• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Country cost comparisons??

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Just got back from staying 2 1/2 months in Panama . I have been asked to compare living cost between Panama and the States . Heres my opinion .

Cost were pretty much the same on this trip on Food purchased at the grocey store, Gas, Propane in Panama were close to US prices .
Liquior is cheap in Panama . Taxis are cheaper too .Internet monthly charge was $80 and a piss poor connection .
We averaged about $1500-$2000 a month in living cost while being there and a lot of that was Boat Gas at $4 a gallon .Ok:whistling:... maybe a few bottles of Rum too .Dining out is a hell of a lot cheaper in Panama then anywhere in the states ,

Hows that compare to other countries ????

Overall we keep a pretty simple lifestyle compared to some folks .I could cut that figure an easy $500 more a month if I wanted too . Seems like we were always buying more plants, buying lunch for the boys , or items for the house . Hell , that living cost figure even included all the repainting cost labor on the whole house .
Now this is in a country where the total yearly salary is under $5000 average per person . So to me the prices of some items seen way out of line for the people of Panama . A dozen eggs are $1.65 there and I just paid a $1 here in California . Sometimes I wonder how the hell the local Panamians do it .:unsure:

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Seems like the chickens should be a profitable venture down there. Costs do vary between areas. A lot of the difference is in transport costs for goods. And taxes of course.

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
I go to Poland almost every year. Cars are crazy expensive; Benzes made not a few hundred miles away are almost double what they cost here, thousands of miles away.

Condos in tourist areas seem to be almost double what something similar would be here.

Restaurants are extremely cheap compared to here. We dined at Wyrchka (spelled way wrong) in Krakow, one of the "1,000 things you must do before you die", and only spent the equivilent of 100usd. Including a very good Cab, and a most excellent dinner.

You can eat a complete dinner or lunch in a decent family restaurant for about 6usd, including everything. They do not expect tips, though I always leave 20% if the service deserves it. It is amazing how they remember you!

Last year, I spent about 3000USD while over there. Exchange was about 2.7, so I spent about 8,100 PLN. Right now, conversion is about 3.5, so, if I spend similarly this year, I'll only spend about 2300USD. And if EUR goes to parity, I's expect PLN to be around 4.5, thus I'd only spend about 1800 USD!

Everything else would also become cheaper, though I do not plan on buying a car or condo there.

Like Al, I do intend to invest in a place outside the USA, except in Ecuador, and in a condo on the beach. 2800 sqft beach condo, new and ultramodern, = about 110,000usd. Full time maid, cook, go-fer = 180usd/month. Local foods = a few dollars a day. 360 days sunshine and 12 hours a day of daylight, every day, every year = free.