• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

KIDNEY STONES ~ ouch!

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Try to find the cause of your stones, it might be dietary. If it is then eliminate that food!
I was told it's hereditary. I had my first stones when i was 6 years old and probably 4-5000 since. When I was a kid, they didn't know what it was. It's still pretty rare today with under 50K people in the country having this issue.

My body doesn't break down the amino acid cystine so it just sits there and crystalizes.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
I would hate to think Super beets causes kidney stones. It is part of my program to fight ED.

Been using that for several years but Kidney stones take a decade or so.

TUM's, on the other hand, is a whole nuther matter. Heartburn has several alternatives.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I would hate to think Super beets causes kidney stones. It is part of my program to fight ED.

Been using that for several years but Kidney stones take a decade or so.

TUM's, on the other hand, is a whole nuther matter. Heartburn has several alternatives.
Super Beets (beets) are a known cause of kidney stones for many people

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Well, here we go again.

I last posted about 8 months ago with a bad stone. I've passed around 60 stones since then, some of them really friggin' big. Anything under about 5mm goes through my system with barely a notice.

I had an ultrasound a few months ago so they could see what's left in the kidneys. It showed stones in both kidneys with one being around 17mm. My urologist said the equivalent of "17mm, no way" so he ordered a CT scan to get a better look. It was a couple weeks before I got the CT scan. The results came back. It had actually grown to 25mm and is still growing. Ruh roh. So this one will need surgical removal. They go in from your back and run a tube into the kidney. They go in with tools, break it up then suck it out the same tube. This will be a 2-5 day hospital stay. Unfortunately, I may be coming out of the hospital with a couple tubes and bags still attached to me. :(

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
YIKES!?!

What is the root cause of your stones? You need to find that out and try to eliminate it.

My cause was excess calcium, foods like Beets and antacids like TUMS. My stones have been tiny and pass naturally since eliminating the causes.

power1

Well, here we go again.

I last posted about 8 months ago with a bad stone. I've passed around 60 stones since then, some of them really friggin' big. Anything under about 5mm goes through my system with barely a notice.

I had an ultrasound a few months ago so they could see what's left in the kidneys. It showed stones in both kidneys with one being around 17mm. My urologist said the equivalent of "17mm, no way" so he ordered a CT scan to get a better look. It was a couple weeks before I got the CT scan. The results came back. It had actually grown to 25mm and is still growing. Ruh roh. So this one will need surgical removal. They go in from your back and run a tube into the kidney. They go in with tools, break it up then suck it out the same tube. This will be a 2-5 day hospital stay. Unfortunately, I may be coming out of the hospital with a couple tubes and bags still attached to me. :(
I thought they could blast the stones with a laser.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I thought they could blast the stones with a laser.
The cause of my stones is something called cystinuria. It's a pretty rare hereditary disease. Diet really doesn't change it.
The stones are significantly harder than others so the "laser" (it's called lithotripsy) doesn't really work.
There's only one medicine that "may" help but the side effects are so bad my nephrologist doesn't recommend it.
I've naturally passed thousands of stones, the largest being around 17mm but they say there's no way a human can pass something that's 25mm+ so I need the surgery.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Found this pic on the internet showing the sizes of kidney stones.
I'd break this pic. My stone is twice as large as the largest one pictured.
This may not be to scale on your device's monitor.

iu

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Ouch. That had to be painful. How did you put up with it long enough for it to grow to that size?

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Being as it stayed in the kidney, I didn't have the normal pain encountered when it moves down towards the bladder. I did have a dull pain in my back the last couple weeks because it did fill a good chunk of the kidney.

power1

I can guarantee I couldn't pass one that big. It would be like forcing a soft ball through a garden hose.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Damn it! Woke last Friday morning with kidney stone symptoms.
Opened my bag labeled "kidney stone meds". 2 of the 3 meds are expired. Called my MD's for prescription refills. Wouldn't give me any pain meds. GRRRR. They said if you have pain, go to the ER.
I've passed thousands of stones without the trouble and expense of an ER visit. I just needed something to relieve pain so I can pass the stone. I'm not happy.
Punch line is I passed a 12mm stone this morning. I took 1 or 2 (expired) pain pill in the last 3 days. Grin and bear it.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I hope lots of FLUIDS were used to make the process flow a bit smoother!

And I'd rather take an expired pain med than nothing at all.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I hope lots of FLUIDS were used to make the process flow a bit smoother!

And I'd rather take an expired pain med than nothing at all.
I was sick of laying in bed for 2 days, also knowing that just laying there won't move a stone. I came outside, enjoyed the ambiance and drank an 8-pack to force fluids. That volume pushed the stone.

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
Damn it! Woke last Friday morning with kidney stone symptoms.
Opened my bag labeled "kidney stone meds". 2 of the 3 meds are expired. Called my MD's for prescription refills. Wouldn't give me any pain meds. GRRRR. They said if you have pain, go to the ER.
I've passed thousands of stones without the trouble and expense of an ER visit. I just needed something to relieve pain so I can pass the stone. I'm not happy.
Punch line is I passed a 12mm stone this morning. I took 1 or 2 (expired) pain pill in the last 3 days. Grin and bear it.
Look up expired scripts. They<may> lose some efficacy. I don't believe they will harm you.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Yea, I'm going to have some "conversations" with my PCP and Urologist about this. I DO NOT abuse pain medications, in fact, I underuse them.
I was supposed to go on a Caribbean/Mexico cruise next week but cancelled (at great expense) for fear of more stones and inadequate medications or medical care.