• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Daedong's (Vin) trek across the US

daedong

I've started a new thread for our trip.
We landed in LA on Sunday 31st and immediately hired a car (GMC Envoy) and drove to Vista Ca.
Spent a couple of days there before leaving for our trip across the US. Anyone who doesn't know the background to this trip can go to these links.
http://www.forumsforums.com/3_9/showthread.php?t=13377&page=7
http://www.forumsforums.com/3_9/showthread.php?p=194104#post194104
Left Vista yesterday (Thurs 4th Sept) and drove north through LA to Morro Bay where we camped.
Today (Sept 5th) drove further up the coast on the Pacific Highway, but unfortunately it was very heavy fog and as we have seen many miles of coast in our life time we decided to head inland. We turned off at a place called Kirk Creek and drove through the mountains via Fort Hunter Liggett military base to the Salinas Valley. It was well worth the drive. We are now camped at San Luis Reservoir.
Tomorrow we head to a place north of SF to camp with California (Chris).
Attached pic of our first night camping.
firstpics016-1.jpg

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
Vin, the bottle on the table, what is it? :beer: Too much of that and you will be back on the left side of the road :oops:

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
I really hope you guys went to Monterey CA. Then drive to Pacific Grove, Pebble Beach and then into Carmel CA.. If you do go that way PM me for some info on some of the best restuarants in the world.:thumb:

I've started a new thread for our trip.
We landed in LA on Sunday 31st and immediately hired a car (GMC Envoy) and drove to Vista Ca.
Spent a couple of days there before leaving for our trip across the US. Anyone who doesn't know the background to this trip can go to these links.
http://www.forumsforums.com/3_9/showthread.php?t=13377&page=7
http://www.forumsforums.com/3_9/showthread.php?p=194104#post194104
Left Vista yesterday (Thurs 4th Sept) and drove north through LA to Morro Bay where we camped.
Today (Sept 5th) drove further up the coast on the Pacific Highway, but unfortunately it was very heavy fog and as we have seen many miles of coast in our life time we decided to head inland. We turned off at a place called Kirk Creek and drove through the mountains via Fort Hunter Liggett military base to the Salinas Valley. It was well worth the drive. We are now camped at San Luis Reservoir.
Tomorrow we head to a place north of SF to camp with California (Chris).
Attached pic of our first night camping.
firstpics016-1.jpg

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
I really hope you guys went to Monterey CA. Then drive to Pacific Grove, Pebble Beach and then into Carmel CA.. If you do go that way PM me for some info on some of the best restuarants in the world.:thumb:
Me too SnoOps.
I loved that area of California in particular.
That's where I met Doris Day, in person at the Monterey Bay Aquarium, back in the mid 80s.
It's God's country for sure.
So beautiful!
Carmel is such a nice place, lots of nice restaurants and I went to a museum where Tony Bennett had some of his paintings on display.
Ate great food there as well.
Good times, great memories.
:thumb::smile:

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Your still in California? :eek: You better get a move on, you have a long way to travel in the next few weeks. :D
Thanks for the update Vin. Keep em coming. :thumb:

daedong

Your still in California? :eek: You better get a move on, you have a long way to travel in the next few weeks. :D
Thanks for the update Vin. Keep em coming. :thumb:

We have another week in California yet, but we will be in Ohio by October, barring accidents or car breakdowns.

Spiffy1

Huh?
SUPER Site Supporter
Oh sure, 50 states but California gets two weeks - of course, it is probably best to see it before it falls off into the Pacific. :yum:

Have fun! :thumb:

daedong

Our first meeting with another FF member, California (Chris) and his wife Liz. We left there this morning after spending two nights in their cabin. What a lovely couple (especially Liz :mrgreen:), they certainly live in a beautiful part of the world. Chris took us on a wonderful "Cook's tour" and showed us plenty of redwoods, mountains and coasts. We visited Fort Ross, the old Russian fort. I had no idea about the Russian history on the Californian coast. Thank you for an interesting and informative day.

Californiafirsttweek015-1.jpg

California

Charter Member
Site Supporter
Vin and Mary, it was good to meet you in person! We enjoyed having you here.

I took a few pictures. I've posted them separately so I don't clutter up your thread.

I hope everyone enjoys the pictures:

Vin's Visit
. Northern California coast, September 2008.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Good pics Chris. Looks like you all had a good time out there. Way to kick off Vin's visit.
Who's the next FF member Vin will pay a visit to?

Deadly Sushi

The One, The Only, Sushi
SUPER Site Supporter
Those are great photos! Thanks for posting them! Nice to finally see what you folks look like too! :mrgreen:

rback33

Hangin in Tornado Alley
SUPER Site Supporter
Here it is midnight in Houston and I am just now posting.. I will have to find Chris's pics (tomorrow!!!)... I am glad things are going well so far! When we get pics from the meet in Oklahoma.. should we make a new thread or add to to Chris's pics that I have not looked for yet?:shock::bonk:

California

Charter Member
Site Supporter
.. I will have to find Chris's pics (tomorrow!!!)... I am glad things are going well so far! When we get pics from the meet in Oklahoma.. should we make a new thread or add to Chris's pics that I have not looked for yet?
Post #10 above has a link to the album. Same link again: Vin's Visit.

Vin should be the one to decide, but I like to upload an album elsewhere then put a link in the relevant thread. That way I can fine-tune the album later.

I used free Porta album generator (beta version) to make that album. I like it and recommend it. Drag a folder of photos onto its icon, which starts the program, add captions, and press Start to generate the album. Porta takes care of resizing, making linked thumbnails, etc. Upload it somewhere (ftp) then post a public link to tell the world its there. Closest thing to magic that I've found.

The other alternative is a photo-sharing site like Flickr. That works well too. Photos stored there can be embedded to display in a post, or you can just post a link like I did.

Hey Vin! What have you seen at your next stop? We're all interested in your adventure!

Galvatron

Spock and Galvatron < one and the same
well Vin it's great to see you have such a great start to your adventure....you and your wife seem so happy and suited to each other.

Thanks Cali for upping the pics it makes the thread so more in sighted....i look forward to more interesting pics and logs from the Oz travel master.

Thanks Vin and God bless you and your wife....have a safe and happy journey.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
Hey nice pics Cali!!
Looks like you all had a very enjoyable time.
Btw, you look nothing like I imagined lol

RNE228

Bronze Member
Site Supporter
Good pics Chris. Looks like you all had a good time out there. Way to kick off Vin's visit.
Who's the next FF member Vin will pay a visit to?

Vin and Mary came through the Sacramento area. We had a very nice visit with them.

We went to Old Sacrameto, checked out the California Railroad Museum. From there we made our way up to the Gold Country. Spent some time in Coloma, where the Ca gold rush started, checked out a local winery, hung out by the American River for a bit, and then bbq'd at my house. This morning we went in to Placerville for breakfast, and explored the oldest hardware store west of the Mississippi, some antiques and art galeries.

It was really a great time. Vin and Mary are wonderful folks :mrgreen: Now the family and I really really want to visit them in Oz :mrgreen:

They left on thier way to Lake Tahoe late this morning.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Vin and Mary came through the Sacramento area. We had a very nice visit with them.

We went to Old Sacrameto, checked out the California Railroad Museum. From there we made our way up to the Gold Country. Spent some time in Coloma, where the Ca gold rush started, checked out a local winery, hung out by the American River for a bit, and then bbq'd at my house. This morning we went in to Placerville for breakfast, and explored the oldest hardware store west of the Mississippi, some antiques and art galeries.

It was really a great time. Vin and Mary are wonderful folks :mrgreen: Now the family and I really really want to visit them in Oz :mrgreen:

They left on thier way to Lake Tahoe late this morning.

Sounds like a good visit for sure. You guys had plenty of sites to show off. Good job. Thanks for keeping us posted. :thumb:

daedong

Arrived at Lake Tahoe, spectacular scenery. Had a swim in the lake. Low battery on PC, will post more later, computer about to shut down. Pic of Robert and Shilo attached. Had a great visit with them.
SanFraniscotoLakeTahoe038-1.jpg

Jim_In_Sunset

Vin, I registered here so I could keep up with you on your trip. Nice to look around and see lots of familiar names. It seems that Robert and Chris have been showing you a good time.:)