• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Cool Outdoor Gear Storage Box

kgracey

Hey,

Couldn't really find the right forum for this, because it's only "related" to snowcats.

When I do my winter logging project I wanted to be able to access my saws and related gear on the mountain, rather than haul them from the house each time.

Today was a major "score" in my book. I found this cool ex-military guided bomb gear box at Twin Cities Surplus in Reno! For only $69 you get a big (almost 4') long box that can hold loads of stuff!! And it's sealed with a gasket so it'll stay completely dry. In the winter I'll be able to load it with saws, cables, gas, oil, etc and get to it all in a snap! Something so simple, but so useful, at such a great price.

Those ex-military survival gear shops have lots of other useful tools for winter snowcat use. They had cables, chain, a huge Carhart selection, lots of neat boxes, etc.

Just something I thought would be worth sharing, or at least spur some related discussion about managing our stuff in an outdoor environment.

- Ken

Attachments

• New Box.jpg
    New Box.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 148

kgracey

Check out the words on the box. This should give my neighbors some concern as they make their way to the backcountry.

Attachments

• New Box Up Close.jpg
    New Box Up Close.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 148

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
Great Surplus store. I go there everytime I go into Reno to stock up. You need to check out there yard behind the store and across there side street (next t parking lot) They have tons of cool stuff just waiting to be brought home.

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
When I do my winter logging project I wanted to be able to access my saws and related gear on the mountain, rather than haul them from the house each time.

Knowing my luck, I'd leave the box full of tools up in the mountains, and then a 60" snow fall would cover them until spring. :pat:

kgracey

Looks like Twin City Surplus is now out of these boxes. There was one left and it was smashed in sideways. Just a few weeks ago they had 50+ units. What's funny is that it appears those guys kept marking the price up once they started selling well.

As for stopping the bad guy from taking it, the giant cable wrapped around the tree will slow him down. And if that's not enough he has to drag it by the front of my home.

Ken

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
What's funny is that it appears those guys kept marking the price up once they started selling well.

LMAO....sounds like a good business decision. That darn law of supply and demand rearing it's head.

kgracey

This post deserves a follow-up!

Today a USDA Forest Service Law Enforcement ranger showed up at my property. A hiker reported a "big box that may contain a bomb". I laughed almost immediately when the ranger told me why she was here.

We hiked up to the "bomb box" and inspected it. She thought it was way cool. We were both ashamed that it's unfortunate she has to deal with such silly reports in the new post-9/11 world. She'd have bought herself one in they were not sold out at Twin City Surplus.

She suggested a note on the side "this is not a bomb".

Anyway, I know Bogie will say "we want pictures" but I didn't have my camera at the time to get a photo with the ranger.

- Ken

Bobcat

Je Suis Charlie Hebdo
GOLD Site Supporter
Don't tell the terrorist about that. If they only knew that all they had to do to disguise their bombs was to put a "This is not a bomb" sticker.... :yum:

While it is usually good to be proactive, I'm really tired of all this fear and paranoia crap.

Last edited:

srexecmark

I called the surplus store and they have the boxes in again. I asked about shipping two of them to the Seattle area and the shipping was $169 each! It is not worth that. I would love two of them if anyone is headed up here, but otherwise I have to pass these cool boxes up.

Mark

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
I may actually be headed to the WA Seattle area soon. If so I will swing through Reno and pick two out for you.

Which way do you come up? Let me know if you're coming through Portland, OR. I might get you to get one and help you pay for gas and feed you a meal!

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
Don't go out of your way. Just let me know which way you think you will go and I'll decide if I can meet you. It's not a priority for me.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Can you grab one for me and swing by the Pittsburgh PA area on your way to Washington? :thumb: :rolleyes:

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Hey, Mikey grab one for me too and fill it half full of ice then beer grab those two " Friends " and drop off on your way to PA.:yum: :yum: :5boobs: