• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

disc brakes on a Farmall"A"?

baldy347

Hi All,
I've been making slow progress on the little tractor,but would like to put brakes on my "A" without disassembling most of the finals -wheel weights,wheels and tires[loaded],reduction housings,seat,fenders.any thoughts on using rotors and calipers from a truck between the axle flange and wheel? i think brackets could be made to bolt to drop housings to hold calipers, small individual master cylinders could mount under operators platform.
many thanks,wayne

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
As long as the studs are long enough for the additional rotor thickness should be all right. Making up and mounting the caliper brackets would be the hardest part.

baldy347

thanks guys, an upgrade in braking is the desired result as originals were rather ineffective at best-virtually non existent in reverse. cash lay-out probably less this way too-quoted $600 at local shop ["those bolts haven't been outta there in over 60 years, how many will break off?]
wayne

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
To start give each one a good hard smack with a BFH before you try turning them. You would be surprised how many times that breaks the threads loose. You can use a small torch to warm the casting and then put an ice cube on the bolt. See you are about 20 miles west of me. I am over in Troupsburg/Woodhull area.

baldy347

about 10 miles south of Wellsville, wondered how close when i saw the tractor from Lamb and Webster; and the $600 quote is for stock brakes. a torn rotator cuff and torn bicep means the project will wait till spring but i can push the pencil all winter.
wayne

baldy347

bolt pattern for wheels is 6 on 6 1/2" , which appears to be ag. only application. Rotors will need to be custom fabbed. tractor weighs less than a Chevette so most any small car caliper should work. should be able to mount them on drop housings. If it was a Cub ,rotors from 5 on 4 1/2 ford or dodge would fit.:neutral:

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Just got my rotator cuff fixed in June. Put up with it for a year. You will need to get some good steel the same thickness as the rotors on what ever you get the calipers from. Maybe get a little thicker and face both sides on a lathe then drill your bolt circle.

Av8r3400

Gone Flyin'
And this whole jurry-rigged major modification and fabrication exercise less work than just fixing (properly) the actual brakes on this tractor?? You haven't even talked about master cylinders, peddles, linkages and plumbing yet, either.

I'd have to agree with mbseig's statement...

mbsieg

awful member
GOLD Site Supporter
Better watch out the rep police will get you for not being supportive Av8R..... But I guess others opinions are not valid... Just trying to save the guy some headaches..... Had 2 A's when growing up brakes worked fine stopped loaded grain trailers........ Fix them right save some money and headaches... the guys that built the tractors were not idiots hell the tractor is still running isn't it...