• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Limited Slip Differential Chatter

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
I do most of the work myself on my pickup truck. Typical shade tree mechanic.

Last year I did not like the looks of the rear differential cover. It looked like the metal was getting too thin due to corrosion so I decided to replace it with a new one. Of course i replaced it with the specified oil, deciding to go with AmsOil synthetic. More then one person told me I did not need to use a slip lock additive so I did not use it.

Now I am getting a chatter from the rear end when I make sharp right or left hand turns. Obviously the clutches are slipping or chattering so next nice day I am going to have to get 4 oz of fluid out of the diff and add the slip lock additive then go do a bunch of figure 8's and hopefully stop this issue.

Moral of the story, put the additive in from day one. Extra lube cannot hurt.

OhioTC18

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
I ran into the same thing with my F150. A chatter coming from the rear end on right turns. Took it to the dealer who sold me new clutch pack for the right side. I found out later on, that all it needed was the slip lock additive. I heard that Ford knows about it and even sells the additive, but they still got me for the clutch pack.

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
In the 60's and 70s you really needed to use GM's whale oil additive to 12 bolt posi's in muscle cars.

So this isn't a new thing.

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
Never claimed it was a new thing. Just claiming I should have added the Slip Lok first time around and like a moron I did not. So now I must crawl under the truck and do it again. :whistling:

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
What does this stuff cost these days?
If I remember right, the gm whale oil was about 25 bucks in about 1973.
That was allot of coin for an 18 year old.

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
In the 60's and 70s you really needed to use GM's whale oil additive to 12 bolt posi's in muscle cars.

So this isn't a new thing.

They had a thin steel tag on one of the cover bolts that says "limited slip lube only" on it.

My 1972 Pontiac T/A still has it intact. :smile:

Regards, Kirk

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
What does this stuff cost these days?
If I remember right, the gm whale oil was about 25 bucks in about 1973.
That was allot of coin for an 18 year old.

10 bucks for the 4oz bottle of Amsoil Slip Lock. That comes out to $320.00 Gallon. :yum:

They had a thin steel tag on one of the cover bolts that says "limited slip lube only" on it.

My 1972 Pontiac T/A still has it intact. :smile:

Regards, Kirk

Yup, my FX/4 has that tag as well. What gets me is why people thought that using synthetic gear oil does not require an additive. Maybe it works for some. Not me. :unsure:

zekeusa

Bronze Member
SUPER Site Supporter
I have been told that synthetic oil is to slippery. Those clutches need something to bite into. I use regular dinosaur oil GL5 with a LSD additive.