• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

oil pan removal

zspryte

Site Supporter
I've got a Spryte 1201B with a 170 Ford and would like to remove the oil pan to permanently fix a few pin holes I just found in it. The oil pan has a deep sump that hangs down between the front axial and a cross member in the frame. Maybe if I could raise the engine 2 or 3 inches I could get the oil pan out, but I don't see how to do that. Anybody know if there is a way to remove the oil pan without removing the engine entirely. I did an epoxy patch on the holes and hope it lasts until I can get the pan off and brazed properly.

zspryte

Site Supporter
Removing the front axle won't do it. I removed the oil pan bolts and tried to manipulate the pan out. The oil pump and a bracket that I think holds the oil pick is mounted to the bottom of the engine. I could only move the oil pan down an inch and forward an inch or so before the back of the sump hit the bracket. At that point the oil pan is pinned in by the bottom of the engine, the frame's crossmember, and the sump hitting the pick-up bracket. There was still a little room between the oil pan and axial. I had to clean the bottom of the engine and top of the pan and install a new oil pan gasket with only about an inch and a half of room between the engine and pan. Access was very limited so it was not fun and not a good idea.

BTW: what do you need to do to remove the front axial besides remove the two big bolts and lower bracket that hold the axial in place on each side. Do you have to remove the front tires first so the spring is not under load? Can you do this with the cat on the ground without removing the tracks -just loosening them?