• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Do you use/ believe in battery maintainers

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
With over 100 batteries, it seems like a constant job on batteries and carburetors. Does it really pay to use battery maintainers? I use some, but all the cords are a PITA. not to mention, if one ever fails could it start a fire?

I won’t even get into the problems with that many carbs, I now keep rebuilt carburetors on hand because it seems that when you really want it work. It doesn’t ........also started putting fuel shut offs inline before carbs to run dry.

Diesels are better, fuel lasts longer in the Midwest, but not in the hot climates
Last year I had to rebuild my injector pump on my diesel tractor, from sitting in over 100 degree temps all summer. Fuel had become just sticky enough to cause the plungers in the pump to not return to the out stroke. Tore it all down, ultrasonic cleaned it reassembled and it worked perfectly. 3 cylinder CAV DPA Pump

Last edited:

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
I thought I had it bad with 5 vehicles and two tractors. The battery maintainers seem to work and so does the fuel cutoff switches but I agree - it's a hassle and easy to forget to do when tired at the end of a long day.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
Let's see now, 3 vehicles, motor home, 2 tractors, front mount mower and a Gator keeps me busy. Batteries are the bane of my existence and yes, I do use battery maintainers on the tractors, pick-up and mower. Those aren't used every day and sometimes need a strong battery to turn over and fire up. The motor home has enough battery power to start a 747. I probably run about 8 of them on the equipment, generators and spares. I like them.

I've actually found the opposite of you regarding diesel. I live down in Texas and the heat doesn't seem to affect the diesel at all. I've used 5-year old diesel without any problems. Gas now, is a different story. Cold weather, like we had last night, does affect the diesel but we may be talking about 2 different diesels, winter as opposed to summer. Down here it is summer diesel all year long.

Fuel shut-offs, especially on small engines, should be mandatory. Since I installed them (and used them) I haven't had any problems with carbs varnishing up. I've only ever had one problem with a diesel pump and that was a transfer pump. All it took was a 1" dowel and a hammer to break the impeller free and it's run like a champ ever since.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I have about 15-20 batteries to keep up. My general rule is to install a charger/maintainer to any battery that has sit for 2 weeks or more. Bring it up to full charge then keep the charger there until I need it elsewhere. I think I have about 5 of the little tenders (<1 amp) then the big chargers.

I also keep 5 of these type of starter packs around (normally sitting in the cars). Highly recommended!!! Heck, had to use one last night on a friends disabled car as the battery died from using flashers for too long.
https://www.amazon.com/DBPOWER-Jump-Starter-Red/dp/B077HY7SFJ/

My diesel is probably 10 years old and I don't have any problems with it. I added PowerService and keep it in a climate controlled area that's below 70°.

Don't get me started on gummed up carbs. I now regularly use SeaFoam for maintaining the gas and "Mechanic in a bottle" for those that are in really bad shape.

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Frank,

On the diesel, I think it was the microbes and or algae,I left the tractor in direct sun. and I have measured it on blacktop to be 165 degrees before, and I had no additive in the diesel. Now under roof with additive..... time will tell.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
I thought I had it bad with 6 batteries to maintain over the winter. I take them out and put them in the heated house garage then charge them up once a month.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I have a 4 port "Battery Tender" brand battery maintainer mounted to the ceiling. Using extension cables I have it connected to a UTV, 2 motorcycles and a scooter. There are LED lights that show status of each.

I'm considering adding another so I can keep the lawn tractor, the diesel tractor and my Jeepster all connected easily.

I appreciate the wires dropping down from above and the unit only taking up 1 wall outlet versus having individual battery tenders connected to individual machine's batteries and having the wires snaking across the shop floor.

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
I have a 4 port "Battery Tender" brand battery maintainer mounted to the ceiling. Using extension cables I have it connected to a UTV, 2 motorcycles and a scooter. There are LED lights that show status of each.

I'm considering adding another so I can keep the lawn tractor, the diesel tractor and my Jeepster all connected easily.

I appreciate the wires dropping down from above and the unit only taking up 1 wall outlet versus having individual battery tenders connected to individual machine's batteries and having the wires snaking across the shop floor.

I like that idea ............ what brand ? Model ?

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
With over 100 batteries, it seems like a constant job on batteries and carburetors. Does it really pay to use battery maintainers? I use some, but all the cords are a PITA. not to mention, if one ever fails could it start a fire?

I won’t even get into the problems with that many carbs, I now keep rebuilt carburetors on hand because it seems that when you really want it work. It doesn’t ........also started putting fuel shut offs inline before carbs to run dry.

Diesels are better, fuel lasts longer in the Midwest, but not in the hot climates
Last year I had to rebuild my injector pump on my diesel tractor, from sitting in over 100 degree temps all summer. Fuel had become just sticky enough to cause the plungers in the pump to not return to the out stroke. Tore it all down, ultrasonic cleaned it reassembled and it worked perfectly. 3 cylinder CAV DPA Pump
my 2019 Yamaha Viking side x side came with a plug in already wired in to the battery for one.
I removed it.
I never had the need for one. so my answer is no.
jim

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I like that idea ............ what brand ? Model ?

Brand: Battery Tender

Model: I own a few different models, the one I mounted to the ceiling is a 4 bank model.

4 Bank model I own: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Battery-...=sem&msclkid=a60be99ed6701e930098b45284bf748f

They have others. BTW it pays to shop around as the prices vary wildly at retail.

This is a 10 bank model that keeps 10 units charged: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Battery-...0000008404&wl14=battery tender 4 bank&veh=sem

Bamby

+1 on battery tender I have two of them and am convinced they work. I have a couple expensive agm batteries for my boat that are nearly 10 years old that are still going strong, and I'm giving them the credit.

PJL

The snowcat has the battery tender. It's plugged in year round. All of our other response vehicles have on board chargers as well. When we need them they have to work right now.

Cidertom

Chionophile
GOLD Site Supporter
Have, use, and believe in battery tenders. I prefer the ones that sense voltage and cycle rather than the constant ON type.

On Diesel, one of the factors now is how much Bio component. Bio works good, and some of the reports say the soap component replaces the sulfur that used to lubricate. However in standby use where it may not be turned over that much, it seems to degrade over a couple of years. Finding that gensets with 2 year old 15-20% bio may not pass load tests. Pump out, refuel with fresh and they pass no problem. With units that go through fuel it isn't a problem but some of the standby I service may not use enough fuel to keep it at full potency. My old "just top it off " on yearly fueling is coming to an end and am now dealing with secondary fuel. And the corresponding headache.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
Frank,

On the diesel, I think it was the microbes and or algae,I left the tractor in direct sun. and I have measured it on blacktop to be 165 degrees before, and I had no additive in the diesel. Now under roof with additive..... time will tell.

I've only had that happen once. It was on one of the farm tractors that sat for over 3 years with a 1/4 tank of fuel after my F-I-L died. I don't know how the water got in there. It must have been condensation from our East Texas humidity. What a freekin' mess. Never again. If one is to be stored for any length of time, the tank gets filled and additives get poured in.

Bob, I like that idea of the overhead battery tender. I'm not proud. I'm going to steal that one. :bolt:

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
How are battery tenders in the cold winter months? I've never used one but am intrigued by the idea of not having to remove the batteries from all my summer toys every fall.

1boringguy

GOLD Site Supporter
Use on bikes and quads stored inside, temp about 50f, and have pretty good luck with those lasting many years. Another 10 or so on various things outside without charge, not so good. Have been going to rig up a solar maintainer, need small solar panel and charge controller, and then just move it every week. Moving them still a bit of a pain, but idk if a person wants to buy a hundred of them though. Could probably connect a number of them to a 100 watts portable panel but each battery still need a charge controller?

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Use on bikes and quads stored inside, temp about 50f, and have pretty good luck with those lasting many years. Another 10 or so on various things outside without charge, not so good. Have been going to rig up a solar maintainer, need small solar panel and charge controller, and then just move it every week. Moving them still a bit of a pain, but idk if a person wants to buy a hundred of them though. Could probably connect a number of them to a 100 watts portable panel but each battery still need a charge controller?

Most all of them are indoors, but I have solar on a couple of my campers,and I was suprised that with the new 200 watt high bay led lights it actually produces power from the leds inside when on.

mla2ofus

GOLD Site Supporter
I learned my lesson with the HF float chargers. Over a winter's use they cook the water out to below the top of the plates. Since my Hobart portable welder is 24v I ordered 12/24v charger that automatically senses the voltage and maintains the charge. I just rotate it around to 4 different 12v batts thru the winter.
Mike

1boringguy

GOLD Site Supporter
Most all of them are indoors, but I have solar on a couple of my campers,and I was suprised that with the new 200 watt high bay led lights it actually produces power from the leds inside when on.

Cool how the technology is coming along. So solar might still be an option, just not sure the efficiency is going to pencil out. :smile:

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
I've got a standard nautilus charger that goes up to 16v I believe. It's got 4 different settings for different sized batteries and cuts out when the battery reaches full charge. The issue with that is I have to remember to switch it around to different batteries.

I've already pulled 4 batteries from the boat and camper and have them in the heated garage attached to the house. Still 3 batteries for the quads and 2 for the lawn tractors to go.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
They work just fine in the winter.

Yup, garage does not have to be heated. I've never used one on a vehicle parked outside over the winter but I have used them for years in the unheated garage and never had an issue.

olympicorange

...... All good points once again... The bottom line is ...batteries are a major consumption of P.M. time , because they are a high level necessity. Costly due to their frequency of replacement. The job application dictates the priority. Such as emergency , municipal, etc. Require more attention, as opposed to personal units. And whose wallet takes the hit. But, that being said , ... I've been down the many roads previously described in the above post... Very hard to keep so many batteries up to par...or algae from growing in the fuel , etc. I work on and store equipment in the cold. I don't use tenders. I have for customers for years. I treat fuel accordingly. And change it out on regular intervals. I prefer to install battery disconnect switches on everything. For multiple reasons. I find an engine heater , batt. Disc. Sw., treated fuel works best for me. I hate electrical cords. Tripping, tangled, fire hazard, etc . on& on . as for gasoline applications , as I have stated in the past, not my favorite fuel...more p.m. involved. But treating tanks, fuels, shutoffs, running carbs dry, etc. Help greatly. It's all trial & error... Climate , etc . simply pulling the Neg. Cable off the battery does more, than nothing at all....good luck all...

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
...... All good points once again... The bottom line is ...batteries are a major consumption of P.M. time , because they are a high level necessity. Costly due to their frequency of replacement. The job application dictates the priority. Such as emergency , municipal, etc. Require more attention, as opposed to personal units. And whose wallet takes the hit. But, that being said , ... I've been down the many roads previously described in the above post... Very hard to keep so many batteries up to par...or algae from growing in the fuel , etc. I work on and store equipment in the cold. I don't use tenders. I have for customers for years. I treat fuel accordingly. And change it out on regular intervals. I prefer to install battery disconnect switches on everything. For multiple reasons. I find an engine heater , batt. Disc. Sw., treated fuel works best for me. I hate electrical cords. Tripping, tangled, fire hazard, etc . on& on . as for gasoline applications , as I have stated in the past, not my favorite fuel...more p.m. involved. But treating tanks, fuels, shutoffs, running carbs dry, etc. Help greatly. It's all trial & error... Climate , etc . simply pulling the Neg. Cable off the battery does more, than nothing at all....good luck all...

I agree on the battery disconnect switches. Anything I have installed a disconnect switch on has not had battery issues.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Yes, I use battery maintainers. Battery tenders are my fav. I use them on two ATV's, a ZTR mower, RTV, and a built in battery maintainer for the two deep cycle batteries in my boat.

One of the ATV's sits in the unheated garage attached to the house, all the rest are in the unheated pole barn. Last year instead of leaving the tenders on 24x7 I I decided to plug them all into a timer so that they only are powered on two hours a day. Same result as when I ran them 24x7. So I plan to do the same this winter season. During the summer I only use them on the ATV's that are not ridden very often.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
I agree on the battery disconnect switches. Anything I have installed a disconnect switch on has not had battery issues.

That's interesting. I've never used or installed a battery disconnect switch. There's one fitted in the motorhome but I've never used it. I keep it plugged in and there is also 200w of solar panels on the roof so there's never been a need. It sure would make the attached, open garage, the shop and the barn a lot tidier during the winter without all the wires and extension cords running all over the place.

Cidertom

Chionophile
GOLD Site Supporter
Disconnects certainly have their place. However there is a couple of issues.

Lead acid storage batteries self discharge just sitting there. Rates range from 2-5% per week depending on construction and condition. Under about 80% charge sulfation rates increase. So, if you take a 2% self discharge rate and let it sit for 12 weeks the battery is down 24% and sulfation is going to start increasing. If it is 5% your down 60% of capacity ...

The second issue is now gaining ground. Engines with computers and active engine management may lose their memory if the battery is disconnected. My Toyota runs "rougher than a cob" for about 100 miles after the battery is replaced. That is how long it takes for the computer to re-tune from default to optimum. Once upon a time, it was standard practice to have disconnects in emergency vehicles. Now the manufactures are warning against that due to computer issues. Not to mention the radio forgets your favorite station... The computers/radio/? parasitic load on the battery is a drain that requires being made up as well.

I have disconnect on the ST, the disconnect is bridged with a diode allowing it to be charged via my trailer umbilical as it is enroute to the snow so I know the battery is topped off when I get there.

alryA

All our PB-400's have battery disconnect switchs and we do turn them off, when they are not being ran. I'm not sure why Bully installs them.

olympicorange

Disconnects certainly have their place. However there is a couple of issues.

Lead acid storage batteries self discharge just sitting there. Rates range from 2-5% per week depending on construction and condition. Under about 80% charge sulfation rates increase. So, if you take a 2% self discharge rate and let it sit for 12 weeks the battery is down 24% and sulfation is going to start increasing. If it is 5% your down 60% of capacity ...

The second issue is now gaining ground. Engines with computers and active engine management may lose their memory if the battery is disconnected. My Toyota runs "rougher than a cob" for about 100 miles after the battery is replaced. That is how long it takes for the computer to re-tune from default to optimum. Once upon a time, it was standard practice to have disconnects in emergency vehicles. Now the manufactures are warning against that due to computer issues. Not to mention the radio forgets your favorite station... The computers/radio/? parasitic load on the battery is a drain that requires being made up as well.

I have disconnect on the ST, the disconnect is bridged with a diode allowing it to be charged via my trailer umbilical as it is enroute to the snow so I know the battery is topped off when I get there.

.... Some statistics there to ponder, for sure... An important factor to consider is the " cleanliness is next to godliness" of the exterior of the battery... Voltage discharge can " dance" across the exterior from neg. To pos. Green corrodies...as they say. Etc. And in combination with the " light" loads ; of the said above...radios, ecm's, etc... And cheap quality production batteries...made God knows where . all reek havoc... On the forces working against us all...to kill reserve/standby power supplies. Tough choices dealing with the newer , high tech equipment. But much easier resolved with our beloved old iron. So...half dozen one way or the other. My easiest , low dollar, less time consuming effort, etc ...is to remove the power supply from all draws.... Now, to throw another scenario out there.... If you have a batt. Disc. Sw...and using a tender.... You have to scrutinize all cables...wiring...etc... If you're not able to easily attach directly to the batteries, is the tender actually working properly, in relation to the disc. Sw. Location...to each other.... :smile: