• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Tucker in Maryland on EBAY

Backyardski

BackyardskiLima
GOLD Site Supporter
Someone clicked the buy it now for 12k

Attachments

• 3E27C43F-AAD9-43FB-AB8C-E9FD25807868.jpeg
    3E27C43F-AAD9-43FB-AB8C-E9FD25807868.jpeg
    299.9 KB · Views: 768
Last edited:

Ajay1118

Thank you sir ! I’m going to have it restore to original condition !
Or even better !! I’m going to use it to access my lodge in the winter !!

Ajay1118

I do have a question what’s the best trailer I should get for this 1744 Tucker !
It’s 97-1/2 wide 19-1/2 feet long and is 9700 lbs thanxs

Blackfoot Tucker

GOLD Site Supporter
Yes I bought that one !

Congratulations...and Thank You!

I was lusting after that somewhat, but I had some concerns and the transportation costs to get it to Utah drove the cost up substantially. It was one of those "I know I shouldn't, and I can't justify it...but I want it" situations.

Do you know much about the machine? I ask because I did some homework on it and wont bore you with the details if you already know about it.

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I do have a question what’s the best trailer I should get for this 1744 Tucker !
It’s 97-1/2 wide 19-1/2 feet long and is 9700 lbs thanxs

I am very fond of tandem dual fifth wheel hitch. there are many manufactures of this type of trailer.

Bumper tows are great if you have a proper tow rig.

Do you need to move it often or just up to the lodge one way one time.....

Ajay1118

Hi Aaron I ll let u k ow when I pick the girl up !! She ll have an open check book to make her perfect ! I will look into the trailer that u recommend no she will not travel far at all and I will make sure she’s well taken care of !! I appreciate any recomendations on this girl as this is my first One thank you

Ajay1118

Hi red squirrel no not often but I am looking at purchasing more cn rail like 700 miles making it like a destination and site seeing adventure maybe I can turn it into tucker jamboree east of Oregon and make it special event ??? The tucker world seems to be a close nit family looking at preserving and restoring and keeping the tradition alive !!! I plan to keep my Tucker alive !! Can’t wait to get her home thanxs any help or guidance will be appreciated I have a 2500 dodge and a 3500 thanxs

Ajay1118

Hi black foot I’m glad u didnt bid on it lol !! As I would have had bid til the stars fell from the sky as the minute I saw it I had to have it !! This is the one I wanted it’s a Detroit diesel not to familiar with them but I ll make sure it’s perfect I’m just buying a 22 fort trailer for her now to haul her home even my wife likes it :)))))

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Well the Agawa (sp) canyon is a big hit with folks from my part of the world. so I love the plan.

they ship their snow machines up and sled around till they can't any more then ship their equipment home.

HOw far up are you. a snow cat, Snow train would be a fun event.

sno-drifter

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Ajay, you mite wanna talk with Rob (mill666er). He has a Tucker with one of them Dtriot mosquito killer engines. If the smoke don't kill em, the noise will.

Mill666er

SUPER Site Supporter
Here is my 542A HD with the 453T and Allison Automatic. I can tell you it is very front end heavy since there no weight on in the back of a pickup truck configuration. My trailer is 8’ wide and 19’ of deck and 4’ dovetail. I would strongly recommend a gooseneck trailer if you can find one. I have to load it on the trailer backwards to get the tongue weight acceptable for a bumper pull and even then I can’t pull it all of the way to the front of trailer.

ed522ea2d53ce2cbede22d94cb3f8b9f.jpg

2f83f0ede096093ff19379c4a33f20e2.jpg

Ajay1118

Thank u for the information and pictures . I see how u have it loaded to keep weight over the tires . So I should get a 22 foot trailer I think , also I have a 2500 dodge to pull her I don’t have to tow far but I also pull 4.5 ton excavator with pinto hitch it’s also around the same weight ! Thank you for the pics helps me out lots Aj

Pontoon Princess

Cattitute
GOLD Site Supporter
Thank u for the information and pictures . I see how u have it loaded to keep weight over the tires . So I should get a 22 foot trailer I think , also I have a 2500 dodge to pull her I don’t have to tow far but I also pull 4.5 ton excavator with pinto hitch it’s also around the same weight ! Thank you for the pics helps me out lots Aj

IMHO, I would get a 25' deck at least if not a couple feet longer, better to have space you do not use than wishing you had another foot or so...

well bought and great sno-cat to have and own.

Ajay1118

Hi Blackfoot sorry I was away and didn't get right back to you I apologize ! I do not know the history on this 1744 it's scheduled to clear customs and be delivered to me next Wednesday !! Any info plz share will be greatly appreciated thanxs Aj

Ajay1118

I'm not sure of rust situation she's scheduled to clear customs and be delivered next Wednesday ! I lol let u know ok ! I plan on sending it to tucker and have it restored to perfect condition , aj

Blackfoot Tucker

GOLD Site Supporter
Hi Blackfoot sorry I was away and didn't get right back to you I apologize ! I do not know the history on this 1744 it's scheduled to clear customs and be delivered to me next Wednesday !! Any info plz share will be greatly appreciated thanxs Aj

When your 1744 was ordered, the order was placed by a (then) Tucker dealer in Alaska; Fraley Equipment and Supply. In talking with the Tucker factory, they speculated that this 1744 was ordered for Aleyska, the pipeline company. That's a good thing, as they tended to take great care of their equipment. But that was in Alaska, how it ended up in Maryland I don't have a clue...

Here's the order sheet, which provides a great deal of information on the components it left the factory with, which can be very handy when looking for parts.

View attachment S-N 3773326.pdf

Some things to note, that may be of concern. Tucker 1300, 1500, and 1600 series machines were equipped with Dana 60 rear axles. Dana built these in huge numbers, and parts are both readily obtainable from a huge number of sources and reasonably priced. You'll note on the order sheet the differentials specified are "D-300" units. Those are International Harvester supplied axles and parts are very challenging to find (according to Tucker). This also has a chain-drive transfer case which Tucker used for a short time. If you need parts for that, it may be very difficult to get them as well (this info is also from Tucker).

It looks like a very heavily optioned machine and the cab at 64" wide is a very, very nice feature. The standard Tucker cab width back then was either 48" or 52". While 52" is decidedly better in my opinion, 64" would be really nice.

I'm trying to think of a nice way to put this... Tucker is expensive. I don't know what their hourly rate is currently, but maybe eight years ago (plus or minus) it was $140, and back then most repair shops were under $100/hour. I'm certain it is higher today.

I recently bought some wheel seals, and got pricing on some other parts. I then compared current prices with prices on those same parts from about eight years ago. According to an online inflation calculator, prices have generally risen about 18% in that time span. Tucker parts pricing has gone up an astounding 62%. My snowcat buddy and I just bought track belting for a machine we were working on. Tucker's price per belt (and there are 16 total on a four track Tucker) was over $125 higher per belt than any other supplier. I very much doubt Tucker would restore a machine without using their parts.

In short, my feeling is having them restore the machine will be hugely expensive. I'm sure it will look very nice, but one should have a very deep (and open) checkbook if seriously contemplating that option.

Good Luck, and please keep us posted on your progress.

Ajay1118

Thank you so much for that information!!! It's good to know where it came from !! It's going to a great home my friend !! As I will be using it to access my hunting and fishing lodge !! I m very busy all year in my line of work so I would ship it to tucker in late spring early summer to have them go through it and restore her to her former glory !! I would only want tucker parts and any up grades would be done at there recommendations ! Only thing is I would want it back by November so I d have to make sure they would have it completed in that time frame !!! This one has v8 Detroit diesel !! Don't know much about this engine , I might have it pulled and rebuilt and put it on a stand in my shop and have them install cummins . I will send some pics or post them when I get it home and when I take it to my lodge ! I feel like a kid at Christmas lol !!!

Blackfoot Tucker

GOLD Site Supporter
Thank you so much for that information!!! It's good to know where it came from !! It's going to a great home my friend !! As I will be using it to access my hunting and fishing lodge !! I m very busy all year in my line of work so I would ship it to tucker in late spring early summer to have them go through it and restore her to her former glory !! I would only want tucker parts and any up grades would be done at there recommendations ! Only thing is I would want it back by November so I d have to make sure they would have it completed in that time frame !!! This one has v8 Detroit diesel !! Don't know much about this engine , I might have it pulled and rebuilt and put it on a stand in my shop and have them install cummins . I will send some pics or post them when I get it home and when I take it to my lodge ! I feel like a kid at Christmas lol !!!

If it has a V-8 Detroit Diesel engine, I'm reasonably sure someone other than the Tucker factory installed it. The Aleyska Tuckers typically had the Detroit 4-53T engine. The "4-53" means it is a four cylinder inline engine, with each cylinder being 53 cubic inches. The "T" means it's turbocharged. That engine is a two-stroke Diesel and is known for a voracious appetite for oil, as well as a somewhat unique sound. Some people refer to them as "Screamin' Jimmys".

A Detroit Diesel V-8 engine would be something like an 8V-71, 8V-92, etc. The "V" indicates the cylinder configuration, as inline is assumed.

The Tucker 1700 series did have a Cummins engine option, but it was the V-378 or VT-378 (turbocharged). Those were V-6 engines that preceded the 6BT; made famous in Dodge pickups. They are somewhat rare, and I think it's fair to say - not highly regarded.

Ajay1118

Thanks I will have a great look at it and go through it !! It has an Allison transmission and the gentlemen called me today and he also has the original manual that came with it as well as all the info on it he believes his dad bought it in Vermont at a tucker dealer but is going to confirm it with his dad tomorrow !!!
I lol keep u posted k

sno-drifter

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I doubt that it is a 8V-71. that engine weights over 2000 lbs. The 4t-53 is around 1100 lbs. and is heavy for a snow machine. The 8V would not get out of the valley but I am sure you could hear it on the mountain tops. The video sounds like the 4-53T to me. But then my hearing is way shot, too much time around 6-71's,eh? Still a great project, love to see it run, and hear it too.