• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Snowtrac ST4B brake drum needed.

dansvan

Hello all. I'm in need of a brake drum for a 1968 Trackmaster. It has the fine splines in the non-removable hub. If you have one you can part with in your parts stash please let me know. Thanks, Dan.

This is not mine but is what they look like.

danlance-001.jpg

danlance-003.jpg

roughwoods

SUPER Site Supporter
Dan what is the part # on the drum? I have a drum that looks like that the # on it is st31 let me know. Larry.

roughwoods

SUPER Site Supporter
Dan here are some pic, the splines look good to me.see what you think. Larry

Attachments

• MVC-019F.JPG
    MVC-019F.JPG
    47.8 KB · Views: 411
  • MVC-020F.JPG
    MVC-020F.JPG
    56.3 KB · Views: 404
  • MVC-021F.JPG
    MVC-021F.JPG
    40.5 KB · Views: 386
  • MVC-022F.JPG
    MVC-022F.JPG
    48.3 KB · Views: 408

KRC

I just bought my first st4 and am doing a complete rebuild.
Larry any possibility that you have another one in that good of shape. Mine is sloppy and the axle is as worn as the drum. The other side is excellent. also looking for track drive sprockets. not sure if there is any life in them they are worn to a point. hopefully when I figuire out how to put up some pictures you folks can comment on them.
thanks

roughwoods

SUPER Site Supporter
No KRC I sure don't. Dan got the only one I had.But if I hear of one I will let you know. Larry.

Lyndon

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
ABout ST4 Drums & Spline Shafts:
These generally need to be replaced in pairs. I Know this isn't Good News! Both the splined Axel shaft and the Brake Drum used on 2 Belt Snow Trac's and 4 Belt Trac Masters are made of soft material. If you put a new drum on an old spline shaft or 'Vice-Versa', you will end doing it over again. After visiting every dealer in North America and Alaska, as well as buying out the Canadian Phone Company what I found was there is an inherent weakness in this spline arraingement. All of the Dealers had piles of defective shafts. I tried it and found out myself the hard way. Later I was having shafts made and took them to an outfit that would heat treat them to make them harder. Of the dozen Snow Trac's, and 4 Trac Masters I've owned, and perhaps another 25% of the hundred or so other ST4's I've looked at and worked on, all had spline shaft problems. I started saving the old drums in anticipation of having an Insert made, sort of like a Helicoil only Spline to Spline, then having it heat treated. The very last machines produced had a special 2 piece clamping fitting made that carried the front sprockets. At this point they(AKTIV) had already moved the brake drums to the interior of the engine compartment. This "Fix" seems to have worked. In one case in alaska a frustrated owner had welded the shafts solid to the drums. Unfortunately his "Permanent Fix" prevented him from keeping the brakes operational and he soon wrecked the machine. There are several different front Axel shafts, the left and the right of all models are the same, but the overall length and bevels and splines differ from one run of production to another. When reassembling they need to be a real tight fit with absolutely no free play.

KRC

Thanks for the info Lyndon. Being new here I'm not sure yet on how to post pictures. I would like to get an opinion on the my splines condition. Will some degree of looseness still last for a while. I take it from what you say that there is no immediate solution and tight fitting axles and drums are hard to find or can't find at all.

RedRocker

Older Jeeps used that same kind of spline setup on the rear end. Seems like you could make an axle similar to a full floater and bolt it to the drum. Or build a drum from scratch out of steel maybe with a disc brake??? I've never seen the setup, so I'm just guessing here. See, if I had one of the damn things I would figure out a way to fix that deal, that's what I do. Came up with a better spring hanger for Jeeps, Slickrock Enterprises, back in the early 90's. Investment casting is a pretty inexpensive way to manufacture parts too, the mold is a bit pricey, but I bet you could cast a drum with a mating face to bolt a flanged axle.

Lyndon

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
When I sold out my supplies to Warren of Snow Trac.com, I gave him all my old drums as well as a bunch of new ones. He gained even more from another dealer he bought out at a later date(Jerry Mentzel, of North Pole). Christer, the only factory parts dealer, in Sweden has New ST31 also.