• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Snowcat own hands -- Thiokol help needed! --

Vitaliy

Hi everyone!

*I apologize for my English .

I live in a country where there was none when snowcats, but for that we have a lot of snow and mountains. I always thought the device ssnowcat very difficult until I knew about your forum. After spending a lot of time reading the forum I came to the conclusion that if I can not buy a snowcat I 'll build it myself.
Thanks to the forum I have learned a lot about the structure of these remarkable machine but unfortunately this is not enough to build snowcat .
I'm looking for owners snowcat that could help me to collect the missing information.
Originally I wanted to stay at the DMC in 1450 but studied further considered that the design of this machine is not as reliable and in the final result, I stopped at THIOKOL SPRITE or DMC 1200 .
Before the construction of all I want to draw the details in CAD ​​and now I need some data. I hope who may be going to help me .

For clarity, I took some pictures from the forum - I hope the owners will not mind : Улыбка:

Thank you!

Attachments

• wh7kc.jpg
    wh7kc.jpg
    179.4 KB · Views: 541
  • tKGp.jpg
    tKGp.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 542
  • vS0wg.jpg
    vS0wg.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 544

undy

Re: Snowcat own hands

Hello, and welcome. I didn't know there were places without snowcats. I'm impressed by your willingness to change that. Where do you live?

I'm sorry that I can't help with Thiokol dimensions. (My Bombardier is built differently.) But depending on parts availability where you are, you might need to design a machine to fit the parts you can get. For instance, find suitable axles/wheels/tires and space the axles accordingly. Or find the engine/transmission you will use, and build the frame to allow good access. Also, probably determine "G" and "H" by the grouser spacing on your tracks, so that you can adjust a full grouser length or more (for when they stretch).

Others will probably have better advice, as I'm pretty new at this.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter

WOW, what an awesome project.

Thanks for posting, I'm sure someone with a Thiokol will jump in to help.

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
this is interesting if you have lots of mountains I would look more at alpine machines like the Thiokol 2100 or maybe a piston bully or bombardier products. these machines have high power aggressive wide tracks and are intended to travel up and down steep slopes

Vitaliy

Hello, and welcome. I didn't know there were places without snowcats. I'm impressed by your willingness to change that. Where do you live?

I'm sorry that I can't help with Thiokol dimensions. (My Bombardier is built differently.) But depending on parts availability where you are, you might need to design a machine to fit the parts you can get. For instance, find suitable axles/wheels/tires and space the axles accordingly. Or find the engine/transmission you will use, and build the frame to allow good access. Also, probably determine "G" and "H" by the grouser spacing on your tracks, so that you can adjust a full grouser length or more (for when they stretch).

Others will probably have better advice, as I'm pretty new at this.

I live in eastern Kazakhstan. Yes indeed build an exact copy I certainly can not and probably will have to adapt to local parts availability. But the general concept remains Thiocol like very much I like them.
18-%D0%9A%D0%BE%D0%BF%D0%B8%D1%80%D0%BE%D0%B2%D0%B0%D1%82%D1%8C1.jpg

nikos

Vitaliy Welcome to the Forums

Its nice to have friends in Center Asia.
My deepest respect for these beautiful snow cats

nikos

Vitaliy Welcome to the Forums

Its nice to have friends in Center Asia.
My deepest respect for these beautiful snow cats (Leopard)
Regards Nikos

Attachments

• News-the-endangered-snow-leopard-image-dreamstime_s_19694492.jpg
    News-the-endangered-snow-leopard-image-dreamstime_s_19694492.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 499
  • snow-leopard-trace-on-Sarymsakty.jpg
    snow-leopard-trace-on-Sarymsakty.jpg
    182.5 KB · Views: 497

Vitaliy

Hi Nikos, yes indeed, these animals really live in our mountains. They are called IRBIS very sorry that very few of them left.

nikos

Vitaliy

Welcome to the paradise of the Snow Cats. You are in the right place.
You don't Know how many people, are watching you in Kazakhstan.
So first we need extra fotos. (We know that the winter is too long, or the geographic - morphic area in your country is very impressive. High mountains, etc etc.)
So we need fotos, then we need extra information about your project.
Too many people here, have great ideas for solving problems on your constructions.

"The snow leopard is one of the rarest mammals of Kazakhstan"
So everyone here in the Forums are thinng the same about your Snow Trac

We love also the Borat:biggrin::biggrin:

Regards Nikos
(Dont forget the Fotos)

Vitaliy

Unfortunately so far I have nothing to show. There are just some sketches. As I've said all the work will start with the design, but for this I need some information which I hope to get on this forum.

Hey guys do not have any me who will not help with sizes?

undy

Vitaliy,

It's kind of an off-season for snowcats, so perhaps that's why others haven't offered info yet.

As I mentioned, I do not own one of the cats you're searching for. But you can probably start some planning anyway. It isn't necessarily best for you to just copy an old design, I'd think.

Here's a link to some early research on snowcats (1950's) http://digitalcommons.usu.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1960&context=etd

It's got some great discussion about changes they made to the design of them, and since they were pretty much making it up with whatever was available, it might be appropriate to you.

From what I've seen, they're somewhat similar to a truck in weight etc., and the frames are built similarly sturdy. I'd guess your "C", "D", and "E" are 3-4", 2", and 1/4" or thereabouts. But remember, tube-frame race trucks are built with much smaller members, and you could go that route too.

On mine, there is a 2" x 2" x 1/4" channel that runs across the front, and supports the front of the cab. The cab framing is quite light, perhaps 1"x1"x3/32, but it would be nice to have roll-over protection built in.

If I were trying what you want to do, I'd first figure out what axles and drive-train I could get. If steel was a problem to source, I'd use whatever I had available. Design a frame to fit the drive train and axles, and then be creative about the cab. Think too about whether you need a plow, etc.

Good luck.

nikos

Unfortunately so far I have nothing to show. There are just some sketches. As I've said all the work will start with the design, but for this I need some information which I hope to get on this forum.

Hey guys do not have any me who will not help with sizes?

Vitaliy

I Think is very important to see, some of your Sketches, about your idea.
You have to give an extra food, to the monsters (Of Knowledge) here.
You don't know how many ideas, had been started, with a pencil in the paper.
A small sketch will probably gives us the feeling, of the context, the scale of what are you thinking to modificate

nikos

What type of motor are you going to use?
China is too close to find spare parts ( Sprockets - differential, tyres, axel etc.)

Regards Nikos

Vitaliy

Hello! If someone thought that I abandoned the idea of ​​building a cat he is seriously mistaken))

The engine here is a - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercedes-Benz_OM616
Power certainly not enough but it is very reliable and easy. Besides, he has a line and suitable dimensions.
But it's turning mechanism OC-4 unfortunately we did not find so I found a Russian analogue machine new only $ 500

tovar-12893.jpg

By the way who can tell whether or how about at least weighs OC-4?
Now in all decide to question what make the suspension.

Nikson

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I'm surprised that the thread died off, I guess Vitaliy didnt make it far...

If he comes back, or is on here still - feel free to refer him to me, as I might help him out simpler since we might not have to deal with the language barrier.

Cheers to all!!!

Snowy Rivers

Projects die for various reasons... I have been through the excitement and the sadness that goes with projects.

Having the materials at hand is one thing and then of course the tools (Machines, welder, etc, etc)
Having design and engineering skills is another thing altogether.

I am not familiar with what is available in Asia as far as materials, but here in the states there is a wealth of "Goodies" laying about that are readily available.

With the advent of Craig's list folks can connect quickly and easily to buy and sell.

Having the "McGyver" gift helps a lot too ...

I do hope Vitaliy can realize his dream.

Nikson

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
No pun intended... but a lot of times folks jump into quick conclusions of the simple - if he cants - why cant I kinda deal...

Over the past few years, I've been contacted by a lot of "russians" that found me via Youtube or other means, and saw me build what I've had... putting their thoughts together - I've not seen one yet come back to me with a finished product.

I've done my best to explain what/how/who/where and such, but for the most part, a lot of people are lacking the main core ingredient - the true reason why - why they want the machine, the main purpose... and thats the driver of any project. If its just to "have it - flaunt it" etc., its not happening no matter how much money one got... :)

just my 2 cents