• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Bob Barr on Health Care

Spiffy1

Huh?
SUPER Site Supporter
Just curious, is there any tax benefit?

I'm no accountant so forgive the shortcomings:

The simple answer yes, the long answer maybe;

Yes [though as Sushi implied if auditted you'll likely need reciepts to prove it legit, but the eligible organizations range from churches to universities and almost everything imaginable in between]; however:

at one end of the spectrum there is the "standard deduction" a single figure already assuming a modest combination of expenses and donations ect., so if you're using that, no you don't yeild further financial gain.

On the other end, I believe there are some limits, or at least some percent that would generate an audit.

Back to the simple answer, if you're expecing to pay at a 20% rate, then the donated amount [including value of material items and milage] would be that much less you'd pay on: yielding a 20% [not to mention potential gains from a lower bracket] reward.

Compared to the expense [even without waste] of beaucrats doling it out, I'd say the 'reward' is quite cheap for the federal government.

Spiffy1

Huh?
SUPER Site Supporter
Nope simple question , do you feel guilty of something?

I never factor it into the decision when giving to a charity, but do always add everything up at tax time to see whether I make out better itemizing or taking the standard.

daedong

Nope, zero guilt, but I did grow up in the projects outside of Boston. I know what it's like to be poor and to not have healthcare. More here... http://www.forumsforums.com/3_9/showthread.php?p=102231

You?

Don't talk much about my past as a kid, but I did grow up in a government rental home in a working class town, would never describe my childhood as poor but played with plenty of kids that came from very humble homes so to speak.

daedong

Read your post. You are one lucky guy to have done so well in life as you have, unfortunately you are the exception rather than the rule.

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
Nope, zero guilt, but I did grow up in the projects outside of Boston. I know what it's like to be poor and to not have healthcare. More here... http://www.forumsforums.com/3_9/showthread.php?p=102231

You?

I didn't grow up in any projects but my mom and dad had very poor insurance with their youngest child at 2 years old getting epilepsy. It drained us because barely any of her medical expenses were paid for. She went to being severally brain damaged from the epilepsy. But even if they could have afforded better health insurance no one would take us because of pre-existing conditions.

daedong

I didn't grow up in any projects but my mom and dad had very poor insurance with their youngest child at 2 years old getting epilepsy. It drained us because barely any of her medical expenses were paid for. She went to being severally brain damaged from the epilepsy. But even if they could have afforded better health insurance no one would take us because of pre-existing conditions.

Sorry to hear that. This is why I am so greatful for the system we have, One you would have had very good public cover no matter what, and if you wanted private cover you would not be denied it due to a pre-existing condition.

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
Sorry to hear that. This is why I am so greatful for the system we have, One you would have had very good public cover no matter what, and if you wanted private cover you would not be denied it due to a pre-existing condition.

The pre-existing crap is now gone at least in Minnesota. You can no longer be denied because of a pre-existing illness. A lot of employers pay for their employees like I do. I offer for the rest of the family and they get a good rate but they do have to pay for that portion.