• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

What kind of effort/dollars required to restore this machine?

kgracey

Hey guys,

Been lurking for quite some time and reading everything. I live in the Lake Tahoe area and I haven't bought my first snowcat yet. Where I live is the ideal place to own one - almost six months of snow coverage per year and I back up to the USFS land.

So, been checking this Thiokol out lately:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Thio...oryZ6736QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

What's your guess on the hours and dollars required to bring this machine close to a total restoration? Think it's even possible?

Thanks,

Ken

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Hey Ken !!!
Welcome to FF . I live in Grass valley among other places . I worked in Truckee for many years .
Question ??? How much talent do you have ??? Can you rebuilt it if needed ?? Tracks can easily run a couple thousand . It is not out of line to invest $10,000 in new parts and motor . I have a lot more than that in repairs to my Kristi KT7 ,though I have kinda gone over the top on restoring her . Be realistic on your abilities . It will always cost more than your first estimate . Good Luck and post often . And holler if I can help .
Al

kgracey

Hey neighbor Al!

I've been looking at these machines for about three years now and I haven't bought my first one. I think I'm just about ready. Problem is, I'm not seeing much in the way of selection. My ideal machine would be a 2-3 seater with a blade (maybe a Spryte or Bombardier 252). I see perhaps one or two machines a year that I'd be willing to buy - not much selection! My budget would be about $10-15K. Would really like to find more private parties who could sell a machine, but they're hard to find when you're not "in the know".

But to answer your question, I can do the work. I have CNC lathes, mill and welding skills. Remember, we build chairlifts around here. If I don't have a tool, a neighbor will!

But that doesn't mean I have the time. I really don't. I'm a bit interested in the work, though, as I find it very rewarding.

Where can I find better pictures of your Kristi?

I'm in Alpine Meadows, BTW.

- Ken

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Ahh!!! The west side side of Tahoe . I lived not far from there in 86 . Look at the KT7 restoration pictures for a better look at my old Yetti . She has been in rebuild for about 9 months now . I also have a KT4 . What about a Bombi ??? They look like a good machine . Ask Mtntopper for his advice . He is pretty sharp .
Aa

nutsster

I saw this cat on ebay for a few days now too. To be honest, I wouldn't touch it for anything. It would take more time and money then it would be worth when completed! The Thiokol A model has the Clark 4 rearend. That rearend on a Spryte is weak and less desireable then an OC-12. Turning is more difficult and less responsive. It works much better in an IMP, which is a much lighter machine. :confused2:
You can find a much better and complete snow cat for just a little more money and have much more to work with in the long run. I just completed a complete restoration of a DMC 1200. It is a lot of work if you want to do it right. I spent six months on the DMC and it didn't need any major work. I customized my IMP 1402 from the ground up too. Three years of modifications and changes to nearly everything. It can be real rewarding to turn something from near junk to real nice. However, I would find an operational cat, unless you love to dive in to a basket case. :thumb:

nutsster

Talk to Kier in Lake Tahoe @ 530 412-4123. He deals in snow cats in your area and could steer you in the right direction.
Bill Gutherie, in Weiser, ID is very good to deal with too. His web site is www.snotrans.com. He also has several fixer-up cats available not listed on his site.
Good luck!:thumb:

mtncrawler

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Kgracey, I've been kicking around the idea of selling this one but really haven't made up my mind yet. Done alot of work to it but it still needs to be completed. I have all the parts including belts. If you're interested I'll have to think about what I'd want for it cause I'm probably upside down in it already.

Attachments

• 100_0066.jpgtc1.jpg
    100_0066.jpgtc1.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 408
  • 100_0064.jpgtc2.jpg
    100_0064.jpgtc2.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 402

mtntopper

Back On Track
SUPER Site Supporter
kgracey,
The cat on Ebay scares me. It appears someone got the most of the life already out of it and now wants to send it down the road.

My suggestion would be to find someone such as mtncrawler, nutsster or Bill at Snotrans that is interested in parting with a snow cat that is a known quantity.

The fixer uppers are very costly to complete. If you can find one that is a later model or has been partially completed, I think you would be much better off. Tracks on a Spryte will cost at least about 2K+ for belting and another 1K for miscellaneous hardware and many hour of back breaking labor. If you need to replace all the steel J grousers on a typical cat 2 track you can figure about $50.00 times about 120, ouch.......that really hurts.......with new grade 8 hardware also needed and many hours with the torch to take it apart......:eek:

Now if an engine, transmission or rear end work is required you will have 10K on top of your initial investment very fast and still need all of the little things like paint and interior work. Hell, I am already tired thinking about this......:pat:

But again many of us started out this way and the completion of a snow cat is a very unique, rewarding and costly experience.

Bill

Eric L

Site Supporter
Welcome Ken, I'm over in El Dorado County, almost neighbors...

I looked at that Thiokol too, and it looks like a challenge to restore. Sometimes the ones with shiny paint photograph better than they really are, and the ugly ones may look better in real life. seems like anything that runs goes at least 5K on ebay.

I wouldn't mind having it for a project, but I too think the price is high. Dealing with a local seller who may not know the market, and just wants an old rig outta the yard can find a buyer in a good position... keep looking behind barns, or drop 15K. I wish I had 20K to spend on a cat right now, but it aint happening, so I just play with what I can afford.

Just depends what you want to have when your done. I think that cat could be made pretty darn reliable for 10K in parts.:myopinion:

my rule of thumb: take your original estimate and double it.

Eric

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Hey Ken ,
There is a guy over in your area called Sierra Snowcats that rebuilds older snowcats .He was on the west side of the Sierra's . That may be a good place to start . I almost bought a 601 from him . He had about 10 different units last year . I'll try to find a number for him .