• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

GM truck suspension

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I have a GMC 1/2 ton that has way too much play in the suspension in the rear end. When you hit a bump or something it's almost as if it bounces several times.

It's a new truck and every other I've been in does the same.

Adding about 5-700 pounds of cargo in the box makes it more civil but in general, it's an inappropriate solution.

What's the best way to tighten it up a bit? It's great on the open road and I like that so I don't want it too stiff.

Ideas?

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
bczoom said:
I have a GMC 1/2 ton that has way too much play in the suspension in the rear end. When you hit a bump or something it's almost as if it bounces several times.

It's a new truck and every other I've been in does the same.

Adding about 5-700 pounds of cargo in the box makes it more civil but in general, it's an inappropriate solution.

What's the best way to tighten it up a bit? It's great on the open road and I like that so I don't want it too stiff.

Ideas?

Buy new shocks or take it to the dealer!

Av8r3400

Gone Flyin'
How many miles do you have on it? Some of the OEM shocks (like tires) are not very good and fail rather quickly. Base suspension packages often suffer from this, although the up-level (Z71?) is not immune either. :mad:

I'd advise you to look into a good quality aftermarket shock. Possibly an adjustable damper (like Rancho 9000 ?). This is a shock which is adjustable, even on the fly. There are some on the market now which internally adjust automatically. :thumb:

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
It's an '05 with 5,700 miles. Crew cab, SLT... so it's not the baseline truck.

I honestly don't think it's broke, it's just not to my liking (ditto with the over-emphasis of the base in the stereo).

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
bczoom said:
I honestly don't think it's broke, it's just not to my liking (ditto with the over-emphasis of the base in the stereo).

It'll go away if you'd just quit cruisin the hood............:yum:

Kubota King

The GM truck suspension's are one of the reasons I buy Ford. My suggestion is go to JCWhitney's web site & look for Traction / sway bars. I had a car years ago with the same sloppy ride & the after market Traction bars help immensly.

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
bczoom said:
...that has way too much play in the suspension in the rear end. When you hit a bump or something it's almost as if it bounces several times.

I had a girlfriend like that once. I traded her for a better model. Now, I have a one ton. :thumb: er, TRUCK that is!! Gees, don't let my wife see that comment!!! :eek: Why is it that a woman now thinks a size 6 is too much and wants to work to get into a 4?! Man, but that's a different story. Sounds to me like you would be more happy with a 3/4 ton; truck that is.

BadAttitude

bc
The ride is designed that way. Too many soocer moms drive trucks/suvs and demand it ride like a car. Is it 4X4 or 4X2?

BadAttitude

Good thing cuz 4X2 is even worse. Other than adding the xtra weight, all I can tell U is keep the tire press at the max or +5psi.