Forums Forums - Off Topic Forum FUN

Go Back   Forums Forums - Off Topic Forum FUN > Snow Trac ST4, Kristi, Thiokol/LMC, Tucker, Bombardier & Other Snowcat Discussions > Snowcat Restoration & Modification Projects Forum

Snowcat Restoration & Modification Projects Forum Major Restorations, Upgrades, and Non-Stock Snowcat Modifications

Old 03-29-2017, 01:49 AM
Bronze Member

wakeupcall is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 1963 Tucker 443 AMR Resto-Mod

Have been busy working on new backing plates for pontoon bearings, rebuilding tracks greasing rollers and freeing up all bushings and track hinge points also replacing all Cotter keys on links. Here are a couple pics. The pontoons have two different bearing hole patterns 6 and 5 hole. Maybe two different years? Do not see this to be an issue . Any thoughts ? Also converted from old 30 amp generator to 100 amp alternator.
Attached Images

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to wakeupcall For This Useful Post:
DAVENET (03-29-2017), jim slagle  (03-29-2017), nikos (03-29-2017), Northcoast (03-29-2017), Pontoon Princess (03-29-2017), sno-drifter (03-29-2017), Sno-Surfer (03-30-2017)
Old 03-29-2017, 02:00 AM
Bronze Member

sno-drifter is on a distinguished road

Sure looks like you are doing a first class job Kyle. It was good to meet you in McCall last month.
Old 03-29-2017, 02:26 AM
Bronze Member

Thank you Scott , I have a ways to go but one step at a time . Starting to think about painting now. It was good to put names and faces together in Mc Call.
Old 03-29-2017, 02:46 AM
Bronze Member

I have a question about my sprockets? Is there a better design than the one I currently have? I did see some thicker sprockets maybe half inch thick . Thinking about building some new ones and am definitely open to some experienced thoughts.
Attached Images

The Following User Says Thank You to wakeupcall For This Useful Post:
jim slagle  (03-29-2017)
Old 03-29-2017, 08:21 AM
Bronze Member

Thanked 1,106 Times in 505 Posts
Track Addict is on a distinguished road

Are you using half links in the track? This the issue is when and if you do you need to add the teeth in the missing spots.

I believe tucker sold those teeth to weld in long ago. Sno Drifter had s pic on here somewhere. Also useful to reverse the sprockets they didn't run to far in reverse so that side tends to have less wear.

If you can adding the teeth and connecting them at the top helps to keep the tips from
breaking and think those teeth are also hardened.

Your going to have a nice steel track when your done ! Beautiful work.
Old 03-29-2017, 10:58 AM
"pontoon piranha"

Thanked 1,793 Times in 618 Posts
Pontoon Princess is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakeupcall View Post
I have a question about my sprockets? Is there a better design than the one I currently have? I did see some thicker sprockets maybe half inch thick . Thinking about building some new ones and am definitely open to some experienced thoughts.
the 5 bolt flange is an earlier design and would be generally used with 3/4 inch rollers, the grousers for a 3/4 inch is also narrower, ( now it being tucker sno-cat, there are exceptions) and the 6 bolt flange is the later design and the pontoon they came off of would also take the larger spool, they used the 1 inch roller and a grouser that was a 1/2 inch wider that a 3/4 inch grouser,

there is a difference between the 5 bolt and 6 bolt flange spools, the 5 bolt is smaller in diameter and will fit in the well of a later ( 6 bolt flange ) pontoon but a 6 bolt flange pontoon spool will not fit into 5 bolt flange pontoon.

back to you spools, they look to be as the factory built them, and were not set up for half links, if you were to put half links in, you would need to add the cups and also remove/cut out the metal on the spool so the cup would sit down correctly, so they matched up with the existing cups in depth, yes turning them around in a good idea

as for a better design, what you have is the only style that was made for that set up, and or years that design was used, now the 500 pontoon spool did have a wider and heavier gear drive on the spool, also, on the very early tucker sno-cats, the gear drive was cast steel and set up to take half links, i have seen, what i believe to be replacement gear drives that were plate steel that is wider and much heavier with half link set up.

nice to meet you and your wife at Mccallin'...glad you folks came, fun to put a face and sno-cat together...

Last edited by Pontoon Princess; 03-29-2017 at 11:26 AM.
Old 03-29-2017, 11:21 AM
Bronze Member

Thanked 1,106 Times in 505 Posts
Track Addict is on a distinguished road

Would the pontoon widths change based on 3/4 or 1"?

Another favor to ask resident historian possibly in another thread would be to get some measurements on 3/4 vs 1" grousers, spools, and pontoons to help those of us picking over the bones left in the sno field. I also have track links of different widths that must factor into the equation.
Old 03-29-2017, 11:37 AM
"pontoon piranha"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Track Addict View Post
Would the pontoon widths change based on 3/4 or 1"?

Another favor to ask resident historian possibly in another thread would be to get some measurements on 3/4 vs 1" grousers, spools, and pontoons to help those of us picking over the bones left in the sno field. I also have track links of different widths that must factor into the equation.
pontoons seemed to be the same width, and yes the links did vary accordingly to the roller/grouser size, spool widths are the same for both... being tucker sno-cat there are exceptions
Old 03-29-2017, 01:59 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Track Addict View Post
Are you using half links in the track? This the issue is when and if you do you need to add the teeth in the missing spots.

I believe tucker sold those teeth to weld in long ago. Sno Drifter had s pic on here somewhere. Also useful to reverse the sprockets they didn't run to far in reverse so that side tends to have less wear.

If you can adding the teeth and connecting them at the top helps to keep the tips from
breaking and think those teeth are also hardened.

Your going to have a nice steel track when your done ! Beautiful work.
Track Addict, Thanks for the advice and insight. My current tracks have 31 grousers each no half links. Thought about building heavier gears for the spools and to also accommodate the half link for future adjustment capabilities. Reversing spools is great idea also. Thanks again I am learning as we go and sure do appreciate all info from this great group on forums.
Old 03-29-2017, 02:20 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pontoon Princess View Post
the 5 bolt flange is an earlier design and would be generally used with 3/4 inch rollers, the grousers for a 3/4 inch is also narrower, ( now it being tucker sno-cat, there are exceptions) and the 6 bolt flange is the later design and the pontoon they came off of would also take the larger spool, they used the 1 inch roller and a grouser that was a 1/2 inch wider that a 3/4 inch grouser,

there is a difference between the 5 bolt and 6 bolt flange spools, the 5 bolt is smaller in diameter and will fit in the well of a later ( 6 bolt flange ) pontoon but a 6 bolt flange pontoon spool will not fit into 5 bolt flange pontoon.

back to you spools, they look to be as the factory built them, and were not set up for half links, if you were to put half links in, you would need to add the cups and also remove/cut out the metal on the spool so the cup would sit down correctly, so they matched up with the existing cups in depth, yes turning them around in a good idea

as for a better design, what you have is the only style that was made for that set up, and or years that design was used, now the 500 pontoon spool did have a wider and heavier gear drive on the spool, also, on the very early tucker sno-cats, the gear drive was cast steel and set up to take half links, i have seen, what i believe to be replacement gear drives that were plate steel that is wider and much heavier with half link set up.

nice to meet you and your wife at Mccallin'...glad you folks came, fun to put a face and sno-cat together...
Pontoon Princess Thank You for all your knowledge it helps me to understand what I'm dealing with much better! Thank you for explaining the above different variations it helps a lot in fact I do have a set of smaller spools that probably came from a 3/4 inch roller track. See pic below. Those cups to add to my spools are most likely not in production at this stage of Tucker. I may try to build a new set of drive spools with heavier gears and see how that comes out.Thanks again and It was great to meet you in McCall. Kyle
Attached Images

Old 04-17-2017, 01:00 AM
Bronze Member

Just a little pontoon work. Trying to square up edges on the ends of pontoons. Then hopefully get to do some painting.
Attached Images

Old 04-17-2017, 11:09 AM
"pontoon piranha"

great work and you are moving along quite nicely, good for you, can you post a picture of the nose rails?
Old 04-17-2017, 09:55 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pontoon Princess View Post
great work and you are moving along quite nicely, good for you, can you post a picture of the nose rails?
Pontoon Princess, Here are a few pics of nose rails all of which are brand new !! Along with top and bottom rails and also new shoes made of stainless steel.
Attached Images

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to wakeupcall For This Useful Post:
nikos (04-19-2017), Pontoon Princess (04-17-2017), Sno-Surfer (04-19-2017)
Old 04-18-2017, 12:50 PM
Bronze Member

DAVENET is on a distinguished road

Old 04-18-2017, 01:34 PM
Bronze Member

topwelder44 is on a distinguished road

were the stainless parts always stainless
Old 04-18-2017, 05:46 PM
Tracked Evolution Central

MNoutdoors is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakeupcall View Post
Pontoon Princess Thank You for all your knowledge it helps me to understand what I'm dealing with much better! Thank you for explaining the above different variations it helps a lot in fact I do have a set of smaller spools that probably came from a 3/4 inch roller track. See pic below. Those cups to add to my spools are most likely not in production at this stage of Tucker. I may try to build a new set of drive spools with heavier gears and see how that comes out.Thanks again and It was great to meet you in McCall. Kyle

Unless your want it to be original I would consider the drive sprockets made from UHMW attached to steel drums
And or the the bushings in the track from the same
Old 04-18-2017, 10:45 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by topwelder44 View Post
were the stainless parts always stainless
I have heard from a really reliable source that yes at one time the pontoon shoes were made from stainless. Which to me makes good sense as there will be no rust and painting them so you can drag them on the ground or preferably snow . Should last my life and possibly the next owner. A bit spendy but i think it is worth the cost. Thanks
Old 04-18-2017, 11:32 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNoutdoors View Post
Unless your want it to be original I would consider the drive sprockets made from UHMW attached to steel drums
And or the the bushings in the track from the same
MNoutdoors, Great idea on sprockets. I am thinking at this point in rebuild that the condition of my sprockets which seem pretty good we will just move forward. The UHMW sprockets and bushings would be a lot quieter for sure. Thanks for the ideas.
Old 04-18-2017, 11:55 PM
Bronze Member

topwelder44 is on a distinguished road

stainless is soft----out of the ? plus cats ive had ---never did a steel tracked tucker---not sure what rides on the stainless-if anything does----but stainless is soft ---wear factor----ouch----just sayin----btw did they ever make the tracks out of stainless----think
Old 04-19-2017, 07:50 AM
Bronze Member

loggah is on a distinguished road

The bottoms of my 1949 tuckers pontoons were made out of stainless steel,the only thing that contacted with them was snow,or an occasional rock,or stub !!I assume it was to slide better on the snow,versus paint or mild steel.Don