• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Engine oil capacity/1404

DWester

While changing the oil, I read that it holds 3 quarts. After adding the oil, I noticed that nothing was showing on the dip stick. While draining the oil, I noticed that there was what looked like a smaller pan attached to the bottom of the main one. Is this a modification that was performed at one time and now it takes more oil?:confused:

DWester

You're right. I forgot the oil filter. But, have you seen what I described on the bottom of your pan? I'm curious. If need be, I'll go out, remove the bottom and get a picture of it.

Last edited:

PJL

Might have been modified to hold more oil which would allow the cat to run on steeper terrain. Post a pic.

IMP

Site Supporter
The 1404 I used to own had that deep sump oil pan on it and I figured it's function had something to do with running at steep angles. I think I put about 5 or 6 quarts in ? I let the dip stick determine the amount of oil.

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
the manual posted in the brake thread just below states 4 quarts 5 with filter.

Just picked up an new to me imp, It has a pile of manuals I will dig into those to see if there is a mention of the deep sump.

My advice is look close for a filed notch in your dip stick to see if perhaps it has a different fill mark.?
Just guessing

Matt West

I am encountering the same delima. My manual is from 1974. I have added five quarts and I am barely on the dip stick. Was it common for them to get upgraded oil pans? Mine originally did service at a ski resort in Western Washington.

BoyToys

Just what I was hoping to find on this forum.
I changed my oil for the first time (4 quarts drained out, was showing somewhat less than the half point on the dip stick), so I started with 3.5 quarts replacement since that's what's supposed to be in these engines. Plus put in a new big oil filter Napa 1068.
No oil on dipstick, added more oil to 4 quarts, just barely touching the tip of the stick.
Said to myself...wtf? Added a 5th quart and now just maybe 3/4 of the way up to the max fill line on the stick.
I must have the upgraded oil pan. Noticed the drain plug, where it screws in, had a really beefy welded on metal through which the the threads were tapped. Didn't look factory to me but I figured maybe it had been repaired at some point. Now I'm thinking differently.