• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Quit smoking?

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Yep, what Mulely said. Whatever works for you is what you want to stick with. I quit cold turkey before fake cigs and all that hoopla. A day a time, each 10 minutes at a time. If you could do without one the past 10 minutes what is different with the current 10 minutes. YOU CAN DO IT!!!!!!!!!!

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Well I'll be darned! If I knew it would have been this easy, I'd have quit years ago. All kidding aside, I haven't had a cigarette since monday afternoon. I have no real cravings for it. More like "Hey, somethings missing!" but that only lasts a couple seconds. I'm determined this time. Gonna do it!!!

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Carry some lifesavers or hard candy for those times when you find yourself wanting one.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Well I'll be darned! If I knew it would have been this easy, I'd have quit years ago. All kidding aside, I haven't had a cigarette since monday afternoon. I have no real cravings for it. More like "Hey, somethings missing!" but that only lasts a couple seconds. I'm determined this time. Gonna do it!!!

Carry some lifesavers or hard candy for those times when you find yourself wanting one.

As someone trying to quit...
First of all, that Chantix prescription costs as much as smoking ($150ish/month) but I still use it. It does help. (except the side effects)
I don't smoke much anymore unless I have a drink. Then, all bets are off.
I gained not less then 10% weight. I started at 165 and now weigh almost 185.
My dentist/periodontist may have a shit-fit when they see the teeth grinding I've been doing.

All that said... I'm quitting. Don't have a cut-off date yet but have gone from a pack a day to 1 smoke every day or 2 (unless I have a drink....).

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
I figure I'll try to do the cold turkey thing now before spring rolls around and I'm out there fishing and camping and sitting around the fire. Sorta give myself a couple month head start so I'm used to not smoking when it's beer season...:wink:

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Keep up the good work....

Some day you may face the temptation. Just don't....

Good on you:smile:

Regards, Kirk

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Day 15!!! Still holding strong!!! Hardly had any cravings. But when I do, I go to the men's locker room and forget all about smoking. Course, I may want a smoke even more after venturing over to the Locker room.:brows:

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
As someone trying to quit...
First of all, that Chantix prescription costs as much as smoking ($150ish/month) but I still use it. It does help. (except the side effects)
I don't smoke much anymore unless I have a drink. Then, all bets are off.
I gained not less then 10% weight. I started at 165 and now weigh almost 185.
My dentist/periodontist may have a shit-fit when they see the teeth grinding I've been doing.

All that said... I'm quitting. Don't have a cut-off date yet but have gone from a pack a day to 1 smoke every day or 2 (unless I have a drink....).

Congratulations! As someone who never smoked, I obviously would not have any idea how difficult it is. All I know is that almost everyone who proclaimed to me that they were quitting seemed to mean 'for the next hour or so'. I think I mentioned earlier, and am too lazy to look, but one of my top employees smoked for probably 30 years. One day she says she's decided that she wants to quit 'for me' (meaning herself).

I simply told her great and good luck; completely expecting her to still be smoking later that day. To my complete and total shock, it must be close to two years or more and she has still has not smoked. She used that prescription you mentioned but, other than that, just quit cold turkey for her own personal reasons. About a year later she told me that her two boys were quickly reaching their teen years and it struck her that they, statistically, would smoke because she does (her husband never did). She also noticed that she was getting more wrinkles, her voice was deeper than it was, and she was starting to pick up a cough.

Since she quit, I have to take her word on it when she tells me that she'd tried many times in the past and was never successful until she truly wanted to quit for herself. My step mother is one of the sweetest women I know, and I knew her about 15 years before she met and married my dad about 15 years ago, and she just can't seem to quit even though both her parents and two siblings of hers have died in their 50's from lung cancer. She's now in her mid 50's and is "still trying". It's driving my dad nuts because he knows, with her family history, it will likely kill her; and soon.

The lady I mentioned who works for me and quit tells me that my step mother will never quit until she really decides she wants to quit; no outside pressure would help. I can honestly say I really hope she does because I'd really hate to see her die so young, but I've never said anything to her. I'm still taking the advice that she needs to decide herself that she wants to quit, therefore, I've never spoken to her about quitting. Is that the right thing for me to do?

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
I am proud to report that I have not had a smoke since february 20th. Doing good! Very rarely do I get a craving now.

Mr. Bill

I quit. I start back up. That is my routine. I made it 4 years then started back up. Quit again for 6 months after smoking for a few years but then went right back. Tried to quit last week and made it 2 days and was very agitated. Now Im at buying them pack at a time. This pack will run out sometime tomorow. I plan on quiting for good but its such a bitch to quit. I may need prozac.

Good Luck
Bill

Danang Sailor

nullius in verba
GOLD Site Supporter
I had my last cigarette 4/19/07; quit with the help of Zyban. Every now and then a craving will still hit, but if I ignore it, it will go away. It's nice to be able to smell flowers, rain (etc.) like I could when I was a kid.

Hang in there ... it's worth the effort!

AAUTOFAB1

Bronze Member
SUPER Site Supporter
If you enjoy smoking but don't want to die from lung cancer:flowers:,try a modified e-cigarette(not the little pen style ones that look like a cigarette) i have been smoke free since 9/21/2011 when i tried them with my mother in law as she has dementia/Alzheimer's and had become a fire hazard:sad:,i tried various types of e-cigarettes and found many of them to lack the nicotine hit and battery life that my addiction required.i finally purchased a prodigy V3 and i have not looked back :biggrin: and i am finally getting back in shape physically , i know it works as i am now running with out coughing and my stamina is getting better, i had tried to quit so many times that i had given up until a friend of mine said if you can't quit then just use the nicotine not the carcinogens and tar that comes with cigarettes.as for my mother inlaw... she forgot she was a smoker:unsure:

the battery's are 3.7 volt or 6 volt and last more than a full 24 hours with one charge( this was a big deal for me),unlike the little pen style e-cigarettes the V3 produces so much more vapor and flavor with way more flavors to choose from here...

http://www.puresmoker.com/

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
It's easy to quit smoking.

I'll bet I did it hundreds of times.

But then in 2000 I started our new plant and wanted it to be 100% smoke free. I wasn't gonna ask of my people more than would do myself.

Cold turkey stopped.

Haven't missed it yet.

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
I started when I was 13. Probably quit a hundred times or so until age 24. On a Monday morning one day after a long four day drunk I started puking blood all over the place. It was that day I figured I was addicted o alcohol and obviously the cigarettes. About 10:00 that morning I threw my cigarettes in the waste basket and when at home that night dumped all the alcohol in my house down the drain. Being sicker than a dog gave me a few days head start on quitting. I am 55 now and just in the last five years I will have a beer now and then. Cigarettes not yet and no plans to.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Good show! I'm still smoke free since Feb 20th. Rarely if ever get a craving. Don't get me wrong..when I'm outside working on something and am having a nice time with it, it was sure nice to walk away and light one up to relax and refocus. I don't miss it much though. The odd time, I think..."Geez, would be nice to sit out on the deck with a beer and a smoke" but that only lasts a couple seconds.

luvs

'lil yinzer~
GOLD Site Supporter
great job to those that have quit, & those that really intend to. think of the $ spent. $8.50/pack from a machine here! putting that money aside is a motivator. when u count the amount that would have gone into them in a year, that's a vacation. wait 5 years & look @ on if u were on 1-2 pks./day, a new vehicle.
after several years, the odor is kinda stomach-turning. tried a few again, 'jus as there was a new type & was intrigued. ew! they were not pleasant.

luvs

'lil yinzer~
GOLD Site Supporter
mama, guys give them to me, & my friends that're women offer them when we chit-chat & have a few drinks- soon, (very recently), i found myself buying them again.

Danang Sailor

nullius in verba
GOLD Site Supporter
After over 40 years of smoking I had my last one on April 13th -- 2007! And there are still times when a craving hits, even six
years later. But, I ignore it and keep on truckin'!
dvOKMIQIIYzBD2tZdXV1XV1dXV1dbW1tTU3NrVu3bty40dPzZFf+XzUvm9fSlDD6AAAAAElFTkSuQmCC
attachment.php
gVbzQAAAABJRU5ErkJggg==

dvOKMIQIIYzBD2tZdXV1XV1dXV1dbW1tTU3NrVu3bty40dPzZFf+XzUvm9fSlDD6AAAAAElFTkSuQmCC

Luvs, you can kick it as soon as something else becomes more important. For me, it was being alive to see my youngest
get his doctorate. (Which has been sidelined due to medical issues, but will still happen ... someday.)

ki0ho

GOLD Site Supporter
I quit when they hit 35 cents a pack.......I had kids at home that needed shoes socks dresses ect.....school books[had to buy them then!!] 6 or 8 packs a day added up and to me the kids came first so I gave what I had away and have never picked them up again.......now copenhagen...that is a nother story!!!!!!!! seldom spit and went cold turky after 4or5 cans a day........ended up in the hospital over that.......and if I smell it I want it to this day........probably make me sick as a dog though if I took a dip again........I was also told to drink all the water i could hold to get away from snuff.......... what made me quit snuff was I ment a man that had no lower jaw from canser from snuff..........If ya realy want to quit.....it has to be cold turky....nothing else will work.......YA GOT TO WANT TO....