• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

An Old Wives Tale: Knee High by the 4th of July.

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
Well I don't think I have to worry about that much. I lost a lot of my corn a couple of weeks ago in a storm but some of that even though knocked down from the wind it has come back. I should have a good crop after all. This is my corn as of today. I know it is a day late of the 4th but I think I made the knee high easily.

I know some of you are already eating corn but remember we have a short planting season and can not plant until after May 1st. Mine has a lot of tassels already.

Attachments

• Corn 07-05-2010.jpg
    Corn 07-05-2010.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 46

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
The corn around here is way tall and I haven't seen one field that looks bad.
Trust me, we are surrounded by corn here. Can't wait to buy some fresh sweet corn.
You look good Steve :)

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
The corn around here is way tall and I haven't seen one field that looks bad.
Trust me, we are surrounded by corn here. Can't wait to buy some fresh sweet corn.
You look good Steve :)

I need a hair cut and the wind didn't help at all.:whistling:

JEV

Mr. Congeniality
GOLD Site Supporter
I traveled I-80 from Toledo to Cleveland last Saturday, and most of the corn was at above-average height. That being said, our season is a good three weeks ahead of normal growing seasons. Your corn looks great.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Heck we are not quite knee high yet with the early stuff and others is only about 8inches if that. We kept getting late frosts and a lot of folks lost early plantings.

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
What are you talking about? My corn is only a foot tall We can't plant until after Memorial Day. Of course, we don't always get decent corn either.

We have a short season.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
There's an alien in your corn Murph... :hide:

On the "knee high" adage, was that meant for cow corn or sweet corn?

I know people that grow heirloom corn and it doesn't grow anywhere near as fast (or get as big) as the more modern seeds.

Cowboy

Wait for it.
GOLD Site Supporter
Looks like a nice stand of corn , glad to see it came back for you from the recent storm . :biggrin:

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
There's an alien in your corn Murph... :hide:

On the "knee high" adage, was that meant for cow corn or sweet corn?

I know people that grow heirloom corn and it doesn't grow anywhere near as fast (or get as big) as the more modern seeds.

I did a search for the term and did not find where the term come from but it does exist and was mostly used by farmers. But by today's standards they expect it to be way over knee high somewhere around waste high. It would pertain to both sweet corn and field corn.

As for the Heirloom I saw one article that expected it to be at least knee high by the 4th. I have tassels already and by the end of this week all stalks should be tasseled out.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
This is one of my favoruite places to go for sweetcorn.
http://www.suterproduce.com/sweetcorn/sweetcorn.php

Suters have their little red barns in several cities near me, like Lima, Ottawa and Pandora. I see they even go as far south as Columbus.

There is also a family just up 66 from me who have owned the farm for years and sell their produce, although they are very pricey on some things.

loboloco

The neighbors horse got loose last night. We now have only half a row of our early corn left. What it didn't eat it trampled. Nice horse though. So now we are depending on our 2d planting to get our corn put up for the winter.

Last edited by a moderator: