• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Edible Landscaping Bushes?

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
OK folks, I'm looking for some landscaping help. We put in a new retaining wall that is about 75' long and I want to put a row of bushes along the wall. These will be in FULL SUN and will be planted in HEAVY CLAY SOIL in agricultural zone 5.

I'm looking for some ideas of EASY MAINTENANCE bushes that bear edible fruits. Blueberries are the first that come to mind, I've got them on the property and will probably add some more. Elderberries also come to mind and I don't have any of those on the property so I'd like to add some.

But what else can you think of that are edible berries that form nice bushes? The ideal bush would grow 4 to 6 feet tall and produce fruits that people find tasty.

Raspberry and Blackberry are not really suitable for this spot and they really form thickets instead of bushes so I do not want to include them in this planting. I have them in other areas of the property anyway, so I don't need to add more of these.

loboloco

Vine type, but Scuppernongs or muskiedines come to mind. Another thought, for low growing stuff, herbs make a great combo. Just beware of Sage as it can, and will take over.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I do not want vines so the grapes are out. The reason I want bushes is that they will form a barrier hedge.

I'd prefer they not have thorns. Anyone grow HUCKLEBERRY and is it hardy in Zone 5?

loboloco

Mel, will give this some thought and get back to you. Pygmy fruit types come to mind, but not sure they can survive a z5.