• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

KIDNEY STONES ~ ouch!

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Spent a good part of last night in the local hospital emergency room. :4_11_9:

Thank goodness they have "good" drugs there for pain! :D

I've had several kidney stones in the past, had them every summer for 4 years in a row. The 4th year was the worst, the stones were too large to pass so I had lithotripsy (sp?) to break them up. . . felt like someone beat on my back with a baseball bat, but eliminated the stones. :beatdeadhorse5:

Last night was different. I ate some cucumber salad and immediately got an upset stomach. Figured the food was bad? Seemed logical. Over the course of the evening the upset stomach turned to back pain, nausea, etc.

Into the Emergency Room after a 20 minute bumpy ride down the rural roads and a few hours later I was released. I still have the stone, is small enough that I have an 80% probability of passing it. The thing that surprised me was that I had another stone. It has been several years since my last stone. And I figured I was 'done' with them.

Anyone else get these things? Did you modify your diet to minimize them? :confused2:

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Sorry to hear about your stone.

I get them all the time. My first was when I was 6 years old and I've passed between 4-5,000 since.

Did they say how large it was? Do I assume correctly it's currently stuck in the ureter between the kidney and bladder?

You should be past the worst of the pain. It'll subside to an isolated area near the kidney due to the backup of fluids. Unfortunately, when this happens, (unless directed otherwise by your MD), you need to drink more fluids to put pressure behind it and force it down.

You would be surprised at how large of a stone you can pass. I've had some monsters.

I haven't changed my diet in that mine are made of cystine and not calcium. Actually, the meds for the cystine stones are so bad that I stopped taking them as I'd prefer to pass the stones.

mtntopper

Back On Track
SUPER Site Supporter
You guys go ahead and pass the stones. I will just stick to just throwing stones.:slap: Sorry, to hear of your problem. Must be less painful to be hit by a stone than to pass one.:eek:

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
bczoom said:
Did they say how large it was? Do I assume correctly it's currently stuck in the ureter between the kidney and bladder?
They did say, and in my drug induced state I can't remember. I do remember something like 3mm. But that seems like it would be huge!?!

And yes, it moved out of the kidney and is working its way down the tube toward my bladder.

They told me to take 2 extra strength Vicodin every 4 to 6 hours. All I can say is that I am in a major mental haze and I want to play with power tools. The little bits of sanity I have that are able to muster their way through the drugs are telling me to back away from the tools.

Durwood RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
They say to drink lemonaid or eat lemons for kidney stones. I always drink water with lemons in it. I have never had a stone so maybe it works.:D

Dur

OhioTC18

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
After my one and only stone, the Doc asked if I drank Gatorade? I replied, Yup at least a bottle a day......he said OK, I'll see ya soon then, unless you give that up. I haven't touched a bottle since.

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
Eeewwwww! I have only passed one kidney stone in my life, thank goodness! For me, I was pissing off the back of a rather large yacht looking at Alcatraz. Suddenly the nice strong stream of urine stopped and I had the most awful pain I can imagine. ( I think I've told this story either here, or at the other place; sorry to repeat myself if you've already heard the story) Thinking that something had chomped my wanger off, I turned towards the boat (it was just after sunset) to get a look see in the boat lights. That's when the back pressure overcame the obstruction and out it came. The last thing I recall before I fell off the back of the boat into San Fran Bay was seeing blood and hearing a distinct 'clink' on the boat swim deck. :eek:

I'm in shock from the pain and in eve more shock from the ice cold water as well. One long time friend of mine happened to see what happened, but wasn't sure what he saw. He said he saw me turn towards the boat with a look on my face he said he'd never forget while holding Willy. He then said he heard me scream a bit and then saw blood come from me and, he too, heard a clink on the deck. Being the good buddy he is (and the fact that he too was very drunk), he hopped over the fantail and picked up this little spikey thing that he said had shot out of my, er, uh, you know what. He put it in a little water tight container he had on his key ring.

That's when he noticed that I'm bobbing in the waves, screaming, and still holding my wanger. He actually jumped in after me then. However, as soon as he hit the water, he shot right back up onto the boat. :pat: Now everyone on board was in on what was going on. They threw me a rope and told me to swim and quit holding my, er, uh, you know what. I recall being not only in pain, freezing, but somehow I just knew the end of my dear little buddy was gone. :eek:

I got to go to the medical hospital down by the fisherman's wharf. They immediately diagnosed what had happened with the help of the little present that Dave had in his key ring container. I got shot in the ass with Demerol (sp?) and sent on my merry way. Fortunately for me, I've never experienced anything like that since even though they told me that it was very possible that I would since I had one.

So, I really feel your pain Bob. Hopefully you didn't have to freeze and nearly drown while showing your wanger to everyone while in really, really cold water. :whistle:

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Dargo, that made me chuckle.

I've still not passed the stone. My back is aching in the area of my right kidney. On a side note, and not a very pleasant one, I am beginning to think that vicodin prevents you from taking a normal poop :toiletpap because I seem to be stopped up! So for those of you who have always suspect that I am full of s**t at least for today, I can confirm those thoughts.

OhioTC18

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
B_Skurka said:
I am beginning to think that vicodin prevents you from taking a normal poop :toiletpap because I seem to be stopped up! So for those of you who have always suspect that I am full of s**t at least for today, I can confirm those thoughts.

Yep it does.........

• Vicodin may cause constipation. Drink plenty of water (six to eight full glasses a day) to lessen this side effect. Increased fiber in the diet may also help to alleviate constipation.

BoneheadNW

Bob, never had one but have met many people that did. Sorry for your discomfort and I hope you feel better soon. An the bright side, maybe this will take your mind off your foot! OK, maybe there is no bright side.
Bonehead

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
OhioTC18 said:
Drink plenty of water (six to eight full glasses a day) to lessen this side effect.
If he drinks 6-8 glasses of water in a day, the vicoden won't be helping as his kidney will feel like it wants to explode.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
B_Skurka said:
They did say, and in my drug induced state I can't remember. I do remember something like 3mm. But that seems like it would be huge!?!
Actually, 3mm is relatively small (which is good for you). They normally pass without much incident (other than the current pain/discomfort you currently have). You don't want to know how it feels but a stone over 5x that size (yep, that's .66 inches:eek: ) can be passed.

A Ureteroscopy or Cystoscopy may be able to reach up there and get the stone if it doesn't pass but most MD's would prefer/recommend your body is given time to pass it on its own.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Well less than 1 month since my last episode and I have another kidney stone. :mad:

Went through a CT scan today. This stone is twice the size of my last one. :eek: The doctor told me that for the next few days Vicodin will be my best friend and constant companion. :smileywac

So if you don't hear from me for a while it is probably because I am either :4_11_9:in pain, or :cry:like a little girl while curled up in the fetal position. Right now I'm in modest discomfort, but not horrible pain. With my normal luck the real pain doesn't start until after everyone is in bed and comfortably asleep. Then I start the screaming and moaning and piss off the whole family. Even the dogs don't like me then!

I'm just hoping this one passes pretty quickly, I'm supposed to be on an airplane to Seattle next Tuesday. The doctor said it may be a while before this one passes and there is no way I will get on a plane if this stone is still rattling around my innards. I'd actually like it gone before the weekend. My daughter's volleyball team goes into the tournament this weekend and they are the only undefeated team in the league. I want to watch them play!!!

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
B_Skurka said:
So if you don't hear from me for a while it is probably because I am either :4_11_9:in pain, or :cry:like a little girl while curled up in the fetal position. Right now I'm in modest discomfort, but not horrible pain. With my normal luck the real pain doesn't start until after everyone is in bed and comfortably asleep. Then I start the screaming and moaning and piss off the whole family. Even the dogs don't like me then!

Medical Marijuana. :my2cents:

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Good luck with this one Bob. Either we won't see you posting or we'll see you posting silly chit cause your in a drug induced euphoria (legal or otherwise :D).

A co worker had some and they used sound waves to burst them.

daedong

Bob, they sound bloody awful things to get, all the best. Has the Doc said what cause them? I don’t know anyone that has had kidney stones. Maybe you need to drink more beer:burp:, that seems to fix most things.

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
B_Skurka said:
This stone is twice the size of my last one. :eek: The doctor told me that for the next few days Vicodin will be my best friend and constant companion. :smileywac

Are you going to be all grumpy and shit like "House"? I bought the first season of that show. It's really good, but Dr. Greg House's best friend is Vicoden and he is as grumpy as shit; a good guy, but still grumpy.

If you're going to be in bed, I'd advise getting the first season of that show. I bought the 2nd season last night. :)

Hope you get better! I do understand your pain. ;)

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Sorry to hear you have another.:mad:

Lots of liquids will help push the stone out but... it will probably cause more pain.

Something on the bright side is when the stone does pass, your ureter will be much larger. Any subsequent stones of a similar or smaller size will then pass easily.

kensfarm

Charter Member
SUPER Site Supporter
I remember back 35+ years ago when my Dad had kidney stones.. visiting him at the hospital they had 3 clear tubes running out of his penis. Being a little kid.. and not knowing what they were attached to.. I had picked up the tubes to ask what they were for.. My Dad-> "Nooo.. Don't Touch That!!"

I've had 2 emergency visits for kidney stones.. first time it was kidney stone.. 2nd time(last year before Xmas) it was my appendix!

I suggest taking DaveNay(Medical Marijuana).. Daedong(substitute hard liquor).. and the doctors advice(Vicodin).. all at the same time.. maybe you'll be able to find some relief!! Hang in there.. feel better!!!

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Well I can't get rid of this second kidney stone!

In fact I may not be going to Washington next week on a business trip because of this stone. It doesn't seem to want to pass. Its just hanging out causing problems.

Jen's Jeep

Site Supporter
That flat out stinks:(

I have had them x2 now once while being preggo:rolleyes: I was admitted for one, and it passed during my stay...I dont remember it passing:confused2: . My 2nd one was pretty nasty.......I remember tellig Eric, "it's coming, it's coming"...I ran to the bathroom , put the strainer thingy under me and..."pop" out it came;) . That was the weirdest feeling:eek:

Im looking for the pics

mbsieg

awful member
GOLD Site Supporter
PIC'S WE DO NOT NEED PICS!!!!!!!!!!! Just kidding!! I get them every so often HURT LIKE HELL!!!

DAP

Bob .. I've passed 4 of em now .. over a span of about 7 years. Here are some facts:

1. There are 2 basic types of kidney stones, identified by color ... whitish or dark brownish .

2. It was thought they were the result of dietary issues, but in truth, it is still not known exactly what causes them

3. If you have passed one stone, you have an 83% chance of passing more stones

4. Men have kidney stones MUCH more frequently than women (while women have more gaulbladder stone episodes) ...

5. Most nurses swear that passing a kidney stone is worse than labor pains
6. The surreal pain is a result of the stones thousand sided razor edges slicing its way through the ureter, the vessel that connects your kidneys to your bladder. If the stone is EXTREMELY large, you make experience some urthral pain upon expulsion via a life saving piss ...

Other than that, they are wonderful, aren't they? Haven't had ANY since enjoying my Teewurst though.

:puke1:

Jen's Jeep

Site Supporter
DAP said:
3. If you have passed one stone, you have an 83% chance of passing more stones

:puke1:

Im actually on hold with my dr to see if I need to go in tonight.....

I think I may be getting another one:(
uggghhhh...this stinks:mad:

Jen's Jeep

Site Supporter
OK...so this am I feel ok:confused2:

I can't remember, does the pain come for a while and then go away then come back? I wanna say that's what happened last round:confused2:

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
At first it feels like an upset stomach (at least it does for me) then I feel like I need to vomit. Eventually the pain is clearly in my lower back, typically on one side. In the early stages it seems to start and stop, but when it is moving there is nothing but pain.

Jen's Jeep

Site Supporter
The pain was on my side.......none this am. but with all the liquid Im taking in, I should be urinating like crazy. I think there is a blockage, cause Im not going nearly as much as I should be....

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Jen's Jeep said:
all the liquid Im taking in
If there's a blockage, the kidney that's blocked will swell. Then you'll get the back pain... and it'll stay.:(