• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Midwest Cat CLOWDER 2016

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Hi all,

Seems to be about the right time to announce the Midwest Cat Clowder 2016!

Same format as previous years.

For new comers and short memory members, the format of the event is fun based:

Trail rides to lake superior Thursday and Friday. (guided and/or go it alone if you prefer)
Vintage over the snow show Sat AM. (reduced chair lift and rentals for participant families )
Snow cat operation on the Big Powder horn Sat PM.
Trail ride to Live music ( picture attached)
Demo rides by reservation
Award/Dinner program Saturday night.

When:

First weekend in February ( 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th)
Where:
Big Powder Horn, Bessemer MI
Lodging:
The Big Powder horn web-site ON the Mountain lodging, Ski in Ski out ect.
For Local hotels Ironwood MI is the nearest large city. there are also many non-franchise motel hotel offerings in the region...
The Little but important Stuff.
  • It Snows a lot in the western UP.
  • Moisture content of Lake effect snow is interesting and as varied as the wind that blows it inland.
  • the area is fairly heavy forest and the trail rides take place on un-maintained forest roads.
  • there are ample plug ins all about the area, area hotels and lodging are prepared.
  • Sauna is pronounced Sow-na, like cow. if you ask for a saw-na, You might as well order a pasty with gravy and remove all doubt that you are travelling.
  • The event is both family and party friendly
  • There is heated shop space at the ready to handle that little issue that may need attention.
  • Excellent ski facility
  • Prinoth had demo equipment and was award sponsor last year
  • Track Inc is invited, Demo equipment pending
  • Hell there was even an Tucker cake last year
  • This event follows a WI State snowmobile Groomer show just 40 Minutes away on WED/THUR. Come early and attend both, search Arrowhead groomer show. Test drive the new stuff, and then come and appreciate the fun stuff from Days gone By.
  • Photos from last years event here on FF's as well as here at The Snow Grooming Magazine face book page:
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.799029586801525.1073741848.576025402435279&type=3

Printable event flyer coming soon, Stay tuned.

Post here or PM me for clarification or any questions not addressed clear enough.

Attachments

• DSC02340 (Small).JPG
    DSC02340 (Small).JPG
    43.2 KB · Views: 610
  • DSC02314 (Small).JPG
    DSC02314 (Small).JPG
    18.8 KB · Views: 602
Last edited:

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I would certainly think, a proper home coming once and a while would be in order.

the event last was a somewhat special homecoming for a particular tucker, 50 years ago, the hill owned a 3 series 3 door, four track, sno-cat. that machine is Cute as a bug especially when loaded with a family of four.

Hope to see you in the powder.

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
If you came I wouldn't get the award for "farthest from home" either.. Lol not that I care at all!! :smile:

Another machine would just make a better event. Cheap fuel should be taken advantage of I think btw.... Hopefully time is available, and that can be an issue for me. I always find a way though lol.. :biggrin:

Regards, Kirk

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
:whistling:Hey red, Just 1200 miles, the tow fund can off set some of that expense....

Well kirk, I just did a 1200 mile radius around the clowder, If you go around lake Michigan or lake superior to get to the event..... you will still stand a good chance to be showered with all the wealth and fame that comes with the longest tow award.:w00t2:

Red take care of that 130, that would make a great machine for my ski trails.

Pontoon Princess

Cattitute
GOLD Site Supporter
well, this sounds even better than last years great event, plans are being made to attend this year, see ya in Michigan, tuckerville minion

Red130

:whistling:Hey red, Just 1200 miles, the tow fund can off set some of that expense....

Well kirk, I just did a 1200 mile radius around the clowder, If you go around lake Michigan or lake superior to get to the event..... you will still stand a good chance to be showered with all the wealth and fame that comes with the longest tow award.:w00t2:

Red take care of that 130, that would make a great machine for my ski trails.

We're hoping it proves out well on our ski trails. We are currently waiting on US Forest Service approval to do some widening on our main trail. Plenty of PB maintenance to do this fall, but we're working on a garage that I hope to finish first. It would be great to detrack on concrete, as opposed to everything else we have (sloped).

undy

reduced chair lift and rentals for participant families )
Excellent ski facility

'Nuff said Mike.
I'll be there. I don't need to remind you which came first: the skis or the snowcat... Snowcats are just the frosting on the cake.

I don't foresee bringing my cat with me again this year, I really don't have the equipment to do it. But perhaps I can catch a ride with somebody, and if there are any opportunities to ski something steep & deep in the back country:wow:, better yet!!

Bruce, I hope to ski with you a bit (or a lot, depending on your schedule). Louie's Chute is my new favorite, and Katie's Catwalk is right up there too. Thanks for opening them up!! Anybody else is more than welcome to join in too.
If I'm not mistaken, you've even got a photo of the old Tuckers in the rotation on the website! Way cool. Thanks for hosting again!!

Powderhorn Mtn. Rocks.

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
We are currently waiting on US Forest Service approval to do some widening on our main trail. .

My experience with the forest service:I found that the discussion that ensued after I flattened some protected Tussock sedge to be quite entertaining..... after awhile the land manager could not keep a straight face, All I did was point out the PSI rating of a a Whitetail deer, human on sandals, and the snowcat....

What I'm trying to say is forgiveness is sometimes easier to come by than permission.....:sad:

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
well, this sounds even better than last years great event, plans are being made to attend this year, see ya in Michigan, tuckerville minion

Great news , Now I will make a full hearted effort to get that (new to me) 1542 the rest of the way to full operational condition. (as opposed to half-hearted)

Kirk, good chance the longest tow is going to require a border crossing for you to remain in the running, Find your passport....:whistling:

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
If Glacierparkbus is going to be there I won't mind not having the longest tow. It only means our event is growing, and getting better. :biggrin: Besides it's really not that far for me. You local guys just don't understand do you Mike.. :whistling::flowers:

Regards, Kirk

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I'm laughing my ass off, just thinking about How we met.

Hell I've driven to kirks for dinner......
Oh double hell , Ive driven down to meet another ff member....

Triple hell, Ive towed a cat to your place.....

oh the fuel we burn in pursuit of fun......

Red130

My experience with the forest service:I found that the discussion that ensued after I flattened some protected Tussock sedge to be quite entertaining..... after awhile the land manager could not keep a straight face, All I did was point out the PSI rating of a a Whitetail deer, human on sandals, and the snowcat....

What I'm trying to say is forgiveness is sometimes easier to come by than permission.....:sad:

I know what you're saying. USFS here has been OK with vegetation control including tree removal, and rock removal with a backhoe, but now we're looking at dozer work to widen an old logging road back to its original width. (Has slumped from the uphill side over the years.) Moving dirt seems to be the threshold. No way are we gonna "sneak" a dozer in there.

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Mostly a public service announcement:

In addition to the 2016 Clowder, the region also offers a Groomer show running previous to the clowder:

If operating New Over the Snow Equipment is your thing, consider the 19th annual Groomer Show in St. Germain WI. The event is about 45 minutes away from the Clowder. It is a two day hands on event.

Last year there were 320 attendees from five states and two countries.
17 vendor displays and booths
Food and beverages both days
Vintage snow equipment on display

The dates of the Groomer Show are Wednesday and Thursday February 3rd and 4th.

Personally I was able to operate and get some valuable training on New and new prototype Tuckers, Pisten Bully and various agriculture based grooming equipment. The pulling equipment is hitched to the latest and greatest snow tilling and grooming equipment.

Link to the event:
http://www.arrowheadgroomers.com/show.htm

Of course a photo is in order:
Check out the Boggie wheels.

Attachments

• DSC02144 (Small).JPG
    DSC02144 (Small).JPG
    68.5 KB · Views: 475

Bait Guy

Kirk, heck why don't you help me out this year, and buy a bigger trailer and truck and plan to bring me and Bruce (the fabricator) and I will buy you a cold one in Hurley :clap::clap::wow:

Last edited:

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
sounds like fun I may have to try to attend I wont be towing any thing but I would be an attendee fro the farthest place in the us.

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Kirk, heck why don't you help me out this year, and buy a bigger trailer and truck and plan to bring me and Bruce (the fabricator) and I will buy you a cold one in Hurley :clap::clap::wow:

I already have a 2001 Mack CH and a 42ft low boy, so I wouldn't have to buy a truck. :whistling:

But it wouldn't have enough seats in it for all of us.. :ermm:

For the extra fuel, you could buy my drinks for all weekend! :clap:

Yea I remember Bruce. Been meaning to give him a call...:smile:

Regards, Kirk

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
sounds like fun I may have to try to attend I wont be towing any thing but I would be an attendee fro the farthest place in the us.

Don: in my best barney simpson voice......."Challenge:" "you get here and I will tow your choice of cat in my yard to the event for your touring pleasure."

Your response___________________________________

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I already have a 2001 Mack CH and a 42ft low boy,

Yea I remember Bruce. Been meaning to give him a call...:smile:

Regards, Kirk

If I remember Bruce correctly the *buy a cat* bug bit him.....

That 42' trailer would be handy to haul a cat back home..... Just sayin there is a couple of orange machines on my cull list.....

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
If I remember Bruce correctly the *buy a cat* bug bit him.....

That 42' trailer would be handy to haul a cat back home..... Just sayin there is a couple of orange machines on my cull list.....

That or we head east with baitguy's Tucker and the Snow Trac and snag Undy's Ski Dozer before heading North... :whistling:

How 'bout that Undy??

Regards, Kirk

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I just read that Copper peak ski flying hill will host a series of events starting in 2017. A new plastic surface is to be applied to the deck of the ski jump ramp.

What a hoot it would be to see ski flying during the clowder! :clap:

Maybe in the future it might happen, one can hope!

Regards, Kirk

undy

That or we head east with baitguy's Tucker and the Snow Trac and snag Undy's Ski Dozer before heading North... :whistling:

How 'bout that Undy??

Regards, Kirk

Kirk,

Sorry I missed this! I'm likin' that idea. :clap:

My cat would make everybody else's cat look luxurious. Somebody's got to bring a beater-cat. Might as well be me!

I also just got a new pair of fatty skis. I'm hoping Powderhorn Mtn. lives up to it's name this year.

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
so, there is a ugly beater cat competition, eh?

Why yes we do!
Sadly it is a fixed sort of competition for the special kids.
Kristy KT-4 has won it every year we have set the class....

:w00t2:

WE are hoping for a slow speed contest. and the show and shine isn't always so shiny.....