• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Very Nice Tucker Snow Cat with Perkins Diesel On Ebay

mtntopper

Back On Track
SUPER Site Supporter
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TUCKER-4-5-PASSENGER-SNOWCAT-SNOW-CAT-SNOWMOBILE-ATV_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ6736QQihZ008QQitemZ180030274267QQrdZ1

21_12.jpg

44_12.jpg

99_12.jpg

RARE TUCKER 4 OR 5 PASSENGER 1544 TUCKER. TOTALLY REBUILT 2 SEASONS AGO WITH REBUILT PERKINS 4 CYLINDER DIESEL ENGINE, NEW TRACK BELTS AND MUCH MUCH MORE INCLUDING NEW PAINT, CARPET AND UPHOLSTERY. MACHINE IS IN "9+" CONDITION AND IS DEFINATELY THE NICEST TUCKER WE HAVE EVER HAD OF ITS TYPE (WE HAVE HAD OVER 200 IN PAST 20 YEARS). JUST HAD COMPLETE SERVICE PERFORMED INCLUDING FUEL AND BRAKE SYSTEMS. THIS MACHINE NEEDS ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO GO INTO IMMEDIATE SERVICE SAFELY HAULING YOUR FAMILY OVER DEEP SNOW!!!

tom

GOLD Site Supporter
I used to own this Cat and I agree with your assessment. It truly needs nothing mechanical. I am not shilling for the guy selling it just letting anyone know who is interested that it is a good one.

mtntopper

Back On Track
SUPER Site Supporter
Tom,
Why do you not own this Tucker snow cat anymore? Did you do the rebuild and if so let us know more info on the rebuild. How does the Perkins Diesel work in this machine? I was a little concerned if it was a low rpm diesel that the top speed would also be lower. Did you re-gear the cat? Is it just on consignment with Art? What will it take to buy it? If you have an idea of a price let us know.

Bill:letitsnow:

tom

GOLD Site Supporter
I sold it because I was not using it as much as I had anticipated. Also I have a jones for an old steel track(542-543 series). I did not do the rebuild. The guy I bot it from did 95% of the work. I did replace all bogey wheel bearings,added a rear windshield wiper,extra lights and an emergency brake as well as a couple of new drive sprockets and ice-breaker rings. The engine starts and runs great. Probably less than 100 hours on it. I also had the diesel mechanic connect the thermal-start plugs correctly and had the ether injection system made serviceable for those extra cold mornings. It was not fast. At most 10-12 mph on packed surface but rarely needed to go lower than 3rd gear in the most steep and deep conditions. The thing just pulled and pulled. I ran it at mostly 10,000ft and the engine never smoked black. Never had to recalibrate the fuel injector pump even though the machine was run mostly at 6500-8000 before I got it. I do not know what he is asking for it. It was sold outright and I promised I would not divulge the price. I did not re-gear or anything. It is as stock when it was built for the Alaska Power Authority. The differentials are 4.88 to 1.The guy rebuilt almost everything. He had it re-skinned and all interior re-done. New tracks and paint as well. There is a former tucker mechanic that lives by me and we added one more grouser per track to get it back to original specs of 27 grousers per track. They had gone to the new way of only using 26 per track when they re-tracked it and it was a little too tight with no adjustment left. Tracks have less than 1oo hrs. on them.

Last edited:

kewx

I was unaware that Perkins diesels were used in Tuckers. When did they do this?
Just checking. kw

tom

GOLD Site Supporter
I think that this was a special order for the Alaska Power Authority. The original build sheet shows the engine as O.E. M.