• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

RaidTrac 718

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
Hi all, I bought this machine last year running but in need of drive sprockets.It has an 18 hp air cooled 4 stroke electric start engine. 2 speed gear box with reverse and a Salisbury clutch system. 1st gear 8mph and 2nd gear 18mph around a 1000# payload and 1500# towing. They seem to be a well built all terrain vehicle I'm told was and still is used in the Canadian oil fields. You can still buy parts and they will even build you a new one if desired. I have enough replacement parts to keep it going for ever. I plan to keep it at the cabin in a container to play with up there also for emergency if something won't start or whatever. So far I have cleaned , painted and greased the under carriage parts. Polished the tub and painted the inside with bed liner. Now its time for re assembly. This is a project I work on between other projects like the work cabin. The tracks are 96" long and 17-1/2" wide X2 = 3360 sq. inches and the machine weighs 1500# that works out to .44 PSI dry. thats pretty good considering my Tucker is .68PSI the previous owner said he never had it in snow he mainly ran it off road in the desert and the Rubicon trail here in Ca. Now it will be a mountain cat not a desert rat. The tracks are in good shape as well as the grousers. I will post as I go. Marty

Attachments

• IMG_0516.jpg
    IMG_0516.jpg
    216.1 KB · Views: 444
  • IMG_0522.jpg
    IMG_0522.jpg
    150 KB · Views: 428
  • IMG_0526.jpg
    IMG_0526.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 469
  • IMG_0524.jpg
    IMG_0524.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 404
  • IMG_0525.jpg
    IMG_0525.jpg
    152.7 KB · Views: 444

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
So today I put the new drive sprockets on the drive hubs. ( not fun ) they are about 1/16" small all the way around and have to be worked on. It reminded me of when I was a kid on the farm changing tires on and off rims with a bumper jack, a piece of flat bar and a hammer. they took about an hour each to slowly work them on the hubs. Also they are an inch wider than the old ones so I will have to get longer bolts. Marty

Attachments

• IMG_0531.jpg
    IMG_0531.jpg
    181.7 KB · Views: 324
  • IMG_0532.jpg
    IMG_0532.jpg
    165.8 KB · Views: 408
  • IMG_0533.jpg
    IMG_0533.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 289
  • IMG_0534.jpg
    IMG_0534.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 322

mrgbigg

hey m1west, I also have a raid trac. she needs a new engine and im thinking about revamping the power unit with a hydrostatic drive. are tracks are different. il post some pics but I like yours a lot more, mine have plastic dogs that make with a aluminium sprocket and halve of them are busted.

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
hey m1west, I also have a raid trac. she needs a new engine and im thinking about revamping the power unit with a hydrostatic drive. are tracks are different. il post some pics but I like yours a lot more, mine have plastic dogs that make with a aluminium sprocket and halve of them are busted.
Thanks, its a project I work on in between projects. I am in the middle of re powering a COOT right now. I'm getting caught up and will get back on the raidtrac after Christmas. as for hydrostatic I just ripped an arrangement like that out of the COOT. The problem is there is not enough variation of speed and torque. It would kind of work but wouldn't climb steep hills or go over walking speed. The 2 speed transmission with the Salisbury clutch works much better.

Braun

Hello

I also have a raid trac. I picked it up and it had been sitting for years maybe 10 - 20. Guy had it storage covered up. I got it running by changing up the starter and refreshing the fuel system. It has the 18 hp Tecumseh engine. Has a strong push blade, winch and light bar with original lights.
Now I have it sitting in storage. I’m thinking of selling it but not sure what to ask.
I was hoping to buy a Trapline here in northern Alberta Canada but now we may head back home to Manitoba. I have an acreage there I could use to push snow and for moose hunting but I want to see what I could get for it.
i suppose I’ll get what someone’s willing to pay but what were they priced at new?

this unit needs nothing. I may polish the tub and refresh the cowling with fresh paint and new led lights but it needs nothing. Even the track and wheels are great shape.
I sent Mark Fhyn an email. His shop is still open and he is the guy that built them in Calgary. No response yet.

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
Mine is coming along slowly, I work on it in between more important projects. Likely another year will pass before I get it going again. When I bought parts. They are still in business, the owner told me a running machine in good condition would bring around $5000,00