• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Wow and then some.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
I just got off the phone with Strong memorial getting the results of my tests. Seems I have leukemia and need to start shots right away and a whole lot of regular testing and annual bone marrow tests at the minimum. The shots will be weekly with dosage adjustments and when it gets worse, chemo. Have some serious lifestyle changes to do and start really working at building up my health and stamina while they try to match me with a marrow donor. 3 years is the rosy side of things right now but it is all subject to change depending on how fast it mutates. This has been a week of roller coaster emotions that take my breath away and scare the hell out of me at the same time. So much happening that it is a little overwhelming even though I knew this day was coming. Will be getting the shots and some testing in Elmira and go back to Strong at least every 60 days for more extensive tests to monitor the progression which she assured me will come. Soooooo... it ain't a death sentence but it will get worse without a marrow transplant. Whole lot to digest with deaths and hospitalized folks and more this week. Wish it was not dark out and waiting for a snowstorm to roll in. Would be a good time for a long walk and some life reflection.:pat:

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Dang Muley. What a week. :eek: I'm so sorry to hear this latest news. Man oh man. I pretty much speechless other than to say lots of good thoughts and prayers are heading your way from the state with Hi in the middle on O on each end.

squerly

Supported Ben Carson
GOLD Site Supporter
That's a disappointing prognosis to say the least. What causes, or how does one get leukemia? Is it something in your (our) lifestyle or is it hereditary? Can you do something about this with a lifestyle change?

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Yeah, It kind of feels a little like a truck just knocked you down. I can deal with my own pain a lot easier than seeing what it does to those around me. I ain't told the wife all they said just yet as she is a little overwhelmed right now. Knowing this day is coming is one thing but it sure is different when they lay it out for you. Lots of emotions to process right now.:hammer: I will start the first shot Monday and the Doc over there will lay it out for the wife if she goes along. Part of me wants to fight and part of me wants to say fuck it. Changes about every 5-10 minutes right now.:flowers:

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
That's a disappointing prognosis to say the least. What causes, or how does one get leukemia? Is it something in your (our) lifestyle or is it hereditary? Can you do something about this with a lifestyle change?
They said it could have come from transfusions when I had my cardiac trouble or a whole host of things. It is somewhat unusual to show this late in life but who knows. The only thing that fixes it is a marrow transplant which is a needle in a haystack hunt.

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
Sorry to hear about this muleman - you've got a long road ahead of you. A friend of ours daughter just finished a two year battle with Leukemia and so far she is winning. But it was a hard battle.

Be strong no matter what you do.

joec

GOLD Site Supporter
Really sorry to hear it muley and you will be in my thoughts for sure.

squerly

Supported Ben Carson
GOLD Site Supporter
The only thing that fixes it is a marrow transplant which is a needle in a haystack hunt.
How does that work? I'm gong to bet that bone marrow isn't the same for everyone? You need a special type?

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
How does that work? I'm gong to bet that bone marrow isn't the same for everyone? You need a special type?
She said it is like a needle in a haystack hunt to match the DNA, blood type etc. They have a natioal registry and all you do is send a spit swab like the FBI does on TV. Donors they take it out of your wrist.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
National Marrow Donor Program

Real simple to do. They mail you a card, you give em some spit and send it back. It may not help me but the more that join the better the odds. Hopefully it will give some kid a chance at the life I have enjoyed.

tommu56

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Bill I got too many strikes against me to be a donor but I will keep you in my thoughts through this.

tom

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
That is cool Tom. There are a lot of folks who can do it if the word got out better.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
Yeah, It kind of feels a little like a truck just knocked you down. I can deal with my own pain a lot easier than seeing what it does to those around me. I ain't told the wife all they said just yet as she is a little overwhelmed right now. Knowing this day is coming is one thing but it sure is different when they lay it out for you. Lots of emotions to process right now.:hammer: I will start the first shot Monday and the Doc over there will lay it out for the wife if she goes along. Part of me wants to fight and part of me wants to say fuck it. Changes about every 5-10 minutes right now.:flowers:
Don't ever say fuck it.
Fight it.
You have no other option right now.

jpr62902

Jeanclaude Spam Banhammer
SUPER Site Supporter
Put your ass kickin' boots on and get to work, Mulie! The people of Earth still need you.:flowers:

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
Yes?
I am off duty at the moment.. LOL
Love ya Bill.
Do what you have to do.
It'd be a shitty world without you in it.

loboloco

Mule, we will be pulling for you all through this. If there is anything we can do from down here, let us know. My mom sends here best wishes and regards. She said she hopes you get to try the corn out.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Soon as the ground thaws out I will be spreading manure and working it. Some of the bulbs on the south side of the house are trying to push up now. Totally crazy winter this year. Sap is running like mad and it is still February. Hard to believe it.

loboloco

Mule, I tried to join up, but they wouldn't let me. Seems having even one heart attack rules a person out.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
That is the sad part. Us old worn out farts that would gladly do it ain't in good enough shape. The young ones are too busy tweeting and facebooking.

luvs

'lil yinzer~
GOLD Site Supporter
take as much time as you need to accept & process it. i'm very sorry, mule. you're strong, hilarious & you. please, instead of throwing in the towel, keep on. keep on.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
I ain't throwing in the towel yet.:hammer: Been like a thrill ride emotionally here of late. Right now I have to go fight this funny white stuff we have barely seen this winter. Will plow around here and go for an illegal breakfast before plowing the animal shelter and some old neighbors places.:clap:

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
WOW. I was not expecting to here leukemia. :(

I've been reading on how to join to be a donor (Medical guidelines of donor are on this page http://marrow.org/Join/Medical_Guidelines/Medical_Guidelines_for_Joining_the_Registry.aspx#top)
I'm not sure if they would take me as a donor.

This is such sad news. As mentioned by others, we're here to help in any way we can. Just let us know. The FF family is pretty darn big. With lots of prayers and whatever else you may need, we'll help you get through this.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
I posted the marrow donor link in a separate post called swap some spit for a good cause. Waiting for Doc or Dog to make it a sticky so more folks see it. May not help me but should save some kids lives. If needed I would gladly step aside for a kid to have the marrow first. I have led a good life and have no real regrets. If it is meant to be it will happen. Can't change it but don't have to roll over and make it easy for the disease either.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
Us old worn out farts that would gladly do it ain't in good enough shape.

Ah Muley, I don't know what to say. As to the above, you're right, they don't want us ol' farts. We're too old and decrepit. Hell, they won't even take my blood at any blood drive. It seems that I've been in too many bad places in this world and been exposed to God only knows what.