• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Dryer vent to warm greenhouse?

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
With all the crappy weather we've had this spring, the plants have stayed inside longer then wanted. Mrs. Zoom didn't care for the hundreds of plants sitting in the kitchen...

So I'm going to build a small greenhouse. For ease, access and to keep it out of my way, I was going to build it with 3 sides, and the back of it will be an existing wall of either the house or one of the buildings.

The best location is the back of the house, but the wall area I'd like to put it has the dryer vent. I'm thinking it may not be a bad thing to have it blow into the greenhouse as it would produce heat and moisture.

Thoughts?

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Ideal setup as long as you keep some pantyhose over the outlet to trap lint. We know you like to wear them so start saving them now!:w00t2::yum:

loboloco

My only concern would be the lint. follow Muley's advice and give it a try. Let us know how it works out.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks. I do have plenty of pantyhose. I was saving them for winter but I guess I could spare one.
Found some windows and doors on Craigslist so hoping to get on this pretty soon.

Cowboy

Wait for it.
GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks. I do have plenty of pantyhose. I was saving them for winter but I guess I could spare one.
Found some windows and doors on Craigslist so hoping to get on this pretty soon.
I dont have a green house yet , but I have been growing some hybrid willows in my basement from cuttings the last few months and although I dont need the heat the added humidity from the dryer has helped quite a bit. :wink: They make a vent kit that uses a water trap at the end of the vent hose that catches the lint , just change the water out every once in awhile and your good to go .

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Don't forget about having a vent of some sort to let heat out on bright sunny days. Nothing worse than wilting your plants cause they overheated. A greenhouse heats up fast in bright sunshine.

Cowboy

Wait for it.
GOLD Site Supporter
I hope you will post progress pics of your project Bc , with the eception of any pantyhose pics of coarse :biggrin:. I like the fact that your going to do it as an add on instead of a free standing greenhouse . Looking forward to seeing your project . :wink:

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Don't forget about having a vent of some sort to let heat out on bright sunny days. Nothing worse than wilting your plants cause they overheated. A greenhouse heats up fast in bright sunshine.

I was going to build it with storm windows and a storm door so all can be opened.
Here's what I found on Craigslist.
$10 each for the windows.
$15 for the door.

"7 storm windows with screens and windows in excellent shape. Range in size from 39 by 49 and 35 by 49. Standard storm door with sliding windows and screen in excellent shape. All white."

3k43p63l15P35X05S5b5f0aa6d2353f9d15bf.jpg

3nd3k03o95O25T55W3b5f21d2585b7da613ed.jpg

3k63p63lc5O45Z35R4b5fce985515fecb171d.jpg

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Look like they would work fine. I got mine from the habitat for humanity store. Plumb in a water spigot or you will get tired of carrying water in a hurry.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Another reason for this particular location. The dryer vent, a hose spigot and an outdoor electrical outlet are within the 10' span along the house where I'd like to build.