forecast calling for 30F this weekend!:hammer:

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Its 5 oclock somewhere so I am starting early !:w00t2:

Built a gravity fed fresh water system for the chicken coop today. Caputured rain water in a 55 gallon plastic barrel and a toilet valve and we are now in bussiness !

Gave my old king size mattress to my caretaker and have not seen him since ?????? I think he is taking a extended nap .

Hot and muggy here with lots of rain . All the fresh water tanks are full again .

Everything we planted has come up and now its time to start transplanting to bigger containers . Land crabs are a constant problem !!!

I aquired two old wooden boats to plant are veggies in . That should keep the crabs out for a while :shifty:.

Wife found a nest of parrots and is plotting to get a baby out of the deal . I really hope she loses on this one . Parrots are too damn loud ..

Guys found a 10 foot Boa on the top of the property . Our guest thought it was great .......I hate fickin snakes .....:hammer:

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Off to the other island for food shopping this morning . Rained all night ,but it will be hotter than hell today .
2 chicken coops built , two to go . I am learning more and better ways to build with each one I do .

Fickin monkeys playing in the trees kept me awake half the night ! Stupid ass monkeys .
The fickin rooster has lost all sense of time and will start crowing at 2:30 in the morning . May have chicken soup for dinner .

Weed eater broke so the men are cutting 4 acres of grass with machetes.Looks like it was done with a lawn mower .:biggrin::smile:

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
Al, Can you post some pictures of your chicken coops when you get the last one done.

Any tips you have learned would be good too!

Thanks,

PB

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
Weed eater broke so the men are cutting 4 acres of grass with machetes.Looks like it was done with a lawn mower .:biggrin::smile:

Al, when I worked in Equatorial Guinea our gardener used to cut the yard with a machete. Being good hearted, we had a lawn mower and a weed eater sent in from the States. After showing him how they worked and how they had to be looked after, we left him to it. He seemed all excited about getting modernized. A couple of days later I went outside to smoke a cigar and I could hear both the mower and the weed eater running. During the course of my smoke neither engine got above an idle. I peeked around the side of the house and he had both pieces of equipment set off to the side and running while he hacked at the grass with his machete. He was just humoring the gringos and preferred his own way of doing it. I must admit the grass looked great and he was just as quick. Eventually both pieces of equipment "took a walk". Never did find out what happened to them.

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Yes , I am beginning to see the waste of buying weedeaters . The men can chop much faster and there is nothing to keep breaking .

As far as lessons learned about chicken coop building , I have learned plenty . If it is very large mobile one on wheels , you need a tractor to tow it around . The rest will be built stationary with elevated wire floors so the crap can fall through on a blue tarp and reused as manure to promote plant growth .We can sell all the chicken crap we can produce . The islands soil is lousy unless you add to it . I'll grab some pictures later . I am going down to the shop to start the last two buildings today .

Its getting harder and more expensive to get approval and permits to build a second home on the water for my new worker so I decided to just give him the rental cabin to live in. Its a little overkill for just him but it will save me a lot of headaches trying to get a second caretakers home built . .Just like in America ,every goverment office has their hand out for money . Now I will have to upgrade the other house to keep everyone happy . Go figure !!!

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Well ,we have adopted a dog . I named her Emmy . She is a female that was abandoned after she had a litter of pups .The locals sell the pups but lose interest after the dog starts to grow . She was skin and bones ..
Yea ,I know .... call me a softy , but I can't stand to see a animal suffer . She is all ready house broken in one week and very protective . She will live with my caretaker when we are not here . She sleeps every night at the foot of the bed and will lick my toe if she needs to go outside to take a leak . She is quite a dog .

Tried to get permission to build the new house for the new guy ,but what a pain in the ass if you are a gringo and want to help a local Indian .Every day someone in goverment has their hand out wanting money . It won't happen this time as I know how to play the game . I found a way around it and in a year there will be a new house built for him . Until then he will live in my rental cabin .

Found out yesterday my wind turbine was not working correctly .I opened up the fuse box and found the problem . The solar guy who installed my turbine brake switch put it in upside down . Glad I never really needed the extra solar power to keep the house operating .

Life is still good and the women and Rum is cheap !!!!

More tomorrow !:yum::yum::w00t2::wink:

jpr62902

Jeanclaude Spam Banhammer
SUPER Site Supporter
Shame on you, Al. Shame, shame, shame on you.

Where are the pics? You know better than that.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Wife took the camera away again, didn't she! Al was sneaking pics of the native girls when he went shopping!:hammer:

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
The chicken coops are built !!!I'll grab pictures when it quits raining . I actually wore boots for 2 days to get it done . Mud was everywhere .Boots were two years old and one sole completely fell off today ?????? I finished working with one boot on and the top of the other one covering my sock .It made life interesting . Leather and the tropics do not mix. I bet I have not wore those boots 15 times in two years .The guys had a good laugh .....Back to wearing Teva's sandles tomorrow.Got the new guy moved into the best temporary home he has ever had this afternoon . He is all smiles . I'll start slowly building him a permanent home over the next year.I have to start out calling it a swim platform and slowly enclose it over the next year . The way the goverment treats the Indians down here is bull shit . They are the only true Panamians in Panama ....Found a Caiman (gator) in the jungle but the SOB was way to big to mess with . About a 8 feet long female with a very bad attitude . We just let it swim away into the swamp . That was fine with me .........I headed in the other direction as quickly as one boot and the top half of another boot could move me . Life in the jungle ...... Its a new adventure each day!

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
You should have killed that gator! good eating and one less to go after your chickens.:whistling: