• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Fiat confirms: Jeep will offer DIESEL engine options

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
As we taxpayers bought and paid for Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep, and then so lovingly gave the company well below cost to Fiat, the new ownership of the company has decided to grant us one favor. They are giving us diesel engines again!

But not until 2013. That actually works well for me. I'll probably be replacing my Touareg in 2013.

First up will apparently be the JEEP Grand Cherokee, possibly followed by the Dodge Durango and Chrysler 300/Dodge Charger and even the Ram 1500?

http://www.leftlanenews.com/diesel-...d-cherokee-other-large-chrysler-vehicles.html

Jeep has announced that the diesel option would be available by late 2011 in past announcements by the media, but the most current announcement seems to have been firmed up by the president of Fiat's US division (Chrysler). Jeep had been offering a diesel engine in the past, those vehicles are in high demand in the used market. Emissions issues caused the discontinuation of the option.

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
They have now started production of them in the Jefferson North Assembly plant in Detroit. For some reason, the specifics are still hush, hush, but production has started. My subscription auto industry magazine also said that, after polling all current auto manufacturers producing over 100 vehicles per year, that electric vehicles are not expected to represent more than perhaps 10% of all vehicle sales even 10 years from now. In so many words, they said that the electric car idea is pretty well dead due to no workable battery solution. So, if you buy a hybrid, be prepared for a "very steep drop" in it's value.

Contrary to what is touted and what has been expected, it seems that customers of hybrid vehicles will get nailed for $8000 to $10,000 battery replacement expenses between 4 and 10 years from when the vehicle was new. :ermm: That certainly throws a huge bucket of cold water on anyone buying a hybrid if they learn of this fact. Supposedly the government is helping the manufacturers keep this fact sort of under the rug for now (IMHO, at the buyer's expense) until a better option comes along. Clearly, they are hoping for some miracle battery break-through in the next 10 years. If not, electric cars will become extinct.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
he Jeep is traditionaly a "work" vehicle. Even if itis a toy.

Diesels are work engines. The need for a dieselversion is real.

All of the vehiclesI own are Chrysler products. But after Fiat came on I lost my infatuation for them.

I had given up on Chrysler altogether. But will take a new look at Chrysler when they finaly do this.

grizzer

I seem to remember the Jeep Liberty diesel was not particularly efficient reducing it to a niche vehicle.

A 1/2 ton with mid-upper 20's mpg would be great.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
I seem to remember the Jeep Liberty diesel was not particularly efficient reducing it to a niche vehicle.

A 1/2 ton with mid-upper 20's mpg would be great.

I can see that as a problem. But then the Liberty was an entry level Jeep. Putting a premium price on it to get a diesel engine seems counter productive, and un marketable.

That sounds like something Darnelli would push. No wonder Chrysler tanked.

nixon

Boned
GOLD Site Supporter
This. Too small and not really useful - even though it was diesel.

Not to mention that it was a shop queen . Jan had one for two years. Multiple egr ,and trans problems .Put us off of Chrysler forever.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
No details on models, but I'd love to have a circa 1979 Mitsubitchi or damn, just went brain dead... Suzuki? diesel pickup.
If Jeep came out with a mini-pickup with a diesel, I'd be all over that. Granted, I'd keep my full size GMC for actually doing things but a little pickup with a diesel would be sweet.

Hey Brent - Remember considering getting those mini-trucks in bulk? A couple of those in diesel would make some serious long-term work-around-the-house vehicles.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
. . .If Jeep came out with a mini-pickup with a diesel, I'd be all over that. . .

I'd stand in line with a bag of cash to order this if it was diesel (and I'd consider it in Gas) if it actually went into mass production.
gladiator-jeep.jpg

But as of now, it appears we will be getting a diesel Cherokee.

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
i would love a little cj type rig with a small 4 banger diesel or a baby cherokee for my wife the problem i see are the new diesels seem to lack the reliability of the older ones the egr problems are not limited to the libertys but also ford pickups and heavy duty cummins engines the duramax motors had their injector problems and power stroke and cat diesels had hui pump problems the nerds took a perfectly good concept and ruined it with comuters

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
I would bet they use transmissions and differentials just on the borderline of the torque provided by the engine.

Wanna bet?

Av8r3400

Gone Flyin'
The problem with the Libby CRD (common rail diesel built by Italian VM Motorai) was the fact it was not available with a manual transmission here in the US. That same motor (also lacking all of the EPA's efficiency robbing BS) is/was available in Europe on their version of the Liberty as well as the Wranglers.

IMO, small diesels and automatic trannies don't get along. Hopefully this time the same mistake won't be made.

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
the feds may have come out with the stupid regulations but it was the nerds that computerized every thing i had a buddy who was a miner had a derocker built up the whole damd thing was computer controled and engineerred by some snot nosed kid i could have done the same thing with som evaves and when something broke it could be fixed as things would happen he would blow out a board and have to wate wees for a replacement to be built and delivered. up here we are out in the middle of nowhere and the mining season is 3 months if you are lucky

Galvatron

Spock and Galvatron < one and the same
lets just hope Fiat have improved their Diesel engines...going back as little as 6 years they were awful power units here in the UK.....noisy smelly things that sounded like shit,very unreliable and gutless.

Fiat have upped their game in the past few years but i feel there are better options and plenty of them when it comes to Diesel.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
lets just hope Fiat have improved their Diesel engines...
...but i feel there are better options and plenty of them when it comes to Diesel.
But Gavli, you are in the UK where the oil burning engines are plentiful and available in virtually every model car. Here in the USA we can count the number of diesel vehicles offered on our fingers and have a few left over!

the feds may have come out with the stupid regulations but it was the nerds that computerized every thing. . . he would blow out a board and have to wate wees for a replacement. . .
This is why I like simple tractors. Even I can fix them!

Galvatron

But Gavli, you are in the UK where the oil burning engines are plentiful and available in virtually every model car. Here in the USA we can count the number of diesel vehicles offered on our fingers and have a few left over!

i know m8 and trust me not many drive diesel fiats....over the years i have driven many work vans and they have all been diesel and the worst by far was a fiat a company i done some work for supplied me,bloody thing spent more time in the shop than on the road,head gasket blew more times than a $2 hooker on a Friday night.

Ford do a pretty damn good diesel lump over here and have for some years...the new ones are i would say the best out there at the moment that are in work vans and even in budget cars....why do Ford not jump on it in America???

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
A couple/few years ago the President of Ford said that America does not want diesel cars in an interview.

Can't tell that by the waiting list to get a VW diesel. People wait for MONTHS to get diesel Jettas.

Galvatron

VW are a good Diesel for sure,i do find it naive that the President of Ford would speak for the American people in that way,seems rather silly that the only way you guy's can get a decent Diesel is to buy German when it would make sense for Ford to import a shed load of their own engines from Europe and slap them in some good selling models like the Focus ect.

Ford should set an example not sweep it under the carpet.

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
For years I wanted a small pickup such as the Ford Ranger with a diesel to drive to work in. Never happened. Ford preferred to sell their piss pot little Rangers with 4.0L that got under 20MPG. :w00t2:

Now I don't drive enough to want one any more. My Sonata gets 35MPG on a trip and that's good enough for me. :biggrin:

Av8r3400

Gone Flyin'
Dodge (Ram??) has/had a wonderful modular diesel, designed by Cummins, to go into their light trucks and SUVs. It was able to be built as a V4, V6 or V8 with varying amounts of power output.

Again, the FEDs in their immeasurable wisdom came up with a long list of regulations that made this project impossible.

[tinfoil hat = on]

Widespread use of light diesels in the US would allow the use of (real) bio fuels that are energy net positive, unlike the ethanol debacle, and would allow a true energy independence. By using these bio products in part or whole as a transportation fuel, it would indefinitely extend the length of time we can function with out the need of imported (terrorist) oil.

But, the Federal government does not want this.

[/tinfoil hat]

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
For years I wanted a small pickup such as the Ford Ranger with a diesel to drive to work in. Never happened. Ford preferred to sell their piss pot little Rangers with 4.0L that got under 20MPG. :w00t2:

Now I don't drive enough to want one any more. My Sonata gets 35MPG on a trip and that's good enough for me. :biggrin:
i think the reason that america dosn't have a diesel engine in their small cars is that the auto makers are getting two much money for the crap they are selling now days just a 3/4 ton 4x4 will cost you around 30 grand now days add some luxery and a diesel engine the price goes to 60 the average americain keeps their car for 3 to 5 years than trades up for a new er model most people arn't like me baught my 89 dodge diesel new november of 89 and still driving it today if you paied 25 k for a car would you want to trade up in a couple of years or would you want to get your moneys worth out of it

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
I also think the filling process needs to be improved. My wife refuses to drive a diesel. Not because of the noise (old school diesels), or adding Urea (new school diesels), but because it is almost impossible to refill your fuel tank without leaving stinking like diesel fuel. The plastic gloves do not help. Somebody needs to come up with a better way to do it.

Me, I like the smell of diesel. Loved my old school 1982 300SD 5 cylinder Benz. Wife hated it. I had that baby tuned so nice, clicked and clanged like music.