• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Need your advice ~~ RE: Smoking

NATO123

Banned
My husband is a chain smoker.Could you please give him an advice to stop this.
i tried but couldn't .
Thanks

Last edited:

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Re: Need your advice

He ain't stopping until HE wants too. Education, both health and financially should assist in your effort.................... Good Luck!

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter

He ain't stopping until HE wants too.
Truer words were never spoken.

My wife was a smoker for 15 years of her life. I've never smoked a cigarette but would smoke high quality cigars socially, at work, but never at home/in the house and almost never in her presence (even though she knew very well that I smoked them). Her cigarette smoking used to make me nuts but absolutely nothing I said/did would have any impact on her. She finally decided for herself that she wanted to quit. It was not until then that she actually tried, and actually did quit.

Now I smoke only the occasional cigar, perhaps a few a year (less than 1 a month) but I keep them in a humidor at proper temp/humidity for the very rare times when I smoke them.

NATO123

Banned

Truer words were never spoken.

My wife was a smoker for 15 years of her life. I've never smoked a cigarette but would smoke high quality cigars socially, at work, but never at home/in the house and almost never in her presence (even though she knew very well that I smoked them). Her cigarette smoking used to make me nuts but absolutely nothing I said/did would have any impact on her. She finally decided for herself that she wanted to quit. It was not until then that she actually tried, and actually did quit.

Now I smoke only the occasional cigar, perhaps a few a year (less than 1 a month) but I keep them in a humidor at proper temp/humidity for the very rare times when I smoke them.

Yes I realised that is the best thing.Leaving it to him till he realise the harm
thanks

cowgirl

Silver Member
Site Supporter
I quit smoking about 1 1/2 years ago. I can tell you from experience that the only way someone can actually quit is if they really want to. Quitting smoking was the hardest thing I have every done. It takes a lot of will power.

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
I quit smoking about 1 1/2 years ago. I can tell you from experience that the only way someone can actually quit is if they really want to. Quitting smoking was the hardest thing I have every done. It takes a lot of will power.

I can't say from experience, since I've never smoked, but you must be right. My step-mother is one of the sweetest, nicest people anyone will ever meet but she just can't (won't?) stop smoking. It's driving my dad nuts because her mother died of lung cancer, her father died of lung cancer, her sister has lung cancer and her brother died of lung cancer. Talk about running in the family! Anyway, she just can't seem to quit. Just a few months ago they found "a spot" on one of her lungs but she still smokes.

We all really care for her and it makes it so hard because we honestly fear that she will die very young (mid 50's) from smoking. She obviously picked up smoking from all her relatives, but they all died from it. She has one sister who is an RN and they squabble each time they talk. Her sister is the only one in the family who never smoked and she too is at a loss at how she can get her sister to stop killing herself. As said earlier, we all believe that she will never stop until she really wants to stop. Now we are afraid that she feels that she has already killed herself anyway, so what does it matter. It's sad.

cowgirl

Silver Member
Site Supporter
My best friend is just like that. Her mother died of lung cancer. Even when her mom could barely breath she still smoked. My best friend stated seeing her mom die at a young age was horrible, but she just can't seem to quit smoking herself.

I am lucky since my lungs are still in good shape. I quit before I did any major damage. I don't think I will ever smoke again, since I never want to go through quitting again.

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
I started smoking when I was 14. We had a local store that pretty much sold them to anyone thinking we were taking them home to our parents.

As I grew older smoking and alcohol got to me. I got to where if I had a drink I wouldn't quit until there just was no more to get. I could go on for days.

But one morning after a week end bash I went to work and started puking blood. At about ten that morning I threw my cigarettes in the waste basket, then went home and poured all the alcohol down the kitchen sink. It was 20 years later that I finally had a beer. Now a glass of wine or a beer once in a while is ok with me. I am talking about once every 3 months. The cigarettes was much tougher, I would always break down and buy a pack take one out and throw the rest of them away. It took about 3 months before I finally stopped sneaking one every once in a while. I tried one about ten years ago and got sick. But even after 25 years there is times I would like to have one, I still miss it some.

murph

Spiffy1

Huh?
SUPER Site Supporter
Just show him Murph's avatar and tell him that is a self portrait and the result of too many years smoking......

NATO123

Banned
I started smoking when I was 14. We had a local store that pretty much sold them to anyone thinking we were taking them home to our parents.

As I grew older smoking and alcohol got to me. I got to where if I had a drink I wouldn't quit until there just was no more to get. I could go on for days.

But one morning after a week end bash I went to work and started puking blood. At about ten that morning I threw my cigarettes in the waste basket, then went home and poured all the alcohol down the kitchen sink. It was 20 years later that I finally had a beer. Now a glass of wine or a beer once in a while is ok with me. I am talking about once every 3 months. The cigarettes was much tougher, I would always break down and buy a pack take one out and throw the rest of them away. It took about 3 months before I finally stopped sneaking one every once in a while. I tried one about ten years ago and got sick. But even after 25 years there is times I would like to have one, I still miss it some.

murph
Thanks Murph

NATO123

Banned
I can't say from experience, since I've never smoked, but you must be right. My step-mother is one of the sweetest, nicest people anyone will ever meet but she just can't (won't?) stop smoking. It's driving my dad nuts because her mother died of lung cancer, her father died of lung cancer, her sister has lung cancer and her brother died of lung cancer. Talk about running in the family! Anyway, she just can't seem to quit. Just a few months ago they found "a spot" on one of her lungs but she still smokes.

We all really care for her and it makes it so hard because we honestly fear that she will die very young (mid 50's) from smoking. She obviously picked up smoking from all her relatives, but they all died from it. She has one sister who is an RN and they squabble each time they talk. Her sister is the only one in the family who never smoked and she too is at a loss at how she can get her sister to stop killing herself. As said earlier, we all believe that she will never stop until she really wants to stop. Now we are afraid that she feels that she has already killed herself anyway, so what does it matter. It's sad.
Thanks I am missarable in this case.

NATO123

Banned

even they see the result they don't want to qit.They addicted to.So as my Husband.Thanks for the post

NATO123

Banned

murph
I honur your self confidence.Thanks for the post

Ice Queen

Bronze Member
SUPER Site Supporter
Can't really comment, I am a smoker myself, but I don't smoke chains, only cigarettes.

working woman

Site Supporter
My husband is a chain smoker.Could you please give him an advice to stop this.
i tried but couldn't .
Thanks

Some of the people hit the nail on the head. No matter how much nagging you do it is up to him to really want to quit. There is a presp. pill he can take if you can get tim to the doctor.

Here is a good one for you. My late husband died four years ago from lung cancer. For many years I begged and pleaded for him to quit smoking. One of his doctors (many many years before he had cancer) actually took the time and explained to him in graphic detail what smoking does to the body. It scared the crap out of him, but not enough to quit.

So since he wouldn't listen to me or his doctor, I just started asking him what color did he want his oxygen tank? A variety of colors to go with his clothes? and every time I found a nail I'd hand it to him and say, here's a nail for your coffin.

His attitude was that it cant happen to me. Everytime he had a physical his lungs were clear. The sad part is that lung cancer can be a sneaky thing. It wasn't until it had eaten his femur bone and skull did they catch it. By then it was to late. In the lymph system.
I just looked at him with tears in my eyes and said in a very quiet voice. I told you so, if only you would have listen to me.

It wasn't until he had to have a titanium rod in his femur bone(so it wouldn't snap in to) did he quit smoking. He only lasted 18 months after that.

Not only could this happen to your husband, but the family members have to go through it too.

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks for your post Judy. I sort of hoped that you wouldn't see this thread after all you went through. I'm so sorry for what all you had to go through. You are very strong. I'm sure you also know exactly who I'm talking about in my story. She's the nicest lady I ever met, but she just can't/won't quit. Her mom used to babysit my kids before she moved away and later died. She constantly was on to Tia to quit; even on her deathbed. I'm hoping it isn't too late, but I'm concerned it may be.

working woman

Site Supporter
Thanks for your post Judy. I sort of hoped that you wouldn't see this thread after all you went through. I'm so sorry for what all you had to go through. You are very strong. I'm sure you also know exactly who I'm talking about in my story. She's the nicest lady I ever met, but she just can't/won't quit. Her mom used to babysit my kids before she moved away and later died. She constantly was on to Tia to quit; even on her deathbed. I'm hoping it isn't too late, but I'm concerned it may be.

You know what? if sharing my story can help just one person to quit smoking then its worth it. Its never easy to rehash sad memories, but at the same time it may save some one else from living through a horrible and sensless death.
coulple of years ago, before I moved back ( the day you were helping your dad with his water break) I had a nice chat with Tia. She admitted it scared her, but apparentely not enough to quit.

NATO123

Banned
It's a very sad story.I can't explain how I feel.I am so sorry dear and that thing could be happened to me also.
Sure i'll show this to him tonight.
Thanks a lot.

If he is, or has become a chain smoker, he could be smoking too much.
But to stop smoking, after smoking many years, might not be good either.

Our cells become less able to do their best, more each year. This includes the cells of the digestive tract. This means you become more like "Native Americans that had a more exclusive maize diet", each year as you age.

Man has learned to change the poison that the plants produce to defend themselves against predators into required vitamins/substances by oxidation. This fact becomes obvious to anyone taking the time to learn it. It is not something I came up with. It is well-documented.

The books say when you oxidation nicotine you get a vitamin. The pharmaceutical companies were not an option in the past. There is a lot of evidence indicating the symptoms associated with a deficiency of niacin, are diminished in the smoker. I think that's evidence the smoker is getting niacin.

NIACIN = Nicotinic acid- Biochem. A colorless, water soluble compound, C6 H5 NO2, prepared by the oxidation of nicotine and forming part of the vitamin B complex, used to prevent pellagra.

PELLAGRA - PATHOL. A disease characterized by gastric disturbance,
skin eruptions, etc..., caused by a deficiency of nicotinic acid.

Not only is a smoker getting a required vitamin, but through the exercise of smoking he boosts his red blood cell count which allows the transfer of needed elements at a higher rate. During the act of smoking, the body senses a lack of oxygen like if you went up into the mountains, and calls for more red blood cells. Hindus have an exercise where they hold your breath to accomplish this.

Yet this goes unmentioned in the smoking debates.

Its just hard to except the behavior of so-called educated doctors, when the facts become known.

So from the study of the facts, some old, some new, one can see, that to smoke is another way to keep the doctor away. But its the goal of the AMA to raise the doctors pay. And as our ancestors have implied by smoking, if you want it done right, do it yourself.

~ SMOKING - USE IT - DON'T ABUSE IT ~

Last edited:

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
So from the study of the facts, some old, some new, one can see, that to smoke is another way to keep the doctor away. But its the goal of the AMA to raise the doctors pay. And as our ancestors have implied by smoking, if you want it done right, do it yourself.

~ SMOKING - USE IT - DON'T ABUSE IT ~

The hell??? :yum: :yum:

I certainly hope someone is trying to be butt ass funny for some reason.

American Woman

Site Supporter
I over heard a conversation the other day where a lady was saying her husband sucked menthol cough drops like crazy and kept a pencil in his hands for the fidgeting....and she said he quit....I don't smoke and never have, so I don't know if this is a crock or what.....sounded good anyway

My husband is a chain smoker.

Another thought I've had that might help you understand what's going on with your husband's health, is that people's behavior can be read as signs of certain conditions. His increase in smoking may be due to poor eating. This is why soldiers and cowboys always/mainly smoked, to make-up for, or cover for not eating as well as they would at home. But a good woman should know this. I'm sort-of joking with that last part, but making sure he's eating good would not hurt. And like I said, as we age, our bodies may be helped by foods easier to digest. Higher in proteins, and meats through a blender first. He may be having problems with teeth, and not chewing the food like he has been. And this is really what you are noticing. But we can only hope to help by guessing, sharing ideas.

NATO123

Banned
Thanks a lot for the reply.And different from the other replies.As I accepted all the others advices, I appeciate your openion as well.
Sure I 'll show your post to my husband also.
And your reply was keenly approached to the subject with scientific explanations .That was an interesting to go through.
And ha ha You gave yet another hint to think about my cooking.
Why he eat less.You are correct.May be my cooking is not mouth watering.yes,Some times he says about my cooking like this."Now I can eat prison meal also without hesitation"
Sure he will laugh at me reading those lines and agree with you.
Thank you so much.