• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Ford Motor Company: Here we go: For Sale

DAP

Ford is in the headlines again after taking another severe beating this quarter. The analysts are saying the for sales signs are all printed and just letting the Ink dry:

FOR SALE:

1. Jaguar
2. Land Rover
3. Maseratti ( I think ford owns them?)
4. Volvo (or is that a GM product?)

Who else (Fiat) does Ford own?

:confused2:

jwstewar

Ford doesn't own Fiat. Fiat is its own entity - albeit in some financial trouble and was receiving some help from GM for the Fiat Autos Division for awhile. The Fiat-Ford Connection comes in from where Ford bought New Holland Farm Equipment around '86 or so and then decided in '93 to get out of the equipment business and sold the whole thing to Fiat. Fiat was allowed to used the Ford name until 2000. Each year the name getting progressively smaller.

Ford does own Volvo though. Of course, I think Ford should kill off Mercury, Land Rover, Jaguar, Volvo & Mazda.

I also think GM should kill off GMC, Pontiac, Saturn, & Buick.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Doug, Ford does not own Maserati, a few years ago Maserati was purchased by Ferrari.

Ford owns Volvo, Aston Martin, Jaguar, Land Rover (in addition to Lincoln & Mercury). It is my understanding they have a part ownership of Mazda, but not a majority ownership.

ap_small.gif

Ford to focus on N. America turnaround

By DAVID RUNK, Associated Press WriterThu Aug 3, 5:44 PM ET

Ford Motor Co. is trying to stay focused on its North American turnaround amid a drumbeat of bad news this week. The nation's No. 2 automaker expanded a major recall on Thursday, doubled its second-quarter losses the day before and for the first time, fell behind Toyota in U.S. vehicle sales.

To help, it has hired a former Wall Street merger and acquisitions whiz as a strategic adviser, cementing the idea that everything is on the table as it battles sluggish sales, rising costs and ferocious competition from Asian rivals.
On Tuesday, industry figures for July showed that for the first time, Ford sold fewer vehicles than Toyota Motor Corp. in the United States — underscoring its woes.

Last month, Ford pledged to speed up and possibly deepen its North American turnaround plan. And analysts say the hiring of Kenneth Leet to advise Bill Ford, the automaker's chairman and chief executive, increases the possibility that the company may try to sell some operations as part of its restructuring.

"Everything has to be in play, whether it's job cuts or plant closings or alliances or partnerships or sale of assets," said auto analyst David Cole. "You really can't avoid looking at every element."
Ford says it has no plans to sell any of its brands or invest in a new alliance. Crosstown rival General Motors Corp. is studying a possible alliance with Nissan Motor Co. and Renault SA.

But in an e-mail to employees this week and comments last month, Bill Ford made it clear that the company is keeping its options open.
"I will continue to evaluate the rapidly changing landscape of our industry and review the best ways in which we should adjust," Bill Ford wrote Wednesday. "That's why I've hired Ken Leet to assist me and our senior management team in evaluating our business and exploring strategic options."

Ford hasn't said how he would accelerate the turnaround effort, but expects to detail efforts by mid-September.
Leet, who spent 18 years with Goldman Sachs Group Inc. and led European banking operations for Bank of America Corp., is familiar with Ford from his investment banking work. He was tapped by President Bush in 2003 to be the Treasury Department's undersecretary for domestic finance, but dropped out from consideration, citing health reasons.

"Given Leet's background as an M&A banker, rationalizing some of Ford's ailing brands through a sale appears more likely with Jaguar the most obvious candidate," Merrill Lynch analyst John Murphy wrote in a research note.
Ford spokesman Tom Hoyt said Thursday that Leet isn't giving interviews.

The Wall Street Journal reported Wednesday that Ford is starting a review of poorly performing units, including Jaguar, with an eye toward the possible sale of some operations. But some analysts note that Jaguar is intertwined with Ford on purchasing, manufacturing and distribution — making a sale complex.

Bill Ford, meanwhile, asserted that the company has benefited from turnaround efforts.
"Contrary to speculation, nothing has been decided and we will not rush to judgments," he wrote in his e-mail. "I'm proud of the progress that our operating units and brands around the world are making."

Ford's recent problems come as GM logs milestones in its major restructuring announced in November. GM recently reported it lost $3.4 billion in the second quarter because of heavy charges for layoffs and early retirements, but without those charges the world's largest automaker scored a profit that bolstered management's claim that the turnaround is working.
GM and Ford both have been trying to deal with towering health care and pension costs for their workers. But Japanese automakers continue to add pressure. Last month, U.S. sales at Ford, GM and DaimlerChrysler AG's Chrysler Group all dropped, while Toyota and Honda Motor Co. made gains.

Dearborn-based Ford's "Way Forward" plan, launched in January, calls for shedding 25,000 to 30,000 jobs and closing 14 plants by 2012 to help return Ford's North American automotive operations to profitability. But the company has faced criticism from Wall Street that it isn't doing enough.

Ford, which has been losing market share to Asian manufacturers for a decade, has been badly stung by high gas prices because big trucks and SUVs account for nearly 70 percent of the vehicles it sells. Analysts say any more job or plant cuts must be accompanied by new, appealing vehicles outside of the realm of trucks and SUVs.
"It's difficult to cut your way to success," said Michael Robinet, vice president for global forecasting at the auto industry consulting company CSM Worldwide. "It's going to come down to product."

Ford has said it is making strides. The automaker has touted the Ford Edge and Lincoln MKX coming out later this year in the important crossover segment. Crossovers have many of the attributes of SUVs but are built on a car platform. But analysts note Ford has tough competition in crossovers.

Cole, director of the Center for Automotive Research in Ann Arbor, said automakers such as Ford are trying to wean themselves from the use of deep-discount incentive programs to help sell their vehicles. Instead, he said Ford needs to improve its manufacturing flexibility so it can quickly meet consumer demand.

Despite the automaker's recent string difficulties, Cole said Bill Ford remains secure in his job.
"The key right now is not a change of Bill Ford," Cole said. "It is accelerating the restructuring."

On Thursday, Ford recalled 1.2 million trucks, sport utility vehicles and vans amid concerns about potential engine fires. The news, which builds upon one of the largest recalls in U.S. history, came a day after Ford said that its second-quarter loss more than doubled from what it previously reported because of higher-than-expected pension costs. And Ford said that its luxury division will not be profitable this year.

Ford shares closed down 10 cents, or 1.4 percent, to $6.86 Thursday on the New York Stock Exchange after closing up 38 cents, or 5.8 percent a day earlier.

HGM

This will give you an idea who Ford owns, or has interest in.. Mazda is a partial ownership and its doing well.. The others are part of the PAG(premire auto group) that Nasser built, of questionable reasoning.....

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
Of Ford's ventures in other brands, Land Rover, Jaguar, and Volvo have been reliability nightmares. Besides very low volume in these brands, warranty repair costs have been killing them. They would by far be best suited if they sold the above mentioned brands with a 12 month factory warranty. From my side of the industry and seeing the actuarial statistics, Ford needs to dump everything except their 30% (or so) interest in Mazda. Only the Ford brand products and Mazda brand products are not suffering from severe after the sale costs.

DAP

Ah yes, thanks robert. Aston Martin (btw the new DB9 is one gorgeous automobile). I have always been piqued by the Land Rover moniker. I waited and waited and waited (* class action lawsuit *cough* *cough*) and waited and waited, THEN .. BMW bought Land Rover in 2001! They made doubly sure that if you opened the hood, you would not see the word LUCAS anywhere .. Then I obtained a brandy new Discovery LE. Then after 11 months, bavarian motor works promptly and with great relief probably, sold Land Rover to Ford (PAG).

39 months later, I handed the Rover back to the Manhattan Auto Group. Actually, we loved the truck but it was time for it to go. I almost bought it as it got a brandy new motor 2 months before the lease was up. Someone out there got a 1500 mile motor on this truck for straight retail pricing with 29,000 miles on it.

As you may know, that line of Rovers was discontinued in 05 with the advent of the LR3 which is a completely different, and much more expensive vehicle.

The Range Rovers are a thrill at 80,000 usd though.