• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

GENERAC 1" Water Pump / kit

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Every now and again I need a small volume water pump for use on the property. I had a small pump, not sure the brand, probably owned it for a dozen years. Had not used it in the past 3 seasons but needed it this weekend. Pulled it out, the piston was seized tight. It had a small (maybe 1/2hp?) Kawasaki engine. 1" connectors. And a 3/4" hose adapter.

So I started looking for a replacement at the local stores:

Home Depot ... nothing in stock at the 3 closest locations
Lowes ... nothing in stock in stock at the 2 closest locations
Menards ... small Generac unit in stock at the closest store near my home
Harbor Freight ... had a generic model that looked just like the one I tossed in the trash but no way of knowing if it was actually in stock at the local store.

Decided to buy the Generac at Menards. Slightly bigger than the old unit. Literally an inch or two bigger but still a tiny gas powered pump.

Used it yesterday to pump about 100# of sand out of the bottom of my swimming pool.

Primed the pump with water. Added oil to the engine. Added premium gas. Primed the engine. Set the choke. Started on the first 1/2 of a pull. Runs pretty quiet too, quieter than I expected.

A few observations:
The big pump prime port makes it much easier to prime.

The suction hose is 1" and it needed to have the ends clamped on with auto hose clamps. The included clamps were cheap and only 1 of them actually was big enough to fit onto the hose so I could not install one of the ends :doh: (fortunately I had 2 other 1" suction hoses, each 10' long). The box claims the pump comes with 10' of suction hose, and while I did not measure the hose, I'd guess the hose was closer to 8' long than the claimed 10' ... ended up not using it since I had the other hose anyway.

I connected 20' of suction hose to the pump, about 10' of that was under water and the closest 10' was filled with air. Even with 10' of air in the hose the pump pulled the water up out of the pool quickly. When I accidentally sucked in some air as I moved the hose it regained suction very quickly.
Pretty impressed with this new pump. If you need a small pump and are not in the market for a trash pump this might suit your needs.

Specs are here => https://www.menards.com/main/plumbi...-water-pump-with-full-kit/p-1444431298030.htm Menards claims its 2 hp. But I'm pretty sure its more likely 1/2 hp.

Attachments

• CW10K_1.jpg
    CW10K_1.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 41
  • CW10K_4.jpg
    CW10K_4.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 41
  • CW10K_5.jpg
    CW10K_5.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 41

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
Another timely post Melensdad. It just so happens that I am looking for a small water pump in that size range. It's not because I "need" one but it's been one of my "would likes" for a while. I occasionally have a need to pump water out of the pool when the overflow clogs and the water is too darned cold to be sticking your hands in it. It would also be useful for filling the water barrel from the lake if I ever need to do that during a power outage.

I had found two, small, Honda engined ones at Northern Tool. They were probably much better than my very occasional need requires. I'll have to look for the Generac one and see if I can find it close. I'll probably have to get it on the internet.

OhioTC18

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Our local Lowes only shows the 1.5" but they have to order it. The local Home Depot sells the 1" but again, has to be ordered. Local Menards has 3 of the 1" in stock for $219.99. They list it at 2HP also. Looks to be a pain to fuel it with the handle directly above the fuel filler cap.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
.... Looks to be a pain to fuel it with the handle directly above the fuel filler cap.

Nope. The photo angle is misleading. It was no problem to fuel it. There was plenty of access.

k-dog

I have the 1.5" generac pump and love it. I ordered fittings with the camlocks and it works great. I like the big prime fill section as well plus the drain plug at the bottom of the prime tank. It has always started on the 1st or 2nd pull except for the time I forgot to turn the switch on.