• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

4 dudes on serious diets !

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Question here Bob. Melon has Type I diabetes I think? What you ate is something she cannot. How does she handle others eating what she can't? Does it bother her or do you eat like that when she is not around?

Actually she can eat anything she wants as long as she takes an appropriate dose of insulin. When we cook we do tend to make things with lower sugar content, use reduced carbohydrate recipes, etc. In the case of this cheesecake it is actually dairy free (I am allergic to milk/cheese/cream) and is also carb reduced. So she and I both ate some of this cheesecake. Its not low calorie, but it is lower carb and reduced dairy.

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
I think all of us should keep this thread going. A little contest between all. I hit a plateau and it is killing me. It has been about 4 weeks now with no loss what so ever. Today I stepped on the scale and I was 5 pounds lighter than yesterday morning. I wish the weather would cooperate as it is way too cold and rainy to go outside and run or ride bike.

I agree ! Lets keep it going . Anybody else want to join in ?

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I've been yoyo'ing but was at the doc's last week and I've dropped 6 pounds since I last saw him 6 weeks ago. :D I was happy. He said a pound a week is great if I can continue that pace. I would like more / faster, but I know he's right.
I'm in! :beer: :D

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
I had jumped up 14 lbs. after the surgery but it was fluid buildup in my legs and feet. Got 9 lbs. off so far but today was the first I could bet socks on my feet. They are tight tedd stockings for fluid problems. I have been eating more vegetables and trying to cut down on the water. My meds tend to make me thirsty a lot.

Kwiens

I'll join in the fun!!

I had a partial shoulder replacement in December, 2009 called a Copeland. During the fall I had been losing weight but I regressed in February, March and April. I'm back on the horse again wanting/needing to lose a total of 100 pounds. I had lost 45 but gained a few, or more, back.

Muleman, what type of surgery did you have? Water weight can be deadly.

K

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
No scale here in Panama but I figure I have dropped about 5- 10 pounds a month while I been here .I was down over 57 before leaving in March when we arrived here . I would venture to guess I am down about a total of 70- 80 pounds now . I sure feel better in some ways and more lousy in others . My shoulder is feeling better ,but I think that is because I worked it so hard . The dizziness from the vertigo seems to be acting up again and I have days I walk around like a drunken sailor. The one that brothers me the most is I been getting real dizzy and passing out . They are running some test to see what the heck is going on . I wake up with a extreme headache when this happens .It could be the meds I take for my heart as maybe I do not need as strong a dose since losing weight and they are slowing my heart down too much .

Overall , its all good ....:smile:

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Kwiens, I had a rotator cuff repair last Friday. The fluid is an ongoing problem from a heparin allergy that about killed me in 2007. I ended up with massive clotting in my legs and lungs and was a few days from having my left leg amputated. At that time they spent 3 1/2 weeks taking 60+ lbs of fluid off me. I was wrapped up in the biggest tightest ace bandages with cotton wrap under them for longer than I want to remember.weeks with legs elevated to force fluid back from them. Not something I want to go through again so I check my weight daily and wear my stockings anytime it goes up more than 3 lbs. My weight can jump 5 lbs in a day easiuly.

fogtender

Now a Published Author
Site Supporter
Kwiens, I had a rotator cuff repair last Friday. The fluid is an ongoing problem from a heparin allergy that about killed me in 2007. I ended up with massive clotting in my legs and lungs and was a few days from having my left leg amputated. At that time they spent 3 1/2 weeks taking 60+ lbs of fluid off me. I was wrapped up in the biggest tightest ace bandages with cotton wrap under them for longer than I want to remember.weeks with legs elevated to force fluid back from them. Not something I want to go through again so I check my weight daily and wear my stockings anytime it goes up more than 3 lbs. My weight can jump 5 lbs in a day easiuly.

Well hope you are on the good mend now....:flowers:

But I can gain five pounds from the vapors off a German Chocolate Cake within an hour.:whistling:

Kwiens

Mule,

I feel your pain!!! The excess fluid can kill you! I assume you're on meds for water retention. How many weeks of therapy do you have?

I had rotator cuff, slap and labrum repair surgery in August and when that didn't take care of the pain a partial shoulder replacement in December. I think 46 is too young for a shoulder replacement.

How's therapy? It hurt when I did mine. And I'm finally up to 25 pounds in my bench press....yeah!! :clap:

Wishing you a speedy recovery and a "pain-free" therapy.

K

K

fogtender

Now a Published Author
Site Supporter
Geeze, I can remember when all us guys talked about women, now it is about parts falling off and looking at AARP related magizines... This getting older stuff is for the birds...

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
As I get older I have learned more ways to have fun. They just hurt a hell of a lot more! Most of my meds are cardiac related. What really hurt was the cramping from Plavix withdrawal. The docs who charge $600 for a consult never heard of it. My lady FNP told me as soon as I called her at home what the trouble was. Took one pill and was fine till I had the surgery. They never heard of a heparin allergy before. I still wonder if it was more the junk stuff being imported from China in 2007. Why in the hell do we keep buying stuff from China? I sure don't trust their quality control on machined parts yet companies buy meds from them!!:hammer: Got down to 222 lbs. this morning but ankles are still swollen some.

Lia

Banned
I'm hanging in there but not loosing like I'd like to. I have lost 16 so far, and seem to be stuck. My new blood pressure med has a side effect of weight gain .. I think it's simply stopping me from loosing or I'm at a plateau and stuck for now. I've been here for to long now. I'm keeping on keeping on so I do expect results to change soon.
I have to take it off slow, as doing it fast simply means it will come back on fast. As others have said I realize it is a life change not a diet.
Anybody else notice that Monday's are the worst weigh in day? I never weigh myself on the weekends since my schedule changes ...so that means Monday I'll be up a pound or two and have to start off the week working that pound off AGAIN! I think I've lost that pound every week for the past month. To bad it does not count overall. :yum:

Interesting thread.

I have the other side of the problem. I'd like to put on a little more weight, but don't seem able to, no matter what or how much I eat; I'm not really underweight, but well, it's a girl thing... this may sound strange but I often forget to eat. lol. I get so caught up in work or a project that food is the last thing on my mind, and I am constantly nagged at by various folk around me.

But, you mention problems with your blood pressure Doc, and having adverse reactions to your meds for it. This is a subject that I'm trying to research. Recently, 8 to 10 months ago my Physician told me that my blood pressure was elevated.

I was shocked, and went thro all kinds of tests to find the cause of it, but nothing has come to light, except that I had been, and still am sometimes under extreme pressure with stress. I'm far from overweight, I run most evening's, when I'm home that is for up to an hour, and during the days try to run my three dogs over the field or thro the woods for, at the very least, an hour...

So far, of the two types of meds I have been prescribed I have taken severe reactions to the side effects of them, so we're currently back to square one, altho my Doc tells me that there are many different meds and that there must be one out there for me that won't make me feel so ill.

Question here Bob. Melon has Type I diabetes I think? What you ate is something she cannot. How does she handle others eating what she can't? Does it bother her or do you eat like that when she is not around?

I found your query interesting too murph... Eight years ago I went thro a bereavement, and developed a stomach ulcer about a year later... I guess it had been coming for some time. Anyway, because a stupid Physician prescribed Ibuprofen to me, which should never have been prescribed to someone with my condition, I developed dreadful intolerances and/or allergies to many foods; but, I love to cook, and often have dinner parties, where I cannot always have what I serve to my guests. This never really bothers me, I simply make two menu's and people can choose which they would prefer, so I don't really feel left out. Personally, I don't find that I hanker after what others are eating in front of me, but I do yearn for an egg now and again, oh, and some cheese... :sad:

But, to you all that are fighting with your weight, and missing out, you don't need to... I have a friend who lost several stones/pounds by following the Paul McKenna link below. You can eat what you like, when you like. I know it worked for her, because I went to her wedding last year and was amazed by how much weight she had lost. Hey, what harm can it do to look? And besides, chunky is sexy!!!

In any event, good luck all of you with your diets. :flowers:

[ame="http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-383834256176536312"]http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-383834256176536312[/ame]#

Lia

Banned
Well then if Chunky is sexy I am then your maaaaaaaaan :clap::clap::clap: :whistling::whistling: :flowers::flowers: Yeah Baby Yeah :thumb:

Gee, honey, you were always on my list anyway... right up there with Russell Crowe and the Irreverent Reverend Shnorr! :brows:

But shhhhh!!!! let's keep this between ourselves, don't wanna make Mel and Kimi jealous. :whistling:

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gee, honey, you were always on my list anyway... right up there with Russell Crowe and the Irreverent Reverend Shnorr! :brows:

But shhhhh!!!! let's keep this between ourselves, don't wanna make Mel and Kimi jealous. :whistling:

Russel Crowe huh? Kewl.

As for Mel and Kimi don't worry about them two. :yum::yum:

Lia

Banned
As for Mel and Kimi don't worry about them two. :yum::yum:

Your right! I see it all now... they just ain't up to these two, are they? :whistling:

Crowe, Shnorr and I simply couldn't resist adding Tommy Lee Jones. :smile:

Attachments

• Russell Crowe.jpg
    Russell Crowe.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 140
  • Rev Shnorr.jpg
    Rev Shnorr.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 141
  • Tommy Lee Jones.jpg
    Tommy Lee Jones.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 138

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Well then if Chunky is sexy I am then your maaaaaaaaan :clap::clap::clap: :whistling::whistling: :flowers::flowers: Yeah Baby Yeah :thumb:

Murph is sexy ???? At his puny weight??? If he is sexy than I must be the "Eye Candy" For every woman out there ....:unsure:No wonder that they pass out when they see me :clap::w00t2::w00t2::w00t2:

Lia

Banned
Murph is sexy ???? At his puny weight??? If he is sexy than I must be the "Eye Candy" For every woman out there ....:unsure:No wonder that they pass out when they see me :clap::w00t2::w00t2::w00t2:

Shhh!!!! Now look, don't go and burst his bubble! he's er... fragile. :whistling:

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
Your right! I see it all now... they just ain't up to these two, are they? :whistling:

Crowe, Shnorr and I simply couldn't resist adding Tommy Lee Jones. :smile:

Ok here is how I see it. Crowe would give me a run for my money. Them other two you picked wouldn't have a chance. :hide: :yum::yum: Ok they all have way more money than me so I guess I would lose. :bonk:

Lia

Banned
Ok here is how I see it. Crowe would give me a run for my money. Them other two you picked wouldn't have a chance. :hide: :yum::yum: Ok they all have way more money than me so I guess I would lose. :bonk:

Ouch! That was a bit er... of-key, even for you! lol. We girls, (the nice girls), ain't interested in money when it comes to guys... and let me tell you, looks don't come into it either!

So there! :p

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
I have no money and not much on looks either. For some reason most women like me.....:brows:

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
So how are some of you changing your habits to lose weight ?

I think we all have tried that fad diet where you eat Exlax and drink Prune juice and lose 26 pounds in 4 1/2 hours . Maybe not that one , but you know what I mean .

My wife use to make a big meal and set it down on the table and we would eat .......until it was all gone . After going to a nutionist(sp) we have learned a better way . Sure we still watch our caloric intake , but now Karen prepares the plates in the kitchen and there are no seconds . We have learned portion control which is very important .No snacking after 5PM really helps a lot. Add to that a routine of excerise and we are on a road to weight loss .

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Portion size helps a lot. We cut our meat size quite a bit with this last cow. We try to make more from different food groups in smaller amounts. Makes for more leftovers and doggie treats. Wife has lost almost 30 lbs. in the last 6 months. I can get in her pants without unsnapping them!:whistling::yum: We both splurged on new underwear as I cant stand shorts that fall down. She picked up some smaller size jeans as incentive to keep losing. We cut back on snacks and eat more vegetables as snacks. We dried some apples and other stuff instead of chips. Once the garden is producing we plan to eat more salads. I can't eat produce unless I raise my own. Too many horror stories about imported stuff.

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
Portion Portion Portion. That is it for me and am staying away from the carbs if I can.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Yes, portion is a big part of it.
Any of you have any tricks on how to help cut back on portions?

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
Yes, portion is a big part of it.
Any of you have any tricks on how to help cut back on portions?

I put our large plates away so we can't use them. Cut the plate in half then in half again. Your greens take the 50%, starchy vegetables take 25% and the food can only be the size of the palm of your hand the other 25% is your meat and can only be the size of a deck of cards. If your out eating and they bring to large of a plate and meal ask for a doggie bag right away before you start eating and take away the amount larger than what your supposed to eat before you start eating. That way it isn't there for you to pick on while your waiting at the end.

Ok before some smart guy asks if I literally cut the plate in portions No I don't. It is imaginary.

Lia

Banned
Well, I guess you could just cook childrens sized portions; or, you could drink two large glasses of water just before dinner is actually served so that you will feel full before you actually sit down...

Imagine for example that you are sitting across from a starving child, and that you want to leave some food on the plate for said child; I would think that that would definitely dull one's appetite...

Chew food thoroughly. It's a proven fact that mastication helps aid digestion and also makes one feel full sooner, so one eats less; the more you chew the less bloated you will feel.

Good luck guys... :flowers:

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
"Chew food thoroughly. It's a proven fact that mastication helps aid digestion and also makes one feel full sooner, so one eats less; the more you chew the less bloated you will feel."
What?? you think we still have teeth??:yum::yum::yum:

Lia

Banned
What?? you think we still have teeth??:yum::yum::yum:

Well, quite. I know poor murph doesn't, his avatar is testimony to that sad fact. :whistling: but yes, I did rather assume that y'all have teeth, I mean being the daughter of an Orthodontist I happen to know that they've got these marvelous contraptions nowadays that mirror, and simulate teeth... :wink:

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
I used to work for Dentsply designing plastic teeth molds and machining them on CNC machines. They made 250,000 teeth a day at just that one plant. Often wondered where in the hell they sold all of them at.