• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

42" - 62" projection TV's

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Any recommendations?

Mrs. Zoom called me from Home Depot this afternoon and they have some 50" Magnavox TV's they're trying to dump. I drove there but didn't care for it although the price was nice. ($1460)

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
For that size TV I would look at HDTVs only. I prefer 720p over 1080i because the progressive scan looks much better than the interlaced scan during action scenes and sporting events. There is a new 1080p chipset out, those are currently the most expensive of the projection TVs. I also like the picture quality of the DLP sets over the standard projections. Samsung makes some excellent DLP HDTV projection sets, if you don't buy their latest models the prices drop accordingly. Samsung's are rated very highly by most of the website. Sony has some Grand Wega sets that are very nice, my brother has one in 42", I prefer the Samsung and am thinking of getting another one, I currently have a 56" and am looking for a 50" for the family room.

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I have mixed feelings about projections. My tubes alway lasted 10 years plus. We bought a 52" Toshiba HDTV a little over 3 years ago. It's in the shop now, the remote sensor went out. For the last year it's had what I thought was a burn mark and there looking into it now. Technician was very helpful. Told him about the mark and he gave me hope it may be just dirt cause my desciption of the burn didn't seem severe enough for him to believe it was a burn. I hope not cause depending on which if not all three tubes are burnt it will cost $250 each to repair. Burn marks are the big negatory with projections! He said if it is all three ditch it and I paid $2K for mine.

He also clued me into the new flatter LCD TV's. Said what the manufactures and sellers don't tell you is to expect to replace the bulb every year at a cost of $400. So the next answer to replacement is plasma and we all know how much they are. Never thought buying a TV would get this complicated!

OhioTC18

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
I looked at a lot of the ones that Bob mentioned. I had been shopping for a widescreen since the 50" Mitsubishi Rear Projection died.
I looked at plasma, I looked at DLP, I looked at LCD.......but what caught my eye was the JVC HD-ILA 52". It is similar to the Sony SXR something or other. I was told ILA was close to the DLP technology. Great picture........ :thumb:

AndyM

Charter Member
I didn't know Home Depot sold televisions.
When do I have to switch to HDTV? Is it still 2009?
My 19 inch Montgomery Wards TV is still going strong... I'm waiting for it to quit working to have an excuse to buy a new one. No luck yet, it even rolled down the steps several years ago... it still has the dent in the top of it to prove it!

HGM

I still like my 15yr old Mitsubishi 60" projection.. But, when it finally kicks it, I'm looking for an LCD or Plasma. I've had a board changed twice, believe it was $300(or less each time)..Well worth the money, but the damn thing is just too big for the house..

I've always been told that the plasma has a lower life span than the LCD.. I really dont know from experience, but have had several TV guys tell me that. Worth checking into before buying, I would think. The way the flat pannels are dropping in price, I'll hold out as long as I can..

buy_25

Banned
I have a small 61” Toshiba from 2000 and an Epson LCD projector in my theater room. It is only 1024 x 768 (XGA). Only goes up to 300 inches! Right now it is at 10 feet in my room. Just big enough to make the 61” look like a pocketsize (which it does).

Toshiba is going strong and I would never buy anything but that or Hitachi. The 61” runs about 10 to 12 hours per day everyday (50% is XM radio on direct tv). No issues since day one.

The price he stated $1460 seems high for a 50” nevermind a Magnavox.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
AndyM said:
When do I have to switch to HDTV? Is it still 2009?

NEVER. The broadcasts will switch from Analog to Digital but any Digital set will pick up those signals. High Definition Digital is a sub-set of Digital, and there is no need to upgrade to HD. There will be a reason to upgrade to Digital. Digital TVs are already priced in the $300 to $500 range for 25" to 27" sets.

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
B_Skurka said:
NEVER. The broadcasts will switch from Analog to Digital but any Digital set will pick up those signals. High Definition Digital is a sub-set of Digital, and there is no need to upgrade to HD. There will be a reason to upgrade to Digital. Digital TVs are already priced in the $300 to $500 range for 25" to 27" sets.

Bob, you'll have to tell me how HD is. I have a couple of HD sets, but I'm too cheap to pay the cable surcharge for HD. :eek: Is it nice? One of these days I'll get me a plasma but right now I'm broke and the tax man is verrrry close at hand.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I was coming back in the car from a meeting yesterday with my VP and a consultant and all 3 of us decided that we would rather watch a crappy show on HD than a good show on regular TV. Basically, once you watch shows in HD you get hooked on the quality and either you watch HD or you don't bother watching TV at all.

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
B_Skurka said:
I was coming back in the car from a meeting yesterday with my VP and a consultant and all 3 of us decided that we would rather watch a crappy show on HD than a good show on regular TV. Basically, once you watch shows in HD you get hooked on the quality and either you watch HD or you don't bother watching TV at all.

Gee, thanks, you talked me out of trying HD. :moon:

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Well my favorite HD shows are Navy NCIS, CSI, 24 and Las Vegas. See those on HD and you've seen the best. Movies are awesome too.

Most people don't realize that HD is actually higher quality than a DVD so if you like the quality of a DVD on an HD set, you ain't seen nuttin yet!

OkeeDon

I'm in the camp of, "If ya ain't seen it, ya don't know whatcher missin." I'm at the age where I well remember laying on the floor in front of the console radio, listening to the Lone Ranger. When I was married, one of the hotels on our honeymoon advertised color TVs, but it turned out it was only in their penthouse suites so we had B&W. In other words, color TV itself is a miracle to me, and I don't need anything better. Especially if I have to spend big bucks for the equipment and monthly payments to see it. Basic Dish Network is really more than I want to spend.

BTW, I've never seen any of the shows you mentioned...

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
buy_25 said:
I have a small 61” Toshiba from 2000 and an Epson LCD projector in my theater room. It is only 1024 x 768 (XGA). Only goes up to 300 inches! Right now it is at 10 feet in my room. Just big enough to make the 61” look like a pocketsize (which it does).

Isn't that known as picture-in-picture? :yum:

jwstewar

We bought a 60" Hitachi LCD Projection last year. It is HD ready - but does not have a tuner. Where we live, you can't pick up a TV signal for crap - can barely get some of the Columbus radio stations - so I couldn't see spending the $ for a tuner when it will have to come through Satellite anyway. We haven't upgraded the Dish to HD yet, but whenever they start carrying the locals in HD we probably will. I chose the LCD over DLP because I don't like the looks of DLP. It turns out there a few folks that can actually see the mirrors in DLP. I have terrible eyesight (well I did before my Epi-Lasek) but I'm one of the ones that can see the mirrors. DLP screens look grainy to me. Just to make sure that it just wasn't the setup at the store, We went to several different stores and even tried switching cables. Didn't matter. I wanted DLP because that is what everybody said was best. I just couldn't stand to watch it. Even w/o upgrading to the HD though there is still a difference in the quality of TV signals from DISH. Some channels must be broadcasting digitally while others aren't because sometimes the little disclaimers at the bottom of the screen are clear, other times they are real blurry.

buy_25

Banned
There are pro and cons to ever LCD, Plasma, DLP and CRT. For the best color color (richness) CRT is the way to go. Then it is Plasma, LCD then DLP from what I have seen. Contrast on DLP is typically twice as great as LCD. By providing better blacks, colors will look more vivid." But LCD has a shaper image for the price. Plasma has nice rich blacks, reds etc.

But DLP is brighter in lumens. DLP technology is smaller and smaller
pixellation too (in higher end units) >10,000 beans. Plasma can burn in a screen while LCD can’t. Plasma uses the most power then all.

So it is a toss up one what you like. My LCD projector does not produce black levels like my small 61” but it is nice to pick up a 5 lb unit and move it!

...and so on.

[font=&quot]I have had direct TV for 5 years. Worth the $100 per month for everything I can get. [/font]