• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

New Member from Utah w/Thiokol Serial # Question

Chris1974

[FONT=&quot] Hi All, I have been reading threads on rebuilding snow cats on this site for months. And now that I have purchased an old 1404, I have a question about the Thiokol serial numbers.

The last owner thought it was a 1976, but it's serial number is 162 and I think the Imp is older that 1976. I found a Ford tag on the valve cover and when I checked with a ford.com person, they responded:
"Your serial number translates to date Aug.12, 1966."

So are their any readers on here with a 1404 with a serial number below 300 or 200 that can tell me your manufacturing year?

Thank you
[/FONT]

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
Re: New Member from Utah

[FONT=&quot] Hi All, I have been reading threads on rebuilding snow cats on this site for months. And now that I have purchased an old 1404, I have a question about the Thiokol serial numbers.

The last owner thought it was a 1976, but it's serial number is 162 and I think the Imp is older that 1976. I found a Ford tag on the valve cover and when I checked with a ford.com person, they responded:
"Your serial number translates to date Aug.12, 1966."

So are their any readers on here with a 1404 with a serial number below 300 or 200 that can tell me your manufacturing year?

Thank you
[/FONT]

Welcome.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
[FONT=&quot] Hi All, I have been reading threads on rebuilding snow cats on this site for months. And now that I have purchased an old 1404, I have a question about the Thiokol serial numbers...
[/FONT]

Hi Chris

Welcome to the asylum for snowcat owners, lovers, admirers and regular & sane people too.

I'm the moderator for the Snowcat area and figured I'd do a little edit to the title of your thread to try to see if it might draw some specific answers for you.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Just me but I would guess 1967?

I'm not a Thiokol guy, but with the Aktiv Snow Tracs it was common to find motors that were from a model year older than the units production year.

So if the engine in your unit can be reliably dated to late in the year 1966 then its reasonable to assume the snowcat was made sometime after the engine. Assume a modest delay between the engine's production date (August) and the manufacturing of the snowcat, which is a low production machine, its likely that your Imp was made in very late '66 or sometime in 1967.