Forums Forums - Off Topic Forum FUN

Go Back   Forums Forums - Off Topic Forum FUN > Agriculture & DIY Forums > Agriculture & Rural Living Forum

Old 05-23-2017, 01:58 PM
Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt

Thanked 3,967 Times in 1,883 Posts
Melensdad has a spectacular aura aboutMelensdad has a spectacular aura about
Arrow Weeks of rain = Mosquitos >>> bought an electric Mosquito Trap

We have been having heavy rains and lots of standing water.

Weather has been a bit too cool most days to relax outside so I've not been bitten but clearly we have conditions in place to have a horrid year for mosquitos. Actually with woods on the west and north sides of my home, every year is pretty much a bad year for mosquitos for us.

Last year I used a spray that worked pretty well, its a hose end sprayer product and it lasts for about of month in controlling the pests. But with a new puppy I'm a bit hesitant to expose a 9 week old floppy dog who likes to bite grass, flowers, etc to whatever chemicals are in the spray.

This year I opted to buy this trap, paid $89 for it from Sams Club >>> https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...&tag=jdteta-20

Put it together until yesterday mid-afternoon. Checked it today, after it had been on for less than 18 hours, and there were a couple hundred mosquitos trapped inside. Apparently the key is to let these run day & night because you are trying to break the breeding cycle of the mosquitos. It says it may take more than a week to begin to get good results.

FWIW, it is nearly silent, it does NOT 'zap' the bugs. It traps them and dehydrates them. There is a slight fan sound if you get close to the trap but you have to be very close to hear it.

To make my trap more 'attractive' to mosquitoes I hung an "Octenol Mosquito Attractant" inside my trap.

And with my trap there is a screw on screen area that holds all the captured bugs while they die. It is below the suction fan. So I hung the attractant lure from the bottom of the fan with the assumption that the fan would blow over the attractant and spread its smell out through the screen. That is my theory and I'm sticking with it. Besides it was an easy place to hang the attractant so, being a lazy man, I took the easy method.

I purchased the attractant at Menards. I think it was Black Flag brand but tossed out the package so I'm not positive. Cost for the attractant was maybe $7 and should last about 4 weeks before I need to replace it.

As for the spray that I used LAST year, it was a CUTTER brand product. It worked very well but you need to spray everything. And get the spray into the plants, bushes, under the leaves, etc because that is where mosquitoes shelter from wind. If you do NOT have kids/pets to worry about and want to control mosquitoes then I would recommend this CUTTER stuff.

BECAUSE of the new puppy I'm a little worried about the chemicals so I bought an eco-friendly product this year. Probably just as toxic? Cost twice as much! But I feel better about using it, likely just ignorant?

In any case, photos below of the new electric mosquito trap ... the CUTTER yard spray that I highly recommend ... and the new eco-stuff that I have not used yet because of rainy conditions.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2017-05-23 at 12.50.43 PM.png (39.1 KB, 49 views)
File Type: png Screen Shot 2017-05-23 at 12.51.32 PM.png (101.5 KB, 51 views)
File Type: png Screen Shot 2017-05-23 at 12.52.05 PM.png (141.0 KB, 52 views)

"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion:
the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases,
while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage
of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force."
- Ayn Rand
Old 05-23-2017, 06:57 PM
Silver Member

Thanked 1,324 Times in 594 Posts
waybomb will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Weeks of rain = Mosquitos >>> bought an electric Mosquito Trap

We are on the St Joe River. But we have our friends that keep all the bugs and spiders away and off the building and the boat - thousands of swallows.

They do an awesome job.

Kinda neat sitting on the dock and these little guys kamikaze pilots buzz your head as they go after flying insects. At dusk they come out in great big clouds of swallows. Very cool watching them do their aerial show as a group.

Can you somehow attract these little dive bombers to your property/area?

I'd rather be burning gas up at an alarming rate in Plain Vanilla.
Old 05-23-2017, 08:52 PM
Bronze Member

JimVT is on a distinguished road

I have 4 bat houses on my barn.
#185 snow trac
2004 pistenbully canyon
Old 05-23-2017, 09:02 PM
Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by waybomb View Post
... thousands of swallows.

They do an awesome job.
Can you somehow attract these little dive bombers to your property/area?
We have bats. Lots of bats. But with the woods and the water (slow streams on the north and west) we have more mosquitos than the bats can control, especially when we have this much rain and there are flooded farm fields.

- Ayn Rand
Old 05-23-2017, 11:57 PM
Gold Member

Thanked 1,723 Times in 934 Posts
EastTexFrank will become famous soon enough

You'll have to let us know if that light continues to work. I am badly in need of something as, like you it's been fairly wet in East Texas and the little buggers are swarming.

About once or twice a year I spray the whole yard with about 100 gallons of insecticide. I don't like doing it but, on the other hand, you have to do something or you'll be eaten alive. The rest of the time I use a Black Flag fogger all round the house that gives some relief for a couple of days. You just have to keep on keeping on with it.

I was always told that UV light didn't attract mosquitoes. You needed something that put out carbon dioxide or a an "attractant" to lure them in. Please give me an update after it's been working for a while.

For the record we have swifts, Martins and bats and they can't keep up but they do get FAT.

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them. John Wayne as JB Books in "The Shootist".
Old 05-24-2017, 09:11 AM
Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastTexFrank View Post
You'll have to let us know if that light continues to work.

I was always told that UV light didn't attract mosquitoes. You needed something that put out carbon dioxide or a an "attractant" to lure them in. Please give me an update after it's been working for a while...
Clearly just a very short time frame, so not a good time to judge, but it is catching them before they bite me. I popped open the trap again and it has hundreds and hundreds of mosquitos inside.

I cannot tell you if it is the UV light or if it is the attractant that I added??? What I can tell you is that I have been outside with the new puppy very frequently. Morning, noon and night. So far I have not been bitten (well maybe by the puppy) but not by a mosquito.

So just a preliminary observation ... it seems to work.

- Ayn Rand
Old 05-30-2017, 09:02 AM
Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt

FWIW it has been about a week since my last report.

I have not been bitten by a mosquito in the area where the Mosquito Trap sits. And by area I mean the entire yard area which is bordered by woods on one side, the house, the pool & hillside and then my workshop/garage on the far side. That area is roughly 65' by 150' of fenced yard. I've been buzzed by a few but so far I'm bite free.

- Ayn Rand
Old 06-07-2017, 12:19 AM
Gold Member

Thanked 1,723 Times in 934 Posts
EastTexFrank will become famous soon enough

Melensdad, I took your advice and drove to Sam's and got the mosquito trap. I also took your advice on using mosquito attractant.

It's been up and running for about 5 days now and it seems to be working. After the first night I just had to check it. I took off the bottom and about 20 bugs flew out, mainly moths and beetles. I didn't so much send them to the cemetery as stick them in jail overnight. There were quite a few mosquitoes in there though. I didn't count them but I'd guess that there were 20 or 30. These days, before I open it, I give it a quick squirt of bug killer. Since then, I haven't lost one but the number of mossies in the basement is decreasing. I'll have to move it around and find the best place to set it.

The rain is supposed to quit after today so maybe they will stop eating me.

So far I'm pleased. Thank you Bob.

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them. John Wayne as JB Books in "The Shootist".
Old 06-07-2017, 07:40 AM
Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt

ETF glad yours is also showing results.

My wife and I were actually talking about getting one for the other side of our house where we have a dining patio and that is surrounded on 3 sides by trees/woods/planting and therefore is a mosquito haven.

- Ayn Rand