• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Hurting now

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Spent the last few hours picking rocks and some of them were way big. Got about half of a 6 acre field done enough to disc it. Back and arms are screaming and I have more to do tomorrow. Might have to break down and take some real pain pills tonight. I have not taken anything but tylenol since June so I could get used to sleeping with minor pain. It has been going better but I can tell this is going to be a tough night already. I sure miss having the Amish boys living a few miles away.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Well actually there were 6 deaths and hopefully the last woman got out of the hospital today. She is still in bad shape and will need multiple surgeries as she recovers. About 34 families have moved to start a new settlement down near Cooperstown,NY. The ones I was real close to moved in March. The boys will be coming back this fall to cut and split another tri-axle load of wood for me. They have their hands full around here trying to help all the families that lost a parent or have one laid up after the accident.

Adillo303

Diesel Truck Fan
GOLD Site Supporter
I am sorry to hear that.

Did they move because of the accident or something else?

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Nobody says for sure. Seems like some infighting in the church to me. My closest neighbor moved and his son took over the farm here. He had lived here for 26 years. My friends only moved because a group of investors offered him a $320,000 profit for his 326 acres. He paid cash for his new farm and is sitting good and looking to buy the adjoining farm down there.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Sorry to hear you're as sore as I am. I was thinking "I want to be like Bill" when I was processing firewood yesterday. You're woodshed is ready, mine still has a lot of space so I've been hitting it hard.

My friends only moved because a group of investors offered him a $320,000 profit for his 326 acres.
$320K profit may not be a lot if it has mineral rights. The signing bonus may be $1,000,000 for a gas lease (plus royalties).

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
The leases around here may be worthless if Dominion gets approval for their storage wells they want to put in. They would effectively ban drilling through the level above the shale as it might vent their storage wells. Was a big meeting about it in the town last night but I was too busy in the field to go.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Spent the last few hours picking rocks and some of them were way big. Got about half of a 6 acre field done...
So you are you growing rocks for harvest? If you leave them set longer in the field, like till September or October do they mature and get bigger?

Or is it like zucchini, let them get too big and its just too much of a good thing?

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
So you are you growing rocks for harvest? If you leave them set longer in the field, like till September or October do they mature and get bigger?

Or is it like zucchini, let them get too big and its just too much of a good thing?
Smartass! When I bought this place the Amish guy told me that field was pretty rocky. He was not kidding. I have taken 6 bucket loads with the backhoe off already. Now that we have plowed I will disc it and take more with the RTV cause the backhoe is too heavy(17,000 lbs.) and compresses tracks everywhere you go. First pass with the disc does not get all the tracks. Will do another pass in straight runs and then switch to diagonal runs to break it down finer. Hope to be ready for seed by Friday or Saturday as they are calling for more rain.

SShepherd

muscle sore..welcome to my life:clap:

Drink atleast a gallon of water

get a potassium suppliment from the store ( or eat a bananna a day if you can)

and stretch...alot. it's not going to take it away, but it will help you recover alot faster.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Bill - Have you considered buying or renting a rock hound for your skidsteer? A golf course rock picker is another option.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Wife is going to see if she can get a couple Amish kids For this afternoon. She can run the RTV and let them load it up while I disc a second pass. I did 5 loads myself with the RTV this morning then switched to discing till lunch time. Need some more tylenol before I go back out!:hammer:

Cowboy

Wait for it.
GOLD Site Supporter
Wife is going to see if she can get a couple Amish kids For this afternoon. She can run the RTV and let them load it up while I disc a second pass. I did 5 loads myself with the RTV this morning then switched to discing till lunch time. Need some more tylenol before I go back out!:hammer:
Bummer on the hurtin there MM. I'm in kind of the same shape with my shoulder and elbow recently and worse then normal . My wife got me some Tylenol "Precise" pain releiving ointment I have been using the last few days . It smells like bengay but doesn't have the same effect it seems to actually releive the pain some more then the way bengay just makes it bareable if that makes sense .

Might be worth a try if you can put up with the smell ,its 7 bucks a tube but a lil goes a long way and the only way I been able to run my weedeater the last few days. :wink:

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I'm joining you in the soreness Bill.

Firewood for 3-5 hours, garden for 1, canning and household for 4-6 then spending the evenings doing electrical for a friend.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
I just finished discing the field and am done picking rock today. Had to come up and take a vicodin for the pain. I am sore from the back of my legs to my neck.Got to do another round of rock picking but the kids down the hollow must be working offsite building a big shed somewhere. Nobody around when the wife stopped there.

Rusty Shackleford

Automotive M.D.
SUPER Site Supporter
Mule. You need to sit back this evening, on the porch, with a cold, fresh brewed ice tea, and a nice cigar. you will be feeling just fine :biggrin:

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Have you ever picked 4 pickup loads of rocks in one day? Going to take more than ice tea for that buddy! Maybe I can catch the kids for tomorrow if I stop down later. I am definitely getting too old and worn for this shit. Will be great to get this field planted as it was my poorest hayfield and plenty rough to mow. Fresh seeding of clover should be good for 4-5 years of good hay before it needs redone. If I could afford it I would do the big 20 acre one next to the Amish place down in the valley. Clover seed runs $1.92 per lb. and it takes 12 lb. per acre plus fertilizer or lime which is even more.:hammer:

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
You can be my bestest friend ever if you come help pick rocks. I will even spring for beer for you!:flowers::flowers::flowers:

Rusty Shackleford

Automotive M.D.
SUPER Site Supporter
I would if I was local to you. Dont even hafta buy beer, I would do pro bono. but, alas, i am a few blocks away...

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
And you have important duties with Lith laid up. She will need some help for a while till she heals. Glad her spirits seem better today.