• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Aches and Pains Thread

Bamby

I'm finding myself at the age that I'm starting to experience them but still concerned whats safe for potential long term usage to curtail them. I know ibuprofen helps but should I live another ten or more years is it's effects going to do me under...

Thoughts, or what do you find useful?

mla2ofus

GOLD Site Supporter
I shy away from ibuprofen due to potential liver damage. Acetominifen (sp) for me and in limited quantity. Most of my aches and pains I've learned to live with. Some think the golden years should be absolutely pain free. In my case it's all a result of working hard, not smart, in my working years.
Mike

Bamby

Thanks going to look at it... They say I already have some liver damage don't need to create any more...

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
Aleve and good old aspirin works for me.

Acetaminophen and Ibuprofen are not meant to be part of a pain relieving regimen.

There are a lot of natural means available that do work.

Bamby

Aleve and good old aspirin works for me.

Acetaminophen and Ibuprofen are not meant to be part of a pain relieving regimen.

There are a lot of natural means available that do work.

I like the natural route if it proves out. These shoulders are ever going to be right but I'd like them as livable as possible. I looked briefly at Gleens suggestion at least price wise its doable.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
I like the natural route if it proves out. These shoulders are ever going to be right but I'd like them as livable as possible. I looked briefly at Gleens suggestion at least price wise its doable.

There is a teensy little jar of wonder called Tiger Balm.
It's topical and works amazing.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Aleve in the morning and night for me. Along with a 5 mg dose of thc based sativa in pill form in the morning and a dose of dry leaf indica higher in thc around 10pm to sleep through the night pain free. The daytime stuff doesn't affect cognitive function at all and has way less side effects as other prescribed medications I've been on.

And just an fyi, I was the biggest opponent against the stuff all my life.

nixon

Boned
GOLD Site Supporter
I try not to take anything due to some of the meds I’m on . BUT ... if I know I’m going to do something that is going to hurt later , I take some tylenol extra strength to ward off most of the pain . Used to take Aleve ,but it is taboo with the other meds .

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
I figured aleve has to be better than taking 4 or 5 oxycontin every day for pain and being buzzed up all the time. Or lyrica that did nothing but cause me to gain 40pounds.

baldy347

Aleve seriously screwed with my eyesight, took six months and three pair of glasses to determine the cause.

wayne

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Wayne, were you taking Warfarin or something similar along with it?
on the topic of warfarin.

I hated the stuff. Didn't work for me. I kept having to adjust my dose and go down to the clinic twice a week for them to adjust my dose and take blood. It also caused my hair to be falling out in clumps in the shower. I was switched to xarelto. While it's not a perfect drug by any means, it worked to control my blood count numbers. And no more weekly testing. But I was cautioned that if I cut myself they couldn't stop the bleeding while on that. Warfarin at least allows for the chance to administer another medication that reverses the blood thinning properties of the medication.

Bamby

I'm a following and reading the suggestions... I know I can't use the marijuana derivative products. WV doesn't approve of them and is frantically tying to drive up the numbers of pharmaceutical addicts and pharmaceutical stocks. Per capita we're no1 in the nation but they believe there is still room for growth.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Add me to those who go with Aleve (Naproxin). I have prescription strength but it does me well.
Kidney stones are the only thing that has me go for something stronger.

Jim_S

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Dr has me on Tylenol only. I’ve had kidney cancer and liver problems

Attachments

• 54C994BE-1C0D-4D15-94E1-CD8B3041DD5A.jpeg
    54C994BE-1C0D-4D15-94E1-CD8B3041DD5A.jpeg
    83.6 KB · Views: 182

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
Dr has me on Tylenol only. I’ve had kidney cancer and liver problems

Probably your only safe option right now Jim.
It wouldn't be safe for you to take aspirin or ibuprofen either.
I'm not a doctor, but I've known more than most of them when it comes to these things.
We both practice what we know from books , education and experience.
My experience has been that I often know more than them.
:yum:

Jim_S

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Probably your only safe option right now Jim.
It wouldn't be safe for you to take aspirin or ibuprofen either.
I'm not a doctor, but I've known more than most of them when it comes to these things.
We both practice what we know from books , education and experience.
My experience has been that I often know more than them.
:yum:

I take the 325’s instead of the extra strength and to not take them very often.

Danang Sailor

nullius in verba
GOLD Site Supporter
Mostly I ignore pain; it has been a companion for a long time and lets me know I'm still alive. About the only time I medicate for pain is after surgery and then not more than 36 hours. At those times I've found that Torodol works best for me; it actually makes any pain just "go away" for six hours. A true Wonder drug, for me at least! :smile: :clap:

I have a regimen of drugs daily that keep me on the green side of the lawn. (Diabetes, hypertension, and a tendency toward sinus/chest congestion.) I'm not too worried: the odds are in favor of me dying because I irritated some liberal snowflake past it's endurance point!

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
I've been managing my pain fairly well the past few months. Tonight is a different story. Since it was Friday night, we stayed up a bit later than usual in order to avoid being wide awake at 6am. That literally backfired. Meaning it was 4am and I was wide awake with my back on fire. I have permanent muscle and nerve damage going from where the ribs join onto the vertebrae where I broke three vertebrae. Also right down where the vertebrae joins the pelvis.

When I flare up like this, no amount of medication will help. It hurts to sit down. It hurts to stand. It hurts to lay down. There is no relief.

I'm not talking about regular back pain. It's burning so much that the muscles in my legs are a burning numbness and I can't feel my feet. So I'm back to walking at a snails pace with two canes.

Jim_S

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
I've been managing my pain fairly well the past few months. Tonight is a different story. Since it was Friday night, we stayed up a bit later than usual in order to avoid being wide awake at 6am. That literally backfired. Meaning it was 4am and I was wide awake with my back on fire. I have permanent muscle and nerve damage going from where the ribs join onto the vertebrae where I broke three vertebrae. Also right down where the vertebrae joins the pelvis.

When I flare up like this, no amount of medication will help. It hurts to sit down. It hurts to stand. It hurts to lay down. There is no relief.

I'm not talking about regular back pain. It's burning so much that the muscles in my legs are a burning numbness and I can't feel my feet. So I'm back to walking at a snails pace with two canes.

Hope your pain eases up soon.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter

I have a regimen of drugs daily that keep me on the green side of the lawn. (Diabetes, hypertension, and a tendency toward sinus/chest congestion.) I'm not too worried: the odds are in favor of me dying because I irritated some liberal snowflake past it's endurance point!

It seems that we have both arrived at the same point in life. I'm pretty much on the same cocktail of drugs. I don't take painkillers as a general rule. I can't even remember the last time I popped one but the way my back keeps on getting worse it may not be too long.

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
We bought a new mattress about a year and a half ago. If I had another one, I would be guilty of a private bon fire in the back yard tonight if I had my way. :hammer: Memory foam just means you lay in the same hole you made night after night. A night in a hotel with a firm mattress sealed the deal for me. When you wake up in the morning hurting, and the night before you weren't you need a new one.. :hammer:

I see no one makes a mattress that can be flipped. I have to wonder if the makers of these had a pow wow in the Bahama's and are colluding to make us purchase a new one every several years. :hammer:

I wish I could buy a Serta Perfect Sleeper as we had. Son of guns don't make them any more that are free of that bullsh1t foam and are not able to be flipped unless you like sleeping on cardboard.. :hammer:

For the pain in my shoulders, I take Alieve, but only sparingly. To much of anything is bad, and it works best the less you use. JMHO

Regards, Kirk

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
We bought a new semi firm mattress about 4 years ago. It's been good. But I've discovered that I can't lay flat since my accident. So I have a wedge pillow to elevate my upper body. Problem is that my back now needs as soft as I can get it and that wedge pillow is a firm foam. So I improvised. I have the wedge, then a very soft foam pillow under my back and a thicker pillow under my head. Not to mention a grab bar to help me get up on my own in the morning otherwise it ain't happening.

luvs

'lil yinzer~
GOLD Site Supporter
baths-- gotta luv 'em--
i'm pushing 4 a bubble-jet tub~~
forgot to mention neuropathy--
you have pins-&-needles, arms, feet, always-- you can make your way, except, literally, on pins & needles--
cannot say how that affects you- fretting over my career, family, being social, chit...... typing is an effort--
typing~~

Last edited: