• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Simple pleasures in life

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Funny how simple things excite you after you've had a near death experience. Mobility has become a main focus for me lately and finding ways to allow myself to still get out and enjoy life despite my injuries.

I had my grandmother's old mobility walker to use which was doing the trick for shorter distances but it was designed for a shorter person. I talked to physio and my insurance and got the approval to buy a new walker. They had them on sale this week at Canadian Tire so I picked one up. Regular price was $300. I got it on sale for $170. I opted for that one since the ones at the health supply store are all $420 plus tax.

So I used the walker friday night and found out rather quickly why the ones at the health store are so expensive. You get what you pay for. Sometimes a good deal isn't such a great deal after all.

I decided to take a peak at the local classified page on Facebook and someone had the exact walker that I originally wanted to get from the health store for sale for only $100. I picked that up right away. Seems to be a much better walker which will allow me to get out more this winter. I am determined to not just sit on my butt this winter. So, now the garage is starting to look like a mobility store. I now have three walkers and the electric scooter taking up room in there.

Insurance has also gotten me a gym membership for 8 months. There is also an olympic size pool there that I can use.:smile:

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
Funny how simple things excite you after you've had a near death experience. Mobility has become a main focus for me lately and finding ways to allow myself to still get out and enjoy life despite my injuries.

I had my grandmother's old mobility walker to use which was doing the trick for shorter distances but it was designed for a shorter person. I talked to physio and my insurance and got the approval to buy a new walker. They had them on sale this week at Canadian Tire so I picked one up. Regular price was $300. I got it on sale for $170. I opted for that one since the ones at the health supply store are all $420 plus tax.

So I used the walker friday night and found out rather quickly why the ones at the health store are so expensive. You get what you pay for. Sometimes a good deal isn't such a great deal after all.

I decided to take a peak at the local classified page on Facebook and someone had the exact walker that I originally wanted to get from the health store for sale for only $100. I picked that up right away. Seems to be a much better walker which will allow me to get out more this winter. I am determined to not just sit on my butt this winter. So, now the garage is starting to look like a mobility store. I now have three walkers and the electric scooter taking up room in there.

Insurance has also gotten me a gym membership for 8 months. There is also an olympic size pool there that I can use.:smile:

Being an old country boy I enjoy the simpler things in life. I hear what you are saying on getting what you pay for. I rarely buy the cheapest or the most expensive version of anything, preferring to find the one priced mid range.

Enjoy the pool. That will be some nice this winter, will it not? :biggrin:

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Here's where I'll be spending a lot of time this winter doing rehab. They also have a nicely equipped gym upstairs to use.

complex_16.jpg

Galvatron

Spock and Galvatron < one and the same
The pool will be fun Brian, will you take the children along at times to turn it from rehab to fun day??

Kane

Always look to eBay for the best prices on most anything, including healthcare devices and equipment. Chances are you'll find gently used topoftheline gear for half price or better.

All my crutches, walkers and scooters come from eBay. Cheap.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
I always used to look to eBay for everything. Now I hardly go on there because of the dollar difference. All the prices show in U.S. funds. So immediately I have to tack on close to 30% on the displayed price then factor in the shipping and import charges. Otherwise if I get it shipped to the border there's the duties I have to pay before bringing it across. Used to be worthwhile to make the drive to the border but with the price of the dollar right now it doesn't add up.