• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Electrical issue?

mtnlifestyle

Hi all, This group was so helpful last time (I have a new to me LiteFoot). I have gotten all the hydraulics and electrical fixed and even drove it around a bit. The other day after working on some other items I thought it best to start her up. It was cranking over just fine getting ready to run and then I lost all electrical power. I thought perhaps it was the ignition as it had been not making great contact so I replaced. Once I actually checked the power however I am not getting any power to my ignition. The starter solenoid has power to it but the engine will not turn over. No instrument lights, radio etc. What can I be missing? Battery is fine. For the life of me I can not locate a fuse box anywhere. Some items are fused separately (lights, stereo, etc.). Engine is an inline 6 Ford 200 (1976 Mustang). Help? Any ideas what it could be? TIA.

olympicorange

Hi all, This group was so helpful last time (I have a new to me LiteFoot). I have gotten all the hydraulics and electrical fixed and even drove it around a bit. The other day after working on some other items I thought it best to start her up. It was cranking over just fine getting ready to run and then I lost all electrical power. I thought perhaps it was the ignition as it had been not making great contact so I replaced. Once I actually checked the power however I am not getting any power to my ignition. The starter solenoid has power to it but the engine will not turn over. No instrument lights, radio etc. What can I be missing? Battery is fine. For the life of me I can not locate a fuse box anywhere. Some items are fused separately (lights, stereo, etc.). Engine is an inline 6 Ford 200 (1976 Mustang). Help? Any ideas what it could be? TIA.

……….. hello MLS,... if you don't smell, or see evidence of an electrical ''voltage drop'' to ground ( short),... then it sounds like you have what we call,..an ''open'' . which restricts voltage from making a circuit complete,.. in this case the ''primary'' circuit ; which usually consist of the ; batteries, cables, starter , charging components, power distribution components, (relays, circuit breakers, fuse box,),...( large amperage side ),.. a D.V.O.M.,. is very helpful,... starting at the batteries, and work down stream. but a quick test I like to do ( ensure vehicle won't move if engine is started), is access the starter solenoid, locate the ''S'' wire terminal (key sw.), and engage pos. (+) terminal. if starter ''cranks, continue on with power supplies to unit. if it doesn't, then your main primary supply is the issue; corroded/loose connections, burnt/broken cable, batteries, loose starter solenoid terminal (stud) , lug ends, starter, etc. and if that's the case, then lots of the time, when you get the starter to work, the rest follows,... happy hunting....:thumbup::thumbup:

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
as stated above,,,,
Go wiggle your battery clamps, you may have simply lost your ground connection......

I had a butt kicking experience with a DT466 IH engine and some bonding straps I installed with out preparing the mating surfaces......

I deserved my experience, it was the wire/cable to battery clamp connection completely unrelated to the bonding straps, but convince yourself while working around it......

Cidertom

Chionophile
GOLD Site Supporter
The next one to check, put the positive led of the meter on the + terminal of the battery. the - on the starter terminal connected to battery. Apply load (headlights)and see what the voltage does. it should only be fractional volt, but you may see several volts. I've been tricked by the potted battery terminals being corroded where you can't see it. it looked good, but had only a couple of fine wires left.

PJL

Also look for fusible links. They can burn out and the insulation looks fine. They look like a piece of wire, not like a fuse.

olympicorange

….. what did you find.....

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
I to have a light foot just an older non hydro model those talking battery termanals might be right on. Also check for an engine ground to frame on my light foot the battery grounds to the frame and there should be a strap between the engine and frame. mine doesn't have that strap on it so the engine is finding ground through the engine mounting hardware which isn't good.

mtnlifestyle

Hi all,

Sorry for the long delay in closing out this thread. Long story short, it was all about bad battery cables. There was a ton of corrosion internally in the cables. We figured it out after we cleaned the post, et al and after a bit there was white powder on the battery that fell out of the cables. Spent way too much time checking out everything else it could have been but at least the electrical is all tight now.

My cat is all repaired and is working great! Except it now pulls a little to the left...it is always something. But, what a blast! Game changer getting into our off-grid Yurt with gear, dogs, water, food. We used to haul stuff in on skis with sleds...now we drive!

Thanks for everyones help.

alryA

If it involves dogs and/or kids, I'm all for it. :clap: Thanks for posting!

My cat is all repaired and is working great! Except it now pulls a little to the left...it is always something. But, what a blast! Game changer getting into our off-grid Yurt with gear, dogs, water, food. We used to haul stuff in on skis with sleds...now we drive!
Thanks for everyones help.

olympicorange

……….. hello MLS,... if you don't smell, or see evidence of an electrical ''voltage drop'' to ground ( short),... then it sounds like you have what we call,..an ''open'' . which restricts voltage from making a circuit complete,.. in this case the ''primary'' circuit ; which usually consist of the ; batteries, cables, starter , charging components, power distribution components, (relays, circuit breakers, fuse box,),...( large amperage side ),.. a D.V.O.M.,. is very helpful,... starting at the batteries, and work down stream. but a quick test I like to do ( ensure vehicle won't move if engine is started), is access the starter solenoid, locate the ''S'' wire terminal (key sw.), and engage pos. (+) terminal. if starter ''cranks, continue on with power supplies to unit. if it doesn't, then your main primary supply is the issue; corroded/loose connections, burnt/broken cable, batteries, loose starter solenoid terminal (stud) , lug ends, starter, etc. and if that's the case, then lots of the time, when you get the starter to work, the rest follows,... happy hunting....:thumbup::thumbup:

……….:applause:

Moosehead

Did you ever find a fusebox? Just replaced starter and battery and lights don't work