• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

POLL: What brand snowcat do you own?

What brand snowcat do you own/operate?

• AKTIV Snow Trac, Trac Master, or Snow Master

Votes: 103 14.2%
  • KRISTI KT2, KT3, KT4 or KT7

Votes: 10 1.4%
  • THIOKOL/DMC/LMC (any of the numerous models)

Votes: 187 25.8%
  • BOMBARDIER (J5, Bombi, B12, C18, etc)

Votes: 152 21.0%
  • TUCKER (classic steel track)

Votes: 72 9.9%
  • TUCKER (rubber track or terra track)

Votes: 61 8.4%
  • VMC

Votes: 5 0.7%
  • Other (please list the brand/model in the thread below)

Votes: 62 8.6%
  • NONE, but I enjoy the Snowcat forums anyway

Votes: 40 5.5%
  • NONE, I visit the ForumsForums but don't frequent the snowcat area.

Votes: 42 5.8%
  • NONE YET, but I am looking for a snowcat.

Votes: 76 10.5%

• Total voters

snowtracker

We own a Thiokol Spryte model B.

Attachments

• Thiokol Spryte.jpg
    Thiokol Spryte.jpg
    134 KB · Views: 978

wilkinsn1

Well, as usual, I'm late again. You know guys, I have other things that require my attention.......can't always be monitoring the FF.......

Anyway, I have a 1959 Kristi KT3 (S/N 048) owned by the company (although they're not proud of it and don't want anything to do with it), so I guess I can say it's almost my baby. :thumb:

OK Big Al, I'm caught up!!!

Attachments

• IMG_0073 564X423.jpg
    IMG_0073 564X423.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 921

mtntopper

Back On Track
SUPER Site Supporter
It's as close as it is going to get. Out of all the little track machines it is better than most....:thumb:

GS Dave

mtntopper said:
It's as close as it is going to get. Out of all the little track machines it is better than most....:thumb:

Well we did spend 3 hours in them (we have 2) last night punching through 3 foot drifts, what a blast...:burp:

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Cushman Tracksters are very cool little machines. I was actually hunting for one of those several years ago but couldn't find one for sale at a reasonable price. I think of the small machines they are probably as good as is available and a true go anywhere vehicle, ideal for playing on rural property.

GS Dave

B_Skurka said:
Cushman Tracksters are very cool little machines. I was actually hunting for one of those several years ago but couldn't find one for sale at a reasonable price. I think of the small machines they are probably as good as is available and a true go anywhere vehicle, ideal for playing on rural property.

well........what would you think a resaonable price would be? I might be letting one go......full cab and has a new Honda engine in it. but it is a long way away from you (in New Mexico)

Dave

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Dave, I am no longer looking. When I was shopping I didn't have the Snow Trac. But as for NM, I used to get there on a regular basis because my in-laws (no deceased) lived in Albuquerque. Spent a bit of time there, also would go Las Cruces, Riodoso (sp), Sante Fe, Ponderosa, and a few other spots.

GS Dave

B_Skurka said:
Dave, I am no longer looking. When I was shopping I didn't have the Snow Trac. But as for NM, I used to get there on a regular basis because my in-laws (no deceased) lived in Albuquerque. Spent a bit of time there, also would go Las Cruces, Riodoso (sp), Sante Fe, Ponderosa, and a few other spots.

oh well...:beer: here is to fun in the snow

Dave

Donald McMullin

I have changed from "looking" to "owning" a Tucker Sno-Cat. I should take delivery from Bill Guthrie in the next few weeks of a 1974 540 Torpedo. This year came stock from the factory with a small block chevy engine.

Its new home will be in Middleton, Colorado which is about 12 miles up the Animas River from Silverton [@10,000ft elevation].

I will be able to enjoy the sunny winter days in my new convertible, see attached picture.

Attachments

• Tucker 543 007.jpg
    Tucker 543 007.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 797

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
WOW that is the coolest looking Sno-Cat that I have ever seen. It looks a lot like a snowcat version of an Auburn Speedster Convertible! Congrats on your new toy. Being a 500 series you have the ultra wide tracks on yours so it should float above the snow! What is the overall mechanical conditon?

Another nice thing about the steel track Sno-Cats is that if you run them over your grass you don't have to mow the lawn :yum:

Vance

Donald McMullin said:
I have changed from "looking" to "owning" a Tucker Sno-Cat. I should take delivery from Bill Guthrie in the next few weeks of a 1974 540 Torpedo. This year came stock from the factory with a small block chevy engine.

Its new home will be in Middleton, Colorado which is about 12 miles up the Animas River from Silverton [@10,000ft elevation].

I will be able to enjoy the sunny winter days in my new convertible, see attached picture.

Welcome, Donald!!!! and congrats on the cat purchase. If you're like any of the rest of us you'll be hooked.

I've eyed your particular cat on Bill's site for some time. It was a shame to see it sitting in the yard. Sounds like it will go to a good home.

One thing that peaked my curiosity is that you said your has the SBC motor. I have a 1971 1342 that also has the SBC. Mine is a 283 (so I'm told) and runs like a top. There don't seem to be many SBCs in the Tuckers but the factory did tell me that they built most every unit in that era as a custom build to spec unit with whatever the customer wanted.

Please post more pics and details when you get a chance!!!

Vance

Attachments

• IMG_1418.JPG
    IMG_1418.JPG
    184.2 KB · Views: 785

Vance

Snowcat Operations said:
Are you getting ready to paint?

Well.... eventually... I just put a quick rattle can jobber on there so it was only one color...

It will stay like this for the remainder of the season and then get completely tore down this summer. At that time it will get a respectable paint job.

Vance

Donald McMullin

My first sno-cat arrived at its new home in the San Juan mountains of Colorado. Just unloaded from the truck and looking for some fresh snow to play in.

Attachments

• DONS TUCKER-Rev2.jpg
    DONS TUCKER-Rev2.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 759

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Bulldog1401 said:
1976 Thiokol Imp. Running, but undergoing restoration.
Hey Bulldog, how about some pictures? Seems to me you visited here a couple months ago, has there been much progress on the Imp restoration or have you been spending more time driving it?

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Greetings all! This is my first post and though I don't actually own a vintage snowcat, I plan to sometime in the future so I look forward to researching all that is out there. I have been a groomer operator for our local snowmobile club since 1990 and currently operate a 2002 Lamtrac and a 1996 BR160. I appreciate what these machines can do and would like to get my own to do whatever I want with it other than just crawling down the trails smoothing out moguls. I plan on looking at a couple of old Bombardier B12's sometime in the near future. I look forward to all of the information I know you guys can provide.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
groomerguyNWO said:
Greetings all! This is my first post and though I don't actually own a vintage snowcat, I plan to sometime in the future so I look forward to researching all that is out there.
Snowcat Operations said:
Welcome to the gang Groomer Guy! You need to get a Snow Trac. Stay away from all other wanna be snowcats!

Hi Brian. You will find a lot of strong opinions around here. Most of them are wrong, but mine is always correct :whip:

There are lots of things to consider, and since you are experienced with snow grooming & equipment I'll just highlight some of the things that seem to matter to personal snowcat users.
  • Price
  • Parts
  • Size/weight/trailerability
A basic small snowcat can be found for under $10,000 in decent condition, occasionally under $3000 for a unit that will run but requires work. Shopping around is your best bet to find a deal. Even a very good condition older snowcat will rarely go for more than $15,000 after it is restored. Some desirable brands would include the Aktiv Snow Trac and Kristi Snowcats. Both are VW powered and the engines are very easy to work on. Aktiv made over 2000 Snow Tracs, many made it up to Canada and you may find them in your area. Kristi only made a little over 100 KT3 snowcats, they are hard to find but nifty units. Thiokol IMPs are very common and were made in large numbers, there were a couple version. Thiokol Sprytes are also common, seem to be a bit more expensive than the Imp. Thiokol 601s are also reasonably common. Probably the most common would be the Bombardier B12/C18. Over 3000 of those were produced, many stayed in Canada.

As for parts . . . the best thing to do is find a snowcat that interests you and then ask about parts availability. Most have some proprietary parts that are difficult to find, and some common parts that are easy to get.

Grooming type snowcats typically weigh a lot more than some of the smaller cats, they are also wider. Weight and width make trailering them something that requires special trailers and larger tow vehicles. That may or may not be an issue for you.

Bulldog1401

Anybody seen my marbles?
SUPER Site Supporter
My Imp 1.jpgUnfortunatly I work more than I play and the Imp is not progressing as fas as I would like. Wanted one all my life. Finally got one. No time for it. Go figure. I will get it where I want it eventually. Visiting this forum helps remind me that I should be working on it more.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Bob- Too bad there aren't any more KT7's out there. I think that would suit me just right. I don't know wether I'm coming or going half of the time either.(just like the KT7)

Sorry Big Al, I've been studying/reading your thread on your restoration for the past few days and couldn't resist!

Bulldog1401

Anybody seen my marbles?
SUPER Site Supporter
I plan on adding dual batteries, replacing the winch that was missing when I got it, adding a slide on passenger cab for a total seating capacity of 6, adding dual exhaust, and doubling up the cross axles that the leaf springs mount on for a 2 inch lift. when lifted, I believe that I could run cleats from a 1200 or a like cat which will give me more dig and also make the tracks asymetrical but wider for more floatation. 1200 cleats seem easier to find than 1400 series cleats.