• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

What do you use for dry, split skin on your hands?

Passingtime2

Each winter I fight having my fingers and thumbs bleeding from being not only cut up and banged up, but from the skin drying out to the point it literally splits open and bleeds. I work outside and also on all sorts of vehicles in my barn. I constantly have to use tough cleaners on them to get all the grease and grime off them. I've used "Udder Balm", Cornhuskers lotion, all sorts of hand lotion, and even Vaseline. Still, my hands are sore, rough, thick with calluses, and split open. It actually seems to be far worse where I have thick calluses. You'd think that would be the tougher part, but it's not against splitting open. And, yes, I do try to use gloves most of the time. I wear out several pair each month. Any good ole home remedies, suggestions?
I used to have the same problem and tried many things to heal the cuts and split skin. I dropped my elect shaver one day and went back to a blade. My hands totally healed in about 10-14 days. It was the pre-electric shave I was using! I've not had the problem now that I quit using it. Now been about 15 yrs.

nobull1

This could give you something to think about. I won't get into all the details, as this could be another thread.

About 10 years ago I started taking Lipitor/Crestor for slightly high cholesterol. After seeing Doctors/Dermatologist I found out "myself" I had contact dermatitis that was caused by the Lipitor/Crestor. This made a mess out of my hands and around my eyes...blood everywhere(between my fingers as well as cracks, and the back of my hands. The symptoms were quite similar to simple dry hands. For years I was on three types of steroid creams as well as prescription protect ants. I had to use nitrile gloves for the work I did as it involved grease and oil and washing my hands half a dozen times a day. After quiting the Lipitor it has taken 6 years, so far, to get back to 80% normal skin. I used to use 1-2 tubes a month of cream to control my problem. Now I use about 1 tube a year of the mildest cream. This isn't a solution but it might be a contributing problem. I could be the poster boy for anti cholesterol drugs. In the end I probably had 20 side effects of which contact dermatitis was one.

Ice Queen

Bronze Member
SUPER Site Supporter
I keep telling you - go stroke a sheep, you can't beat lanolin. Ain't you folks got any sheep?

working woman

Site Supporter
Just read an blurb in a health magazine. Said people who suffer from this in the winter are missing a vitamin the body. It said to take a fish oil, which comes in a gel capsule.

Erik

SelfBane
Site Supporter
ever tried badger balm or burt's bees hand salve?
might also try wal-mart vitamin E cream - or one of the dimethicone enhanced "crack formula" lotions. (like Dr Scholl's heel crack formula)

other thing to do is make sure there's not an ingredient in the lotions you've been using that you're allergic to.
Contact dermatitis is not fun - and once you've sensitized your skin it's REAL hard to get it to heal. (my wife found out this winter the lip balm she was using for "the worst case of chapped lips she'd ever had" contained lanolin - which she's allergic to and was making her lips more chapped so she'd put more on...)

also try to avoid mineral oil, paint thinner, gojo, etc.... because all of them strip your natural skin oils.

good luck!

rback33

Hangin in Tornado Alley
SUPER Site Supporter
Bump.

You ever get your problem cleared up Brent? I have a buddy whose hands get the same way. Mine start to get that way, but I just slather lotion to them when it happens. My right hand was soaking in gasoline for like 30 minutes the a few weeks ago. It was burning like hell when I was done. They got washed real good in dish soap, a shower and liberal slathering of lotion. Seems funny to say I was liberal about something....:bonk:

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
What's funny is that I just came in from working on the barn and was actually biting the split thick skin off the edges of my fingers. My desk job and my 'country dude' job just seem to be opposites for my hands. I still haven't found anything that really helps. Yeah, I know, waaa...

urednecku

Site Supporter
What's funny is that I just came in from working on the barn and was actually biting the split thick skin off the edges of my fingers. My desk job and my 'country dude' job just seem to be opposites for my hands. I still haven't found anything that really helps. Yeah, I know, waaa...

Need some cheese?:poke: