• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Wood Chipper

JimR

Charter Member
My wife wanted me to buy a wood chipper to clean up the mess from that huge ice storm we got last month. I found this one today not too far away and got it for $1600.

Brush \ Wood Chipper - handles 8" branches, has 6 cyl. engine - $1800

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
]
Date: 2009-01-05, 6:34PM EST

Good deal for someone, nice sized wood chipper, runs and works fine. electric start, International Harvester 6 cyl gas, takes up to 8" piece of wood, extra set of blades included. fold down hopper. tires good, frame good, lights,takes 2" ball, tows beautiful. clean and compact unit. Could use a new muffler and a new battery.

Attachments

• Chipper1.jpg
    Chipper1.jpg
    5.6 KB · Views: 101
  • Chipper2.jpg
    Chipper2.jpg
    6.8 KB · Views: 101
  • Chipper3.jpg
    Chipper3.jpg
    4.9 KB · Views: 102
  • Chipper4.jpg
    Chipper4.jpg
    6.4 KB · Views: 103

JimR

Charter Member
We normally burn our brush too. Our back yard and wood lot looks like a tornado went through it.

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
My wife wanted me to buy a wood chipper to clean up the mess from that huge ice storm we got last month. I found this one today not too far away and got it for $1600.

Brush Wood Chipper - handles 8" branches, has 6 cyl. engine - $1800

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
]
Date: 2009-01-05, 6:34PM EST

Good deal for someone, nice sized wood chipper, runs and works fine. electric start, International Harvester 6 cyl gas, takes up to 8" piece of wood, extra set of blades included. fold down hopper. tires good, frame good, lights,takes 2" ball, tows beautiful. clean and compact unit. Could use a new muffler and a new battery.

Let me know when your done with it, I'll be up to borrow it ............... :whistling:

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
I'm sure you can clean it up a little and sell it to somebody for a profit if needed.

Look for guys with shiny new dump trucks. Paint it Kioti orange and I bet you could sell it to them for a tidy profit! :whistle:

JimR

Charter Member
Let me know when your done with it, I'll be up to borrow it ............... :whistling:

Right along with my younger brother, cousin, all the neighbors who have driven by and seen it sitting in my driveway today and probably everyone in town as word of mouth spreads quickly here. I'm now thinking of finally installing a dump setup under my truck and building a box on the back to do cleanups. I bet I could make some quick cash to pay this thing off in no time flat.

JimR

Charter Member
I'm sure you can clean it up a little and sell it to somebody for a profit if needed.

Look for guys with shiny new dump trucks. Paint it Kioti orange and I bet you could sell it to them for a tidy profit! :whistle:

My wife took a crap when I told her what I paid for it. Then I told her what I thought I could sell it for after we got through using it. I also thought about doing what you suggested but making it Kubota Orange. Who knows I just may keep it to make money with. I also want to buy a small trailerable stump grinder to rid our property of all the stumps we now have. That would give me another sideline to make money with.

Deerlope

That chipper should be in the junk pile. I don't see any safteys on it to stop the infeed to prevent someone from being pulled into it. Take it back to where you bought it and make the seller take it back.

Erik

SelfBane
Site Supporter
that sounds like sour grapes...

I say use the heck out of it.
charge folks $40 an hour to grind their piles up.
use the $$ from the first weekend to buy a stump grinder and make yourself some serious $$ over the next couple of months cleaning up the storm damage.
when you're done, clean it up some and repaint it to stop it from rotting in your side yard and hold onto it for the next ice storm.

ps. walnut makes bad mulch, but good "walking path" chips as it has a chemical in it that inhibits other plant growth.

JimR

Charter Member
That chipper should be in the junk pile. I don't see any safteys on it to stop the infeed to prevent someone from being pulled into it. Take it back to where you bought it and make the seller take it back.

Thanks for the advice. But I do not need safeties to run equipment just like I don't need an anti-kickback chain on my professional chainsaw to safely cut down trees or cut up cordwood. Don't get me wrong here. Safeties do save lives. Normaly they save the lives of people who don't pay attention to what they are doing or shouldn't be operating such equipment in the first place or were never trained to properly operate it. Those are the types that need it. This reminds me of a guy I knew that took a guard off a big lathe to show an operator how to deburr a part with the chuck spinning. Ever hear the saying "Stupid is as Stupid does"? This guy had on a long sleeve shirt and it got caught on the spinning chuck. They pulled him out of the lathe when it finally was stopped. He lived, but I wouldn't want to be in his shoes. He literally got chewed up from the underside of his left arm all the way down the left side of his body and left leg. Accidents don't happen by themselves. They are caused by stupid acts and not paying attention. I will heed your warnings when I use this to clean up my property.

JimR

Charter Member
that sounds like sour grapes...

I say use the heck out of it.
charge folks $40 an hour to grind their piles up.
use the $$ from the first weekend to buy a stump grinder and make yourself some serious $$ over the next couple of months cleaning up the storm damage.
when you're done, clean it up some and repaint it to stop it from rotting in your side yard and hold onto it for the next ice storm.

ps. walnut makes bad mulch, but good "walking path" chips as it has a chemical in it that inhibits other plant growth.

I have a barn to store the chipper in or under when it is not in use. I do plan to clean it up and give it a few good coats of paint. I may even match it up to my Cub Cadet colors. I missed out on a nice grinder a few months back. It was sold the same day it was advertised. I'm hoping that a few more will pop up before winter ends.

Deerlope

If OSHA knew that chipper was for sale , the sale would have been stopped. You had better be the only one to us it or else you leave yourself open for a law suit if an accident does happen. I am also a pro forester. My chipper has the saftey bar on it. I agree tha most accidents are cause by people who didn't think it was important to read the instruction or be at the saftey breifing.

JimR

Charter Member
If OSHA knew that chipper was for sale , the sale would have been stopped. You had better be the only one to us it or else you leave yourself open for a law suit if an accident does happen. I am also a pro forester. My chipper has the saftey bar on it. I agree tha most accidents are cause by people who didn't think it was important to read the instruction or be at the saftey breifing.

I don't think that OSHA laws apply to private party sales on used equipment. I will check into it should I decide to sell it. I have no intentions on lending this out to anyone. I would have bought a much newer machine if I could afford to. Right now this is what I can afford to buy.

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter

Borrow It ???? :ermm: Hell , I would like to be first on the list to buy it when your done !!! You got a great deal !!!

JimR

Charter Member
Borrow It ???? :ermm: Hell , I would like to be first on the list to buy it when your done !!! You got a great deal !!!

You guys are funny.

I'll try and get an action shot once I start to use it. First things first though. I want to go through this unit to make sure nothing is loose, change the fluids, cutters, spark plugs and whatever needs to be done to it. The four drive belts appear to be in good condition. I'll be putting it in my garage sometime next week to work on it. At least it is heated and out of the damn cold that we have been having.

JimR

Charter Member
The previous owner was not a mechanic. This chipper had new spark plugs, wires, coil, cap, rotor and a set of points in it. I thought it was all set tune up wise until I tried to figure out why the muffler seam was split and the dang thing backfired out the carb and exhaust while trying to start it. I solved the problem very easily once I found out what the firing order was today. The previous owner had not ony crossed the spark plug wires. He had them going in the wrong direction. He also had installed small engine spark plugs in the motor. The motor is an IH BD 265 with 154 HP. A trip to the local parts store for an oil filter cartridge and a new set of spark plugs shown the light on stupidity. They told me that the plugs in my motor were small engine plugs. LOL, I wondered why the plugs were so short and hard to get a socket on them to remove them from the engine. Using my motor number and old books they found the right plugs for the motor. The next step was doing some research on the internet for the firing order and distributor rotation. Here is how he had the firing order. I cannot believe that this motor even ran like this. The wires were set for a clockwise rotation as follows
1-5-3-6-2-4. This is the firing order but it is in the wrong direction and number one is in the wrong place for a starting point. So I found TDC on the motor and used the rotor position as the #1 starting point. The second set of numbers are correct and the rotation of the distributor is counter clockwise. I cannot for the life of me figure out how this motor ran. I even chipped up some 2 inch brush with this just for kicks after getting it home. The chipper ate right through the brush with no problem. I now have it running even better now. I can't wait to really try it out. As for the safety issue mentioned in a previous post about this chipper not having a safety bar. I think I may have figured out a way to attach a wrap around safety bar at the back of the chipper chute. This will control the engagement lever at the back of the motor by using fixed brackets and linkage rods. She's starting to take the shape of a mean chipper. I also found out why chippers like this were discontinued. They are so fast that you do not have time to react if your gloves or clothing get hung up on a branch. Without a
feed-in roller the brush is at the mercy of the super high speed cutters and flies right through and sometimes right back out of the chipper. A good friend of mine used to work for his father's previous tree business. He told me to install a set of heavy rubber truck mud flaps at the back of the chute to catch any throwbacks. That is on my list of things to add to this chipper.
------Wrong Firing Order---------------Right Firing Order
---------Clockwise--------------------Counter-clockwise

----------(5)-------------------------------(2)
-------(1) > (3)-------------------------(4)---(6)
-------(4)---(6)-------------------------(1) > (3)
----------(2)-------------------------------(5)

Deerlope

Good luck with it Jim. Never take you eye off of it while feeding stuff into it, because if it can hurt you it will. On another forum that I am on a guy was working for a utility company doing tree work. He was out with a chipper one day and when the boss stopped by to see how he was doing. He was no where to be found. Upon looking around they found blood and body matter in the back of the chip truck. The guy had gotten caught and went thru. This was a 12" chipper with all the safteys. We on the forum never heard what really happen or why the saftyes failed to protect him. A good saftey system has a electric eye on it and will stop infeed and shut down. Even throwing a waded up paper bag into it will stop it. Again good luck and stay safe.

JimR

Charter Member
Good luck with it Jim. Never take you eye off of it while feeding stuff into it, because if it can hurt you it will. On another forum that I am on a guy was working for a utility company doing tree work. He was out with a chipper one day and when the boss stopped by to see how he was doing. He was no where to be found. Upon looking around they found blood and body matter in the back of the chip truck. The guy had gotten caught and went thru. This was a 12" chipper with all the safteys. We on the forum never heard what really happen or why the saftyes failed to protect him. A good saftey system has a electric eye on it and will stop infeed and shut down. Even throwing a waded up paper bag into it will stop it. Again good luck and stay safe.

I threw a 12 foot long 2 " branch into this chipper before I got it running right. I do know what it is capable of doing in the flick of an eye. These machines are killers for anyone who is careless or unprepared for the worse. I have been told to not wear gloves with cuffs or any type of loose clothing that can get caught on a branch. My tree buddy told me to be very careful with this machine. His father had two chippers that were quite similar in design. He said that they were the fastest chippers he had ever used and most dangerous. Going by the year of the motor in it. I believe that this chipper was made in or around 1966 - 1968. I also found out that the motor was rebuilt or replaced with a new long block assembly. The motor is a different color than the oil pan, valve cover and bellhousing. I was playing with the chipper again tonight. There is no brake on it. Even with a quick disconnect safety the drum will spin until it is out of centrifical force.

Deerlope

That type of chipper for saftey is why they were discountinued. The newer style have an infeed roller that starts the chipping action by crimping. The roller assembly(in feed) is usually driven by a hydraulic motor and that is what the saftey bar is hooked up to. Nothing can get to the chipper head if the infeed is not turning.

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
Just another day at Jim's house:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6OR71VU010"]YouTube - Fargo: Wood Chipper Scene[/ame]

:whistle: :hide:

JimR

Charter Member
Great Movie. Quite a few years ago a guy rented a chipper to do some of his "yardwork". Unfortunately for him he didn't clean up the chipper well enough before returning it. The rental company found body matter in the chute. He was arrested for killing his wife.

JimR

Charter Member

What good is an electric eye for a safety? It cannot tell wether a branch or human is getting put into the chipper? I could see using an electric eye to initiate engagement of the feed motor when a branch is inserted. That would make sense to me.

SimS

Good luck with your "chuck 'n duck" chipper. Those things scare the crap out of me. My chipper has in-feed rollers and a safety bar and I still keep my eye on that safety bar with each pass. Please be careful because those things love to eat and they don't care if it's hard and crunchy or soft and squishy. Be careful, stay alert and don't let novices near that thing.

SimS

Deerlope

What good is an electric eye for a safety? It cannot tell wether a branch or human is getting put into the chipper? I could see using an electric eye to initiate engagement of the feed motor when a branch is inserted. That would make sense to me.

I can see that I should not have said electric eye but I should have said a sensor. You really need to go look at a modern day chipper to see what the safeties are all about.

JimR

Charter Member
Good luck with your "chuck 'n duck" chipper. Those things scare the crap out of me. My chipper has in-feed rollers and a safety bar and I still keep my eye on that safety bar with each pass. Please be careful because those things love to eat and they don't care if it's hard and crunchy or soft and squishy. Be careful, stay alert and don't let novices near that thing.

SimS

I plan on being the only nut that feeds this monster. She is running like a top now and fires up on the first try. I plan on having some fun with it tomorrow afternoon.