• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

I have a nieghbor ....

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Its a slow day so I thought I would relate a true story .

I have a American neighbor about 1/4 mile away on the same Panama Island as me . This is his second time he has lived in Panama . He hates Panama but keeps a place here to please his wife who loves Panama .
Now old Ed is always figuring some Panamaian is out to screw him . He hires local help and pays them cash to side step having to pay SSI, med , etc.

Yes Panama does have those added into workers wages . The standard rate is about $1.50 a hour now . If they are "day laborers" you do not have to pay the benifits .

Ed was building a Sea wall at his place and you could hear him from my place yelling at the local help to hurry up and move faster every day . At $1.50 a hour ???????. Give me a break ......These guys are not fast but they get the job done . Nobody is getting rich .

Anyway , one day Ed shows up at my place very early in the morning and needs electrical advice on a wiring problem . AS usual he is complaining about the no good locals . As I am drawing up the wiring diagram for him ,two little local Indian girls about 5 years old bring me my Fresh hot bread delivery . They walk a mile from town to bring it to me hot and fresh and they always leave with a tip . Anyway I tell Ed that is my bread delivery and to hold on while I go pay the girls .

He cannot believe it and states that he sees these little girls walk right by his house every couple days and not once have they stopped to offer him Bread . He is quite put out about it . He is actually getting mad :unsure:.

I finally had all I could handle , smile at Ed and say . "They don't stop Ed ,because you are a asshole ".
The look he gave me was priceless but I actually think he learned something that day .

You can't treat people like shit and expect any favors . Everytime I have friends come to Bocas I tell them the same thing . Leave the "American attitude at the door cause your not in America any more" . It could be said for any country we visit but you would be amazed how many times I hear Americans say " In America we do it this way " . Usually all that does is insult the poor local workers intelligence . Its better to show them than to belittle them for the only way they know how to do something . As they say "Actions speak louder than words " .

Last edited:

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Good post Al. I learn from the Amish and they learn from me. I am showing Daniel how to modify his kubota engine to use GM parts. He is worried about how to do a bolt circle for a fan so Monday I will show him how to use an indicator and step it off on his milling machine. In a few weeks we are going to work together and tap some maples for syrup. I am curious to learn the process he uses.

fogtender

Now a Published Author
Site Supporter
Good story Al, sounds like you have a pretty nice place there and the people like you.

Maybe you should spend your time there instead of Haiti, you can do more in Panama by the sounds of it than you could do in Haiti working as a team... In Panama, it sounds like you are already a #1 Guy and you do a lot for them already!

That alone should make you pretty popular!

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
We get that up here allot. Seems like every year, there's some american that comes up here for moose hunting full of his american attitude thinking he's the best hunter that ever set foot in the bush. Usually, it's that same guy that our local search and rescue is sent out to go search for when he gets lost a mile from his hunting camp.

If your going to a different country, you've gotta respect that country and leave your attitude at the door.

Alonzo Tubbs

Carpe Diem
SUPER Site Supporter
We get that up here allot. Seems like every year, there's some american that comes up here for moose hunting full of his american attitude thinking he's the best hunter that ever set foot in the bush. Usually, it's that same guy that our local search and rescue is sent out to go search for when he gets lost a mile from his hunting camp.

If your going to a different country, you've gotta respect that country and leave your attitude at the door.

You should see the Canucks try to drive 75 MPH on I 75 S.

In Alaska, Canadians full of advice on how we could do things better if only we would listen to them...

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Maybe you should spend your time there instead of Haiti, you can do more in Panama by the sounds of it than you could do in Haiti working as a team...

Well Foggy , I have to go to Haiti to satisfy myself and at the least try to help.

Maybe Haiti will be a bust ?:unsure:

But at least I won't always wonder if I could have helped make a difference .I'll know .

If it does not work out, I still have lots to do in Panama and other places too .
Life is an adventure .:smile:

bill w

good post al....once again i admire you and what you do...we get a lot of the same people as "ed"in alaska....most of us realize they are lost,but we still try to get them on the right path.treat people as you would want to be treated and it will be a much better place for all.even when you are still in the US...bill w