• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Thiokol hydraulic question

MattDorram

Hi guys,
I’m new here and have a question about a 1976 Thiokol 2100b I just acquired. I have no need for any hydraulic components other than the rear differential braking/steering. I’m planning to remove all accessory lines and components. I’m wondering if anyone has knowledge of a simpler hydraulic pump that I can run to achieve adequate steering and braking without using the huge hydraulic pump from the factory? Maybe just a power steering pump? It has a Ford 300 CID inline 6.
Thanks in advance!
Matt

Snowcat Pat

I used a mid 1970's Ford power steering pump for all the hydraulics on my home-built cat, 1200 psi 3gpm ran everything just fine. My own experience. Thiokol 2100 requires 400-500 psi for steering.
-Pat

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
the 2100 only uses low pressure and its a continuous flow when you pull a lever it blocks off flow and builds pressure in the appropriate slave cylinder

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
I forgot to mention mn outdoors has a neat joystick control that can be added to any snow cat

Thefatsquatch

Not a clue if you got this project finished in time for winter, but wanted to throw something out there. I removed everything but the bypass pressure regulator and steering system on my 2100b, and now I can't rev over 2300 rpm without the pump trying to deadhead itself. It will cost you one extra hose and a few fittings to leave the priority splitter in, (the first bypass pressure regulator) but it will allow a primary route for the oil to go back to the tank, and allow you to get a few more revs in. These cats are slooooooow at 2000 rpm. I can make about 10 mph at 2300 rpm, but that's pushing it. I am tempted to swap the 4 speed for a 5 speed.