• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

64 Bit Version of Windows XP Pro

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
Because at times I have so many progams running I purchased some extra memory for my laptop. I had one meg and the price for 2 meg was not much different than 4 meg so I bought the 4 meg. I have not gotten the memory yet but reading up on it I find I may only be able to read 3 of the 4 meg unless I have a 64 bit version. I have a 32 bit version. In some of my Google searches I find you can upgrade but I can't find a website to do this?

Am I wasting my time trying to do this and looking for trouble. I am sure if I read the 3 meg it will be plenty and may not be worth the hassles.

Any opinions would be appreciated.

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
Hope you didn't pay very much for all that RAM. I had 4 meg on my old 486-66 about 15 years ago.

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
Hope you didn't pay very much for all that RAM. I had 4 meg on my old 486-66 about 15 years ago.

And you had Windows 3.1 or Win95? You would not have been able to read all of it would you have?

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
And you had Windows 3.1 or Win95? You would not have been able to read all of it would you have?

I think it was WFWG 3.11 No problems reading all of it. Probably could have used a bunch more, but that shit was expensive back then.

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
I think it was WFWG 3.11 No problems reading all of it. Probably could have used a bunch more, but that shit was expensive back then.

Did you have a program that allowed you to read it. I thought WFWG could only read so much.

And do you have any other suggestions for me on reading the full 4 meg?

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
Did you have a program that allowed you to read it. I thought WFWG could only read so much.

And do you have any other suggestions for me on reading the full 4 meg?

I don't think Win2K will even boot with only 4 meg. Vista doesn't even have a chance.

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
I don't think Win2K will even boot with only 4 meg. Vista doesn't even have a chance.

My daughter only has 1 meg of RAM on her Vista Business machine. Boots ok but is slow if you are running more than two programs.

My XP Pro has 1 meg and for the most part is fine unless I run too many programs.

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
My daughter only has 1 meg of RAM on her Vista Business machine. Boots ok but is slow if you are running more than two programs.

My XP Pro has 1 meg and for the most part is fine unless I run too many programs.

No way, nuh uh, not a chance.

Bobcat

Je Suis Charlie Hebdo
GOLD Site Supporter
Come on now, let him off the hook! :rolleyes: We all know he means gig of RAM. :pat:

Deadly Sushi

The One, The Only, Sushi
SUPER Site Supporter
Windows XP Will only recognize 3.5 GB of RAM.
I would recommend getting the fastest speed that your board / BIOS can handle. :thumb:

jwstewar

Windows XP Will only recognize 3.5 GB of RAM.
I would recommend getting the fastest speed that your board / BIOS can handle. :thumb:

That is why he was inquiring about the 64-bit version. I think you need to get Amy Whorehouse out of your brain and pay attention to the posts.:mrgreen::hide:

I'm getting ready to build a new machine, I will probably go with Vista 64-bit so I can slap 8-gig into. The motherboard will probably support up to 16-gig - at least that is what I'm intending at this point.

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
That is why he was inquiring about the 64-bit version. I think you need to get Amy Whorehouse out of your brain and pay attention to the posts.:mrgreen::hide:

I'm getting ready to build a new machine, I will probably go with Vista 64-bit so I can slap 8-gig into. The motherboard will probably support up to 16-gig - at least that is what I'm intending at this point.

Any particular reason? All it's going to do is cost more, be less compatible (not as many 64 bit applications) and it won't go any faster.

jwstewar

Reason I'm going to go with the 64-bit version of Vista is to allow the 8 gig of RAM. My understanding is 32-bit programs will still run on it, they just won't take advantage of the 64-bit architecture. Since it will be a new machine, I should be able to make sure my hardware all has 64-bit drivers.

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Because at times I have so many progams running I purchased some extra memory for my laptop. I had one meg and the price for 2 meg was not much different than 4 meg so I bought the 4 meg. I have not gotten the memory yet but reading up on it I find I may only be able to read 3 of the 4 meg unless I have a 64 bit version. I have a 32 bit version. In some of my Google searches I find you can upgrade but I can't find a website to do this?

Am I wasting my time trying to do this and looking for trouble. I am sure if I read the 3 meg it will be plenty and may not be worth the hassles.

Any opinions would be appreciated.

Is it a AMD or Intel machine?

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
Is it a AMD or Intel machine?

BD, it is an Intel. I have the memory in and running and I am only reading the 3.5 Gig of 4 Gig as expected.

I did a bunch of searching on the 64bit systems and I think for right now I am going to stick with what I have. I have found that because a lot of programs are designed around 32 and they won't work on the 64 bit. I have a program that I use just about 24 hours a day monitoring equipment in 4 states and that program is not stable on 64 bit. I don't want to take any chances. I went from 1 gig (DaveNay did ya notice I am saying gig?) to 3.5 and am seeing a big difference in performance.

murph

Deadly Sushi

The One, The Only, Sushi
SUPER Site Supporter
64 bit XP is as useful as a third tit. The ONLY people who buy it are those that have specific applications that run on it.
Dont bother. Most all of the applications out there dont run on it and generally anything more than 3 GB of RAM is useless unless you enjoy having 15 applications open at the same time.

jwstewar

Everything for my new machine came Thursday. Finally got everything put together Friday. Finally got it put in the office and on the network late last night. Wow, does this thing scream!!!!!:punk: So far I love it and the Vista 64-bit. Though, I admit I haven't done much with it, but what I have done it has done very fast. So far I've only install 4 gig of RAM, I was unsure of the motherboard configuration so that is all I orderd. Now that I know what it requires layout wise, I my order more as the price of DDR3 comes down and 4 gig chips become available.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Everything for my new machine came Thursday. Finally got everything put together Friday. Finally got it put in the office and on the network late last night. Wow, does this thing scream!!!!!:punk: So far I love it and the Vista 64-bit. Though, I admit I haven't done much with it, but what I have done it has done very fast. So far I've only install 4 gig of RAM, I was unsure of the motherboard configuration so that is all I orderd. Now that I know what it requires layout wise, I my order more as the price of DDR3 comes down and 4 gig chips become available.
With all that memory you might try running Xen or VMware so you can run a 32 bit version of windows and run a partition with Linux etc. At the very minimum be sure you set it up for dual boot, this can save you if you get a virus or have issues with the primary OS.

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter

Ah yes, there is nothing like that new machine honeymoon, fresh virgin OS install, and then like all marriages along comes that baggage to slow it all down! :shock: