• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

F350 On the Ebay

DAP

I'm was/am seriously considering putting a competetive bid on this vehicle. I noticed something in the pix though that after 2 emails to the seller, remains undisclosed and no answer from the seller yet either.

This item is now on its 2nd relisting. Buy it now was dropped 500 dollars last week. Maybe I should just call ...

THAT, combined with a shipping distance of about 2000 miles is giving me pause. I figured the fuel alone would cost about 600 USD, plus another 1200 shipping more or less .. call it 2000 dollars extra because I live in new england.

Have you discovered what I found in the pix? Undisclosed? That would cost another 3 to 500 USD I think.

Maybe there's a forum buddy on here who'll drive it up to mid-coast Maine for me? Huh, Huh? Some lobsters in it for ya maybe!:whistle:

I figure this thing will greatly enhance my personal impression of my genitalia.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4645340286&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
After all, they did say:

"Vehicle Condition

As above, please keep in mind that no used vehicle is perfect, expect some normal cosmetic and mechanical wear."

You should at least expect a completely busted windshield, right?

DAP

Dargo said:
After all, they did say:

"Vehicle Condition

As above, please keep in mind that no used vehicle is perfect, expect some normal cosmetic and mechanical wear."

You should at least expect a completely busted windshield, right?
Well, its not like the crack is right in front of the driver's nose or nuttin! Sheesh, Dargo .. it IS a used truck! :yum:

I think 23,500 would be a good price for that truck after an OEM fix of the glass (with the caveat that I find all the F350 diesels OVERPRICED). It DOES have relatively low miles, but its a manual (i'd have nothing else, but shhhhhhhh), cloth and lacks a lot of the option packs and bells and whistles.

Other than the split screen windshield, shes purty. I like the color.

OhioTC18

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
DAP said:
Other than the split screen windshield, shes purty. I like the color.

Not that I'd ever think of doing it, but I make sure I have glass damage coverage on any new/used vehicle I buy :coolshade

HGM

Well, It does look to be in good shape...... You need to ask yourself what you want it for though.... Personaly, I wouldnt have it because its a manual... There have been MANY complaints about these trucks with manual trans, not because of reliability, but because this engine is a high reving diesel(4000rpm) with less low end torque than you would expect.. If you rev it out like a gas burner, you may be satisfied with it, but........ Now, I'd also bet that this truck if for sale because they towed horses with it and were unhappy with a surge that it developed(just a guess:D ).. The long bed Crew Cab configuration is very succeptible to this, basicly its axle wrap caused by the inability to move the hitch point far enough forward to properly distribute the load to the front wheels..The manual trans makes it even worse...

Sorry to be a bummer, but I'm being honest and I think thats what you wanted... I do believe you could find a much better choice nearer to you for a better price (edit:maybe not a better price)if you looked hard enough.. BTW, I'll take a look tomorrow and see what kind of history this truck has and let you know..

Last edited:

cj7

HGM

What type of 'surge' do you mean?

Just curious since I have an 01 with an auto SRW and pulled a 32' gooseneck around 12,000lbs with nothing odd going on.

HGM

Its really just precieved as a surge.. This particular package has brought complaints of a surge, when in reality its more of a "trailer hitching" concern.. The gooseneck mounts too far back(even though its forward of the rear axle) in the chassis causing most of the tongue weight to be on the rear axle, lightening the front. Because of the load shift, when you get it moving it causes axle wrap and a "surge" feel.. Do you have the CC Long Bed? You may not notice it because of the weight you carry.. The trucks arent useless,by any means, just that they arent suited for that particular application.. The most complaints come from horse owners(seems like Texas is a hot spot) that typicaly have a heavy gooseneck and inconsistant loading of the horses weight(they can move).. Dont get me wrong guys, I like the trucks.. Its the size enhancing effect it has on the genitalia that you need to worry about:D , it the truck fits your needs, you shouldnt have a problem.. For the horse owner that tows a gooseneck, we recomend a short bed, even an R/V'r with a 5th wheel would be better suited with the short bed(or Super Cab) instead of the long wheelbase.....

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
I'm unaware of any towing issue, but since I'm sort of in the business, I'm very aware of well documented issues with the 6.0 diesel engine. You do know that it has already been pulled. That means that it will only have had an effective run of what, about 4 years? I'm not really sure why they got away from the 7.3. It had some minor irritating issues, but not the problems Ford has had with the 6.0. I think the replacement is a 6.4 or 6.6 or something like that. My only concern would be that if you intend to keep the truck for a long time is that the 6.0 liter parts could have an availability issue since they were only in production for a very short period of time (when compared to the average run of a particular engine).

cj7

Yes I do have a CC- long bed.

I can see how the the hitch point being further back could put more on the rear axle. ANd how livestock can change positons on you.
With my set up the ruck pulled great. Sat level and the trailer was level.

Dargo does make a good point about the 6.0 and parts availbilty if your going to keep it a long time.

btw I did buy mine through e-bay. Well the wife bought it..lol

we were shopping for trucks and she bid on this one thinking that a proxy bid would out bid her.. well she one.. she called me up to tell me since I did not even know she was bidding on it!

I am appy with it overall mine is a 7.3

HGM

Dargo said:
I'm unaware of any towing issue, but since I'm sort of in the business, I'm very aware of well documented issues with the 6.0 diesel engine. You do know that it has already been pulled. That means that it will only have had an effective run of what, about 4 years? I'm not really sure why they got away from the 7.3. It had some minor irritating issues, but not the problems Ford has had with the 6.0. I think the replacement is a 6.4 or 6.6 or something like that. My only concern would be that if you intend to keep the truck for a long time is that the 6.0 liter parts could have an availability issue since they were only in production for a very short period of time (when compared to the average run of a particular engine).

Good point, but, the reasoning behind the 7.3L replacement was primarily emissions related..Simply put the 7.3L could not meet 2003 emissions.. The EGR system allong with the variable turbo and 4v heads helped lessen Nox emssions.. With that said, the 6.0L was never intended to be a long term engine.. The 6.4L is just an updated version of the 6.0L, with common rail fuel injection and dual staged turbos being the biggest differences, needed to pass 2007 emissions.. I wouldnt worry about parts availability at all, the part that would worry me is finding someone capable of working on it.. The customer perception of what a diesel is capable of and a tech unsure of how to diag and repair there engines have made for a very rocky road.. So, my recomendation for a truck would be if you need a diesel buy a diesel, but with todays technology, treat it more like a gas burner and be meticulous regarding maintenance.. Then, find a GOOD technician capable of working on it if it breaks... Oh, and dont let it idle for extended periods off time(more than 5-10min).. Contrary to popular belief, diesels dont like to idle..

BTW, the 7.3L was nearly indestuctable because it was WAY overbuilt for the truck.. It was a marine application engine capable of much more than it would ever see in a truck..

Tact

HGM said:
Good point, but, the reasoning behind the 7.3L replacement was primarily emissions related..Simply put the 7.3L could not meet 2003 emissions.. The EGR system allong with the variable turbo and 4v heads helped lessen Nox emssions.. With that said, the 6.0L was never intended to be a long term engine.. The 6.4L is just an updated version of the 6.0L, with common rail fuel injection and dual staged turbos being the biggest differences, needed to pass 2007 emissions.. I wouldnt worry about parts availability at all, the part that would worry me is finding someone capable of working on it.. The customer perception of what a diesel is capable of and a tech unsure of how to diag and repair there engines have made for a very rocky road.. So, my recomendation for a truck would be if you need a diesel buy a diesel, but with todays technology, treat it more like a gas burner and be meticulous regarding maintenance.. Then, find a GOOD technician capable of working on it if it breaks... Oh, and dont let it idle for extended periods off time(more than 5-10min).. Contrary to popular belief, diesels dont like to idle..

BTW, the 7.3L was nearly indestuctable because it was WAY overbuilt for the truck.. It was a marine application engine capable of much more than it would ever see in a truck..
:thumb: I agree. I've got a '03 Ford F250 4x4 with a 7.3 and I wouldn't trade it for a newer truck with a 6.0. I've seen too many problems with that engine, although it's said that the problems were ironed out with the '05's.

JimR

Charter Member
I too have heard that the 6.0 is not very good. I know a few guys with the 7.3's and they love them. The truck is very nice looking except for the windshield. Makes you wonder why the dodo doesn't change it.

Mith

The Eccentric Englishman
SUPER Site Supporter
Have you discovered what I found in the pix?

Yea, some silly bugger gone put the steering wheel on the wrong side! :pat:

Apart from that though, nice truck!

DAP

Update: The seller outfit put a brandy new windshield in he purports. HGM, thanks for the PM ... hope to hear a response from ya.

Buying a new car is a fiscal mistake usually ... buying a used car is full of trepedations also.

:pat:

Av8r3400

Gone Flyin'
DAP said:
Buying a new car is a fiscal mistake usually ... buying a used car is full of trepedations also.

New is a mistake only if you buy a new one every 3 years (or less) which is the national average. You loose your buttocks on the depreciation. Buying a new one and keeping is for 10+ years would be a benefit.

To bad there are so many vehicles sold in the US that won't last that long. :pat:

IMO - The best used vehicle deals are buying the 2-3 year old "program" cars. Fleet maintained and still under factory warranty. 1st two years of big depreciation are someone elses problem. Good luck finding the vehicle you want, though. There are precious few HD Diesels in the rental or dealer demo fleets...

Cityboy

Banned
I've got the 6.0 in my '03 Excursion. 36,000 trouble free engine miles so far. Only issue I've had was it wouldn't start one morning. Sent it to the dealer; it had something to do with the fuel filter on the frame. Fuel pre-heater module or something. Greg (HGM) probably knows what I'm referring to.

I know the warranty manager at the dealership and she said the majority of problems related to the 6.0 engine were with the F-350 series trucks. I don't know why that would be the case with one series and not another.

HGM

Cityboy said:
I've got the 6.0 in my '03 Excursion. 36,000 trouble free engine miles so far. Only issue I've had was it wouldn't start one morning. Sent it to the dealer; it had something to do with the fuel filter on the frame. Fuel pre-heater module or something. Greg (HGM) probably knows what I'm referring to.

I know the warranty manager at the dealership and she said the majority of problems related to the 6.0 engine were with the F-350 series trucks. I don't know why that would be the case with one series and not another.

There is a Heated Fuel Conditioning Module(HFCM) on the frame. It has been known to become contaminated because most folks were never told they should drain the water from the separator.. The water and diesel combination makes for a pretty nasty buildup that will usually just cause the water in fuel light to come on. If it didnt start, I would suspect it to have been a pump(part of the HFCM).. PLEASE, keep your fuel filters changed.... Every 15k is what is recommended. Failing to do so WILL end up in failed injectors, and if the tech doesnt catch the low fuel pressure, you could be in for repeat repairs and many $$$$$(I know yours is probably under warranty, but keep it in mind:D )

I think the reason she said that was because of the shear number of diesel SD's VS Expeditions.. That and the fack that allot of SD owners will overwork and push their trucks beyond their limits "because its a diesel".. Just keep up with the maint and use a fuel additive(like Motorcraft Cetane Booster, Stanadyne, or Power Services) and you shouldnt have any trouble.. Did I say dont let it idle:D :D

Cityboy

Banned
I never miss an oil/filter or fuel filter change. If the manual says do it, its done. I drain the fuel/water seperator every oil change (5K). Never had the idiot light come on yet. One thing I like is having a drain plug on the transmission pan and the easily accessable filter. I worked on enough diesel tank engines to know the drill on maintenance. :D And I don't feel the need to idle for long periods of time to make sure people see I own a diesel. :D :thumb:

For all intents, an Excursion is just a gussied up Super Duty without the bed.

HGM

Cityboy said:
I never miss an oil/filter or fuel filter change. If the manual says do it, its done. I drain the fuel/water seperator every oil change (5K). Never had the idiot light come on yet. One thing I like is having a drain plug on the transmission pan and the easily accessable filter. I worked on enough diesel tank engines to know the drill on maintenance. :D And I don't feel the need to idle for long periods of time to make sure people see I own a diesel. :D :thumb:

For all intents, an Excursion is just a gussied up Super Duty without the bed.

:a1: :a1: Good, keep it up and it should serve you well..:thumb:

I love that truck, we had one that I used for bussiness and put about 12k mi on it.. Allot of people underestimate the value of a good SUV that can serve many purposes and still get 18-20mpg.. Now, I have this stripped down F-250 havent driven it at all in the 3mo we've had it..