• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Shop air conditioner

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I was thinking of putting an air conditioner in my shop.

The room is 16x27' with 10' ceilings.

Does 18,000 BTU seem about right?

Although I don't have any windows, I was thinking of taking a window air conditioner and making it a permanent install. I was going to mount it approx. in the center of the 27' wall with the bottom of the unit about 6' off the ground. Is this a good location?

Are there any brands that are very good or very bad that I should be aware of?

Any other thoughts?

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
bczoom said:
I was thinking of putting an air conditioner in my shop.

The room is 16x27' with 10' ceilings.

Does 18,000 BTU seem about right?

Although I don't have any windows, I was thinking of taking a window air conditioner and making it a permanent install. I was going to mount it approx. in the center of the 27' wall with the bottom of the unit about 6' off the ground. Is this a good location?

Are there any brands that are very good or very bad that I should be aware of?

Any other thoughts?

Sounds minimal to me. How good is the insulation? Especially around the doors. If that is the size you end up with, you might want to supplement with a couple ceiling fans. Moving air makes the biggest difference IMHO.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
DaveNay said:
Sounds minimal to me.
You're saying 18K BTU's may not be enough?

Here's a pic of the building.

The area I want to cool is the closest 1/4 of the building.
From the flag going back.

The side wall (where the man door is) going back to the end of the translucent fiberglass thingy near the top of the wall.

There's 6" insulation in the exterior wall and ceiling. The fiberglass panel would obviously be the weak point on the exterior.

There's 4" insulation on the interior walls. The garage door is insulated.

On the side wall right near the top there's a black speaker. I was thinking of installing the unit just to the right of it.

For air movement, I do have the blower on the heater that can be used. I was thinking of not supplementing since the hot air will rise and get above where I would be.

Attachments

• MVC-707S.JPG
    MVC-707S.JPG
    36.9 KB · Views: 49

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
By the looks of the picture, I'm wondering why you want A/C. :confused: It appears to be cool enough to me.

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
Just open a dang door. It will cool down fast according to the pic. :yum: :pat:

18,000 should do the job for you. If your going to expect to go out there and just turn it on and be happy in a few minutes then maybe go a tad higher. But in that type of application 1 ton (12,000) btu's per 400 square feet. That is figuring our area which your conditions should be about the same.

murph

pixie

SUPER Site Supporter
I'm using a 8000 btu/hr one in my garage which is about 1000 square feet with 12 foot ceiling. It makes a huge difference.

I've been known to sleep on a cot in the garage when it's really hot :D

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
My new unit is a 12,000 btu and the shop is 32 by 24 by 10' tall. It is also well insulated and the windows a low-e glass dual pane casement windows. I was told this would be 'adequate' by the HVAC guys.

* The center of the the shop has a cathedral ceiling that peaks at about 15' but the two sides have flat ceilings at 10' tall.

pixie said:
I've been known to sleep on a cot in the garage when it's really hot :D
Hot headed after a fight with your better half? :hide:

pixie

SUPER Site Supporter
:yum: Bob :D

No, just the ordinary kind of too warm out hot.

I don't fight :StickOutT
and I'm even still friends with the x-husband.

:winterrul :winterrul