• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

The perfect snowcat ???

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
If you could take a little from all the things you like about different snowcats ,How would it be built ?

I would want a easy steering system my wife could use ,like SnowTrac
Tilt cab like a kristi
8'maximum width
about 3000 pounds max
Trailerable behind a SUV or 1/2 ton pickup
diesel power
hydro drive
very low PSI ground pressure
GPS/radio's
tinted windows
extreme lighting system
all terrain tracks
seating for 5 or 6 full size adults
top speed of 30 MPH

So what did I miss?:confused2:

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Just out of curiousity, why Hydro drive?

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
B_Skurka said:
Just out of curiousity, why Hydro drive?

It would give the designer more build options and a lot less moving parts to contend with.Motor and pumps could be placed anywhere.Balance could be made perfect.

mtntopper

Back On Track
SUPER Site Supporter
BigAl said:
If you could take a little from all the things you like about different snowcats ,How would it be built ?

I would want a easy steering system ------------VMC RT-01 Specs
my wife could use ,like SnowTrac Yes,-----------Hydro Lever Controls
Tilt cab like a kristi Yes,- -----------------------Tilt Cab & Box
8'maximum width--------------------------------8'4''
about 3000 pounds max-------------------------5,400lbs
Trailerable behind a SUV or 1/2 ton pickup--------3/4 ton and Up
diesel power------------------------------------VW Turbo
hydro drive-------------------------------------Yes
very low PSI ground pressure Yes,---------------.65PSI
GPS/radio's-------------------------------------Add On As Required
tinted windows----------------------------------Yes
extreme lighting system--------------------------Add On As Required
all terrain tracks---------------------------------Yes Steel Cleats
So what did I miss?:confused2:
The capacity and ability to use a 6 way blade for cutting side hill trails.
Should have a minimum ground clearance of 12''.
Large windows for all around visibility.
Front and rear receiver hitch sockets.
Large fuel tank for extended trips.
Side hill track cleats for side hill stability.
Repair parts availability.
ROPS system for when the side hill is too steep........

Pic Of Your Dream Machine:yum: Close huh??????
VMC RT01 Diesel Small.JPG

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
mtntopper said:
Pic Of Your Dream Machine:yum: Close huh??????

Is that a factory roll cage? That is not a "just in case" roll cage, it is a "it's going to happen sooner or later" roll cage. :cool2:

mtntopper

Back On Track
SUPER Site Supporter
DaveNay said:
Is that a factory roll cage? That is not a "just in case" roll cage, it is a "it's going to happen sooner or later" roll cage. :cool2:

It is a factory ROPS for the 1997 VMC. The biggest problem with it is, to tilt the cab forward you must first remove bolts holding the ROPS before tilting the cab for under cab maintenance. :confused: :mad: :confused2: As for sooner or later,
As Aksnocat said, my terror threshold is lower than its tilt threshold.
:eek:

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Bill,
Does the roll bar really help that much ? It seems like it would just sink in the snow .Or do you only use it in the shop ??:yum: :yum:

mkntrakes

so mtntopper if the snow dosen,t get any deeper than in you picture you should be happy with your lawn mower, so are you ready to sell your 1200 ? or are you going to keep it to pull your vmc out when it get stuck

mtntopper

Back On Track
SUPER Site Supporter
mkntrakes said:
so mtntopper if the snow dosen,t get any deeper than in you picture you should be happy with your lawn mower, so are you ready to sell your 1200 ? or are you going to keep it to pull your vmc out when it get stuck

Actually, the grass is still green under what little snow we have. It appears I can accomplish two jobs at once.....:yum: I am going to use the TracMaster as the backup to the VMC when the diesel does not start. :rolleyes: The old 1200 LMC is just grazing and napping in the woods pasture awaiting its calling.....;) I think what little snow we have the VMC will do good if it does not get high centered on the tall grass.....:eek:

I actually spent a little time today on maintenance on the 1200 LMC. It is ready to go if the grass gets too tall.....:thumb:

mtntopper

Back On Track
SUPER Site Supporter
BigAl said:
Bill,
Does the roll bar really help that much ? It seems like it would just sink in the snow .Or do you only use it in the shop ??:yum: :yum:

BigAl, that is actually a rack to carry the broken down Kristi snow cats out of the woods. That ole KT7 will look like a dead animal on parade riding on the ROPS of the VMC.....:yum: Just call me Mr. mow and go guy.....:eek:

mtntopper

Back On Track
SUPER Site Supporter
The VMC looks like the wide track version, is it? Was the snow wet and heavy? Did any other snow cats handle the same conditons any better? What models and brands? I know the underneath clearance, tire size and total height of the track to ground can make a diffference in deep snow conditons.

As to Dubois, we are probably about a 3 hour drive or 210 miles from Dubois. Do you have family there? Lots of winter sports activities in that area. Great snow at Togowtee Pass area. I will be in Colorado near Vail in the future as my daughter is located in Carbondale. I believe you are also in Colorado. Can you give me a location so I don't drive by and go "oh chit" later. We will have to try to get together drink a beer or two and tell more lies and tall tales.
Bill

My Location:

My location.jpg

mkntrakes

the vmc does have wide tracks it also has a cummins 4bt in it i had my 1200 there it sank in the snow about half way up the wheels it was the day after we got five feet of powder didn,t want to jump in so never got out of cat to get a picture of 1200

let me know when your comming to colo are you brinng your cat if so we will plan a outing if not maybe we can take you out for a ride Snow 016.jpg