• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Tucker with Jeep engine

muley180

Up until this point, I was under the impression that other than flat head Fords in early Tuckers and Ford Anglia engines in Kittens that Tucker used Chrysler/ Dodge engines. I have a 500 series Tucker with a Jeep 230 C.I.D. Tornado engine and a Borg Warner T-98 4 speed transmission. After careful inspection it looks as if it came frome the factory with this engine/trans combo. If it did not, someone did a very good engine/ trans swap. Can anyone tell me if this engine/trans combo is original and if so was it a special order deal or regular production? Any info would be helpful. Thanks in advance.

California

Charter Member
Site Supporter
I don't know the answer but the following might suggest some further research:

I thought Jeep's earliest flathead 6 was a Continental engine that was also used in other cars that are now forgotten. Sort of a generic engine built by Continental for all the low volume producers. So maybe Tucker sourced some early engines from Continental???

And somewhere rolling around in the back of my head is "Continental Red Ball Six". This might be unrelated, it's just something that stuck in my mind. That name might be a key for some research.

mtncrawler

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I have also seen steel track Tuckers with Chevy 283 engines that appeared to be factory installed. Suspect that Tucker would build to spec if there was a multi unit contract on the line.

muley180

I answered my own question. I located a advertisement for the 500 series cat and it clearly states that other than the 115 hp Chrysler engine, the 140 hp Jeep engine was an option. That would be the Jeep Tornado SOHC engine I have. P.S. this engine is on e-bay for sale and I will soon list some of the drivetrain componants such as the transmission (BW T-98 4 spd), the driveshafts, the 5th wheel assemblies, springs and axles. Also, this was what I believe to be a 540A according to the frame. These were the wide cabs. I cant find any info on these. Anyone know anything about them? Thanks to all.

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
the jeep motor was a good motor but didn't like to be reved too high tended to throw timing chains

Blackfoot Tucker

GOLD Site Supporter
When I was a "youngster" my Dad ordered a 1961 Jeep FC-170 truck that came from the factory with the 226 cid flathead 6. The engine was built by Continental for Jeep.

I learned to drive on that and my recollection is that it was pretty gutless.

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
When I was a "youngster" my Dad ordered a 1961 Jeep FC-170 truck that came from the factory with the 226 cid flathead 6. The engine was built by Continental for Jeep.

I learned to drive on that and my recollection is that it was pretty gutless.
what he has is a jeep buildt and desighned mitor it had a overhead cam and timing chain they were known to have pretty good power to weight and were torquie compaired to other motors of its size but they were way ahead of their time and suffered because the heavy timing chain didnt like to be reved too high and moste trucks of that time had low gears 4 speed transmissionswith no overdrive GI's could kill one in a m715 in as little as 30k trying to run them on the highway