• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Differential gears needed

the old trucker

I was told by a mechanic that I need the spider gears & the case for same for an early Dodge car/pickup (late 40's- early 50's). He told me it has 4:11 gears with a 10 spline axle. I am restoring a 1947 Bombardier B12 snowmobile. He told me they call it a loaded case. I will take a 3:90 ratio also if available. I have pics in

Snowcat Restoration & Modification Projects

subscribed.gif
Old "Woody" Restoration (b12) ~w/PHOTOS

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
what i think you are looking for is a carrier you may want to stay away from anything with a posi unit may impact your ability to steer if you are wanting to change gears than you will need a pinion gear to go with it also im gussing that that the 2 gear sets use the same carrier.

the old trucker

I have pics in the restoration spot. There is a tooth broken off & the thrust washers ?? are worn. He said the case for the spider gears is also worn. I have to use the same axles due to the narrow width of the unit.
I can get all the bearings & seals locally. I would be willing to change it to a 3:90 ratio, if it's all I can get.

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
you need what's called a carrier and you will also have to get the pinion gear if you change the gear set good luck check the vintage dodge sites

the old trucker

I think you misunderstood me. I want to keep the 4:11 if possible, making everything easier but if I have to I would use the 3:90 if I came accross the complete setup.
Right now I need the 4:11 spider gears, thrush washers & the case for the spider gears. My crown & pinion are OK.

The Old Trucker

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
i ment that if you changed make certain you get both ring and pinion with your carrie i would guess thhe lower rtio would be more common as every thing had 80 horse flat heads back then