• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Diluted Paint on Stone Fireplace project

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
So our Goddaughter is graduating from high school.

Her parents are in a total panic over the condition of their house. I dunno why. Its a nice house. Not huge, not fancy, but its a damn nice house. The mom is talking to the lovely Mrs_Bob about doing some last minute redecorating and one thing leads to another and the next thing I know I am involved :idea:

They have stone fireplace wall. The stones are tan colored. They repainted the room in whites, greys and black.

I got "volun-told" that I was staining the stone grey. 50% water, 50% grey paint. The process, as my wife told me was described in some unknown YouTube video, is to paint a few stones, then to wipe them down with a rag. Repeat with the next few stones. Smooth stones get rolled with the rags, but rough stones get wiped with the rag. Wiping a smooth stone takes off too much of the paint solution.

I think it came out pretty well. 2 of us painting/wiping and we got it done in about 4 hours.

Attachments

• SZR+jJshTY+4B83oB2O8uQ.jpg
    SZR+jJshTY+4B83oB2O8uQ.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 31
  • pqeHpiJuQWGP%kAE75mjVg.jpg
    pqeHpiJuQWGP%kAE75mjVg.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 29
  • Sw%6dYvGRTqzLhXiaVLblg.jpg
    Sw%6dYvGRTqzLhXiaVLblg.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 32

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
So our Goddaughter is graduating from high school.

Her parents are in a total panic over the condition of their house. I dunno why. Its a nice house. Not huge, not fancy, but its a damn nice house. The mom is talking to the lovely Mrs_Bob about doing some last minute redecorating and one thing leads to another and the next thing I know I am involved :idea:

They have stone fireplace wall. The stones are tan colored. They repainted the room in whites, greys and black.

I got "volun-told" that I was staining the stone grey. 50% water, 50% grey paint. The process, as my wife told me was described in some unknown YouTube video, is to paint a few stones, then to wipe them down with a rag. Repeat with the next few stones. Smooth stones get rolled with the rags, but rough stones get wiped with the rag. Wiping a smooth stone takes off too much of the paint solution.

I think it came out pretty well. 2 of us painting/wiping and we got it done in about 4 hours.
Looks great. Now all you have to do is stand that heavy Fireplace upright.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
And back on topic ...

So the paint we used was a regular Dutch Boy.

We did NOT want to cover and conceal the natural stone. By diluting it, the paint soaks into the porous stone and works sort of like wood stain. Using a rag to wipe it down makes sure the diluted paint gets into all the cracks and crevices and ALSO prevents the paint from covering up too much of the natural grain, or even the natural underlying color of the stones.

The first 2 photos show that the original stones ranged from light tan to brown. The darker brown stones stained up darker and had a brownish grey tint. The light tan stones came out light grey with no brown hues at all.

It is important to measure the paint to water ratio if you are coving a large area. We mixed up 1 pint of paint + 1 pint of water. If we needed to mix up more and did it without measuring we'd end up with either a thicker or thinner solution that would not match. So use your wife's best kitchen measuring cup and make sure your measurements are accurate!

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
I think I need a longer power cable on my iMac so I can tip it over onto it's side. :yum::th_lmao::yum::th_lmao:

Jim_S

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
I think I need a longer power cable on my iMac so I can tip it over onto it's side. :yum::th_lmao::yum::th_lmao:

I think I understand the problem. Bob wandered over the state line and purchased his phone in Cook County. Everyone knows things in Cook County are crooked! :th_lmao:

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
I think I understand the problem. Bob wandered over the state line and purchased his phone in Cook County. Everyone knows things in Cook County are crooked! :th_lmao:

Well, things seem to be getting better. It was getting to be real difficult to flip the monitor over 180 degrees. Not having to do that lately. :yum::th_lmao:

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
It is amazing what a little paint, paper and elbow grease can do to a domicile. And thats fairly cheap to do.

More expensive is changing the furniture, much like changing room-mates. However, it can also give life a fresh look.

As for me, it's not enough. So, I move walls too.